UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
zigzagguzzi wrote:
So the handicap system encourages breaking the law…speeding….interesting.
the better handicaps are lower than the designated standard. find a scooter to be below the 100% handicap and you'll be good.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax (SOLD)
UTC quote
I wound up finishing 22nd overall on my 2015 Smax. I had a few issues along the way... a major Day 3 navigation issue that found me going up a Logging Operation road in the NM mountains and an electrical gremlin that was killing the bike on Days 5 & 6. I also dumped the bike near the end of day 2 in the Infamous Sand Trap that claimed at least 15 riders (I cracked a rib on my left side that day - still hurts like hell when I sneeze) and again at the start of Day 3 in a gravel trap in front of the official hotel.

But I had a great trip! I had never ridden most of these areas and was enthralled with Arizona. The contrast of the desert floor to ascending through a pine forest east of Sedona was remarkable. I am not a fan of NM, where the roads were like riding a jackhammer for hours at a time - the pavement there was badly rippled and heaved. The swarm of giant grasshoppers encountered in Oklahoma was literally biblical - I thought it was a plague of locusts. And they hurt when you hit them at 60 mph. I also never had to don my rain gear on this trip - quite a surprise!

I chose the Smax primarily to keep my speeds below 70 mph, which was where I spent the majority of my time. I could regularly hit and hold 62-65 mph, but did see bursts upwards of 78-80 on downhill stretches. It allowed me to be moderately competitive without pushing beyond my skills.

The Smax does outperform it's handicap. Where the Smax really shines is in the corners. I could out-brake (or not brake at all) most other scoots and carry tremendous speed through quick successive corners. The YSS performance rear shock made a big difference as well. Passing anything going faster than 45 mph though takes planning and good fortune.

The 3 gallon Aux tank allowed me to have one gas stop per day. Each time you get off the scoot, it gets harder to get back on.

There are several other scoots capable of outperforming their handicaps, but these scoots are typically more than 10 years old now and <= 200cc in displacement. If you choose to ride one of these, be sure to prep the bike as best as possible, carry spares for known problems, and understand the limitations of the scoot (air cooled, small wheels, drum brakes). Choosing a bike specifically for it's handicap comes with challenges and compromises.

I won't be on the next one in 2025, but look forward to doing another after that. I will likely ride my 2007 GTS250 in full tourist mode.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
starreem wrote:
Yikes! looks like a costly wrong turn for #54 on day 2

I wish safe journeys for all. I've enjoyed watching the progress on the real time rider map. Not sure I've got what it takes anymore for another cross country odyssey.
That was one of the ways to get bonus photo without riding dirt that dumped about 20 scooters.
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 07 LX150, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 07 LX150, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
Ahhhhh! Thanks for that explanation. Clicking on a rider would show a purple route. It didn't look like cell tower anomalies (which several to those purple straight lines looked like.) Glad you came out of that ride relatively unscathed.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Did I hear right that a Royal Alloy finished the Rally ?

Please confirm.
@clampett avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022&2023 Primavera 150

Hooked
@clampett avatar
2022&2023 Primavera 150
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Did I hear right that a Royal Alloy finished the Rally ?

Please confirm.
https://scootercannonball.com/results/2023/contest/20230500000

Edit: Finished #75
ID #299
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Confirmed. Thank you.

Who'd have thought it.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0139s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0042s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]