@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2009 GTS250, Ducati Monster M900, KTM 390 Adventure, Honda CR125

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
UTC quote
I am in the process of installing a Garmin Zumo XT2 onto one of my bikes, wiring it directly into a fused accessory port supplied by the bike.

Without going into the embarrassing details, I cut off a pigtail lead connection that Garmin soldered to the wiring harness. Basically they soldered heavier gauge + and - pigtail wires to the thinner primary wire that goes up to the head unit. This heavier gauge pigtail was to be crimped onto male spade connectors and plugged into the bike's female connector ports.

I now need to solder new heavier gauge wires and recreate the pigtail. The only problem is there are no markings on the heavier gauge cut wires to identify the gauge / AWG to use. There must be a reason Garmin increased the wire gauge for the pigtail.

I'm debating between 18 and 16, but really it's a guess. I have a 'ticket' in with Garmin, but I can't imagine this is more than just understanding wiring!

Thoughts?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
First thought that came to me -- I would grab my wire stripper tool that has holes for stripping different gauges of wire and use that to measure the size
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Doesn't matter - the current is tiny, so use whatever you have to hand that will crimp properly into the terminals. even 22 awg will be fine. You can double-over (more then once if necessary!) the end of the wire to fit snugly into the terminal before crimping.
OP
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Doesn't matter - the current is tiny, so use whatever you have to hand that will crimp properly into the terminals. even 22 awg will be fine. You can double-over (more then once if necessary!) the end of the wire to fit snugly into the terminal before crimping.
Thanks Jim, I have 18 awg on hand. Do you think Garmin added the larger gauge pigtail so that it would crimp easier into the terminal? The wires that run up to the head unit are quite small.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
Thanks Jim, I have 18 awg on hand. Do you think Garmin added the larger gauge pigtail so that it would crimp easier into the terminal? The wires that run up to the head unit are quite small.
Both that and for robustness, as the wire won't be static, but moved whenever the battery is taken out. They may well buy in those wires with the terminals already on them, and just add their own device on the ends.
@slowpoke avatar
UTC

Hooked
1952 allstate (early), 1958 allstate, 2009 S150, 2001 ET2

Hooked
@slowpoke avatar
1952 allstate (early), 1958 allstate, 2009 S150, 2001 ET2
UTC quote
With DC voltage drop is the concern. You use bigger wire size not for the current it can hold but for the distance it is going to avoid voltage drop.
DC is a whole different animal than AC you use in a house.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
This is a low current device, even when charging. 22 awg has a resistance of about 20 ohms for 1000 ft. So 0.2 ohms for 10 ft, 0.1 ohm for 5 ft, which is about the maximum extra length you'd need to connect direct to a battery in a motorcycle.

Lets say the device takes a maximum of 1A, which is way more than it actually would. The power dissipated over the length of the 5ft would be 0.1W (I^2 x R) - which is tiny. That's not going to warm up anything. The voltage drop would be 0.1V - which is inconsequential as the 12V goes into the Garmin 12V to 5V converter before going on to the Zumo.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
How long was the original pigtail? If only a few inches, the gauge is pretty much inconsequential. I would happily use 18g and not think twice about it if that's what I had on hand.
OP
@shebalba avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@shebalba avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
How long was the original pigtail?
If the entire cable was 4', 4" of it was the heavier gauge.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Shebalba wrote:
If the entire cable was 4', 4" of it was the heavier gauge.
Not really worth worrying about, then.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0093s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0032s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]