OP
@outkastmike avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS300 HPE Supertech & Vespa Sprint vlb

@outkastmike avatar
UTC quote
Apologies if this has been discussed before.

My 2020 Vespa Gts300 HPE has struggled to start a couple of times after a short journeys.
After sitting for a few months over wintertime i took it out and rode it for 8 miles befor stopping for fuel and after pushing the start button it would barely turn over and took several minutes and a few attemps to get it to go.
I presumed the battery was on the way out due to sitting over winter so replaced it and all was fine then i went for a ride out (100 miles) on it stopping numerous times with no starting issues.
But went out today and the exact same thing happened again after stopping after 8 miles or so to get fuel it was again was if the battery was weak and would struggle to turn over but i managed to get it started after letting the scooter sit for 5 minutes but it needed 3 or 4 attempts to start but i got home without issue.
After getting home i tried to start it at home and typically it starts everytime without a problem and its showing 12.6 volts on the screen before i push the start button and then goes up to 14.7V when ticking over

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
Is that the original battery? Did you keep it on a battery tender over the winter?
Sounds like you need a new battery
OP
@outkastmike avatar
UTC

@outkastmike avatar
UTC quote
wbdvt wrote:
Is that the original battery? Did you keep it on a battery tender over the winter?
Sounds like you need a new battery
Its currently on a replacement battery.
It has continued with the starting problem after i fitted a new battery which i fully charged prior to intalling.
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
UTC quote
What is the voltage at the battery around 3000 rpm?
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
2001 GTS Super (white), 2021 GTS Super (yellow), 1976 Bianchi Snark moped, 1980 General 5 Star moped
UTC quote
Read the below service bulletin from Piaggio. My 2021 GTS HPE had the identical symptoms as your 2020 GTS HPE. Mine was fixed under warranty and have not had a hot start problem since.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10178216-0001.pdf
OP
@outkastmike avatar
UTC

@outkastmike avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for the advice.
Sadly it looks like i may have the hot start issue.
I had it parked up over winter and prior to that i hadn't had any issues with it not starting even though its only done 2500 miles since new in summer 2020.

My other question is for people who have experienced this issue and did it happen everytime it was stopped after a journey or just intermittently as i rode my supertech the other day to try to replicate the issue and it started ok without issue.
@shaardvark avatar
UTC

Hooked
2023 GTS300 Super

Hooked
@shaardvark avatar
2023 GTS300 Super
UTC quote
Does anyone know if they corrected the problem with the 2023 HPE(2) engines?
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
outkastmike wrote:
Thanks for the advice.
Sadly it looks like i may have the hot start issue.
I had it parked up over winter and prior to that i hadn't had any issues with it not starting even though its only done 2500 miles since new in summer 2020.

My other question is for people who have experienced this issue and did it happen everytime it was stopped after a journey or just intermittently as i rode my supertech the other day to try to replicate the issue and it started ok without issue.
Mine wouldn't start if you shut it down for a few minutes and then tried to restart it. If you shut it down and immediately restart it, it will start. I had to explain this to my dealer as he was shutting it off and then immediately trying to restart it. It started every time. I told the tech to shut it off and wait at least a minute or two and he would be able to replicate the problem. He did what I told him to do and it would not restart.
OP
@outkastmike avatar
UTC

@outkastmike avatar
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
Mine wouldn't start if you shut it down for a few minutes and then tried to restart it. If you shut it down and immediately restart it, it will start. I had to explain this to my dealer as he was shutting it off and then immediately trying to restart it. It started every time. I told the tech to shut it off and wait at least a minute or two and he would be able to replicate the problem. He did what I told him to do and it would not restart.
Sounds similar to whats happened to me twice.
Both times it happened was after filling up the tank at a local garage after a 6 mile journey.
Second time it happened i just sat it for 10 minutes and it struggled to start but did start but once running it ran fine on the journey home.
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
outkastmike wrote:
Sounds similar to whats happened to me twice.
Both times it happened was after filling up the tank at a local garage after a 6 mile journey.
Second time it happened i just sat it for 10 minutes and it struggled to start but did start but once running it ran fine on the journey home.
Yup, the key to replicate the issue is to wait a minute or two after shutting her down. Mine also wouldn't start after refueling because it would sit for a few minutes before I tried to restart her. The longer it sits and cools off, the likelihood it will restart. That's why after 10 minutes yours did finally restart, albeit slowly. Mine would do the same exact thing.
OP
@outkastmike avatar
UTC

@outkastmike avatar
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
Yup, the key to replicate the issue is to wait a minute or two after shutting her down. Mine also wouldn't start after refueling because it would sit for a few minutes before I tried to restart her. The longer it sits and cools off, the likelihood it will restart. That's why after 10 minutes yours did finally restart, albeit slowly. Mine would do the same exact thing.
I've tried three times to replicate the issue by taking it out for a ride and after stopping it and giving it a few minutes and it starts up every time without issue.
@mopedlar avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@mopedlar avatar
UTC quote
outkastmike wrote:
I've tried three times to replicate the issue by taking it out for a ride and after stopping it and giving it a few minutes and it starts up every time without issue.
Did you get the motor good and hot? Make sure to ride it for a couple of miles before you do the check.
OP
@outkastmike avatar
UTC

@outkastmike avatar
UTC quote
Mopedlar wrote:
Did you get the motor good and hot? Make sure to ride it for a couple of miles before you do the check.
Yeah,i rode it for a similar amount of miles each time as when it failed to start and let it sit for a few minutes before trying to start it.

Both times it originally failed to start was directly after refueling it from a near empty fuel tank so not sure if that had any significance with the fault.

Edit: Took it out a fourth time and thrashed it for the last five miles and it started without issue after leaving it for a few minutes.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0115s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0053s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]