@phaskins avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 250ie

Addicted
@phaskins avatar
2006 250ie
UTC quote
My side stand was not retracting as it should so I took it off, cleaned and re-greased and put it all back together. Now it slams home, literally, to the point where the rubber stopper can't break the force before the metal part of the stand hits the body. Anyone else have this issue?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
No, but if you want a real experience, ride in sandals and see what happens when it catches your foot. I've done that a couple of times.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
phaskins wrote:
My side stand was not retracting as it should so I took it off, cleaned and re-greased and put it all back together. Now it slams home, literally, to the point where the rubber stopper can't break the force before the metal part of the stand hits the body. Anyone else have this issue?
a few photos of the hinge and spring with the stand both up and down and from different sides may help us
OP
@phaskins avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 250ie

Addicted
@phaskins avatar
2006 250ie
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
a few photos of the hinge and spring with the stand both up and down and from different sides may help us
It's off at the moment but I'll take some pics after I get a couple new o-rings (in case that's the problem).
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 07 LX150, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 07 LX150, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
Some folks remove one of the springs to discourage the stand from self retracting when parked on unlevel surfaces. Maybe make the spring return less aggressive for you?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
starreem wrote:
Some folks remove one of the springs to discourage the stand from self retracting when parked on unlevel surfaces.
They can bounce and bang when you hit rough surfaces.
@miguel avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@miguel avatar
2009 GTV250 (Gone), 2003 Inder trailer (also gone), 2001 BMW R1100RT
UTC quote
starreem wrote:
Some folks remove one of the springs to discourage the stand from self retracting when parked on unlevel surfaces. Maybe make the spring return less aggressive for you?
In general, you need both springs in case one of the springs breaks. You don't want to discover your side-stand is dangling from the hinge because the single spring is broken, specially when making a sharp left turn. IIRC, one spring fits inside the other and they both attach to the same posts on the side stand and on the scooter frame.

Miguel
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
not directly of assistance ...

for a short time I had this side stand foot enlarger and it would bang against the body if closed quickly or going over a bump so I added a rubber lump to the underside of the body which cured the problem. it ended up getting torn off when I was riding over some bumps in a camping area (ie not on the road) and did even scrape on the road a couple of times on some tight corners

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002604248381.html
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0125s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0034s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]