@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
I rode my motorcycle for the first time yesterday (in 3 months), and it actually felt a bit weird to ride, it felt loud, slow to turn, and just not fun.

So a little background, I have been riding motorcycles constantly since 1990. I have owned 4 BMW K-bikes, and 4 Harleys (currently have a street glide CVO), have ridden over 200K miles on BMWs and over 150K on Harleys, including all but 8 states in the lower 48, and 2 Ironbutt events.

As motorcycles have gotten better, they isolated you more and more from the basic riding experience, and the Vespa gives me that old first motorcycle basic feel of riding a light nimble 2 wheeler on a nice twisty back road.

One of the reasons I bought the Vespa, was for a possible replacement for my motorcycle. So I'm on the fence of selling the Harley next spring if I dont start to ride it more often. Anyone else experience this????
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Haven't myself, but I've seen a lot of similar comments over the years. Not everyone is giving up their MCs of course, but hey, it's a great thing to not have to feel badly about a planned tradeoff, no?

Oh, and to answer the original question, yes.
@kz1000st avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250

Molto Verboso
@kz1000st avatar
Dongfang 170cc, CF Moto Fashion 250
UTC quote
That's why my bikes are oldies. No isolation and all the experience. Tomorrow I'll be leaving for Americade and be seeing all the CVO's on trailers and pickups. My 40 year old Kawasaki will just be soaking up the miles with a smile.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Well....a street glide does feel loud, slow to turn and just not fun to many of other motorcyclists too

I'm only half kidding - I do feel the same as kz1000ST.

Hence my fondness of naked, simple bikes and scoots.
My Triumph? Well, it does feel a bit loud and the modern design is unfortunately heavy...but it ain't slow to turn
@bluside avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie

Addicted
@bluside avatar
2020 GTS 300, 2011 LX150ie
UTC quote
I can relate totally. I've been riding over 50 years and have had all kinds of bikes. Many, many miles on Harleys, BMWs, Triumphs, Hondas and others. I also used to fly small airplanes and retired flying jumbo jets.

I'm 67 now and those days are just great memories of my past. All I have now are 2 Vespas. Wouldn't change a thing. I'm very happy.
@clampett avatar
UTC

Hooked
2022 GTS 300 HPE, 2022 Primavera 150

Hooked
@clampett avatar
2022 GTS 300 HPE, 2022 Primavera 150
UTC quote
Similar experience to bluside, except instead of going bigger on aircraft, I went smaller (American Falcon).

Likewise on 2 wheels. I used to try to travel as far as possible on each ride. Coast 2 coast (USA) as well as N/S of the border. In 2004 my brother got me to buy a Silverwing with him (Told him I'd match what he bought thinking he was going for a Gold Wing). It was the most fun I'd had on 2 wheels. So I tried other maxi scooters. Last maxi was the AK550. But while they prepped my AK, I kept looking at the Vespa. When I returned for service, there was another guy(customer) about my age started talking to me. He'd bought a Vespa just a few months earlier. He talked me into one.

Now, I'm a Vespa GTS/Liberty 150 owner. Wife calls these my girlfriends. The biggest change for me has been that no matter how far I plan the ride(for pleasure), it still takes all day to get there. 400 mile ride takes all day. 7 mile ride still takes the same amount of time. Something is amiss in the either.

Longer answer for 'YES' to the OP question.
@coddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Addicted
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
UTC quote
Wrong bikes dude, get your arse on a middleweight naked such as the Triumph Street Triple and you will love the power to weight ratio without the discomfort or licence breaking speed tendencies of a sports bike.

Sorry just realised how straight the roads are in the US, perhaps my other ride the Triumph Tiger with its cruise control and ergonomically friendly frame will suit you better?
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
That's why my bikes are oldies. No isolation and all the experience. Tomorrow I'll be leaving for Americade and be seeing all the CVO's on trailers and pickups. My 40 year old Kawasaki will just be soaking up the miles with a smile.
I use to go to Americade, nice rally except for the rain every time I went, not just a shower but all day rain....
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
bluside wrote:
I can relate totally. I've been riding over 50 years and have had all kinds of bikes. Many, many miles on Harleys, BMWs, Triumphs, Hondas and others. I also used to fly small airplanes and retired flying jumbo jets.

I'm 67 now and those days are just great memories of my past. All I have now are 2 Vespas. Wouldn't change a thing. I'm very happy.
Thanks, learning that as long as you still ride and enjoy it, doesn't matter what you ride...
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
Wrong bikes dude, get your arse on a middleweight naked such as the Triumph Street Triple and you will love the power to weight ratio without the discomfort or licence breaking speed tendencies of a sports bike.

Sorry just realised how straight the roads are in the US, perhaps my other ride the Triumph Tiger with its cruise control and ergonomically friendly frame will suit you better?
I agree, and have ridden a Triple before, nice bike. The big dressers are just more comfortable when you doing 500-600 mile days...
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Clampett wrote:
Similar experience to bluside, except instead of going bigger on aircraft, I went smaller (American Falcon).

Likewise on 2 wheels. I used to try to travel as far as possible on each ride. Coast 2 coast (USA) as well as N/S of the border. In 2004 my brother got me to buy a Silverwing with him (Told him I'd match what he bought thinking he was going for a Gold Wing). It was the most fun I'd had on 2 wheels. So I tried other maxi scooters. Last maxi was the AK550. But while they prepped my AK, I kept looking at the Vespa. When I returned for service, there was another guy(customer) about my age started talking to me. He'd bought a Vespa just a few months earlier. He talked me into one.

Now, I'm a Vespa GTS/Liberty 150 owner. Wife calls these my girlfriends. The biggest change for me has been that no matter how far I plan the ride(for pleasure), it still takes all day to get there. 400 mile ride takes all day. 7 mile ride still takes the same amount of time. Something is amiss in the either.

Longer answer for 'YES' to the OP question.
I like the long pleasure rides too.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Paluss wrote:
I rode my motorcycle for the first time yesterday (in 3 months), and it actually felt a bit weird to ride, it felt loud, slow to turn, and just not fun.
Yup, you're spoiled. Now you know why my Vespa has 12+k and my motorcycle has only 2+k (purchased within months of each other). I do love my Guzzi, but she just isn't as much fun to toss around.
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300

Addicted
UTC quote
Yep, sold a beautiful 2018 Z900RS last summer, I had it set up nice blacked out trim, clip ons, flashed ECU, my 14th or 15th bike,
most all others were sake rockets and a couple GPZs I started on in the 80s.

The 900RS was a fast(ish) refined ride, quiet and smooth at low RPMs and growled like an old KZ1000 at higher revving, it was great for fast freeway speeds and wide open canyon roads, ok for the city but a bit more work especially with my little passenger.

The Vespas are an absolute joy to ride in the city and canyon roads, the GTS 300 handles the extra weight really well and my passengers are also much more comfortable on it.

Last but not least, it's so hard to drive a fast(ish) motorcycle slow, was really hard not to hit triple digits at least a couple times a ride
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Vespa GTS SS

Vespa GTS SS
UTC quote
I rode big 3 Japanese bikes from 80 to 96. Then 3 years ago I had tired of riding my Harleys since the first one in 96 and sold my last of about 8 different ones. I guess I just wasn't enjoying it anymore. Partly due to age and slower reflexes taking some fun away and also just boredom and the loss of friends I used to ride with. I got a 300 Honda scooter a month ago, was having a good bit of fun when I found Vespa clubs, got a new GTS and all of the sudden there is good people to ride with and it's fun again. Rode the GTS 200 miles the first day and smiled every one of them. I hadn't rode a 200 mile day in years.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
kz1000ST wrote:
This is exactly how I feel. I love my 74 y/o Harley-Davidson. I don't need or want a radio, cruise control, navigation, or any other such "conveniences" on my PTW. I feel so much more connected to the experience of riding without all the distractions. My old Harley hasn't been on a trailer since I've owned it.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
There are a lot of options between underpowered ponderous beast and nimble urban runabout. SV650 and FZ6 come readily to mind.
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
There are a lot of options between underpowered ponderous beast and nimble urban runabout. SV650 and FZ6 come readily to mind.
Had a FZ-6 naked, and later a faired FZ-6 S2.

All I'd say is the suspension, brakes and tyres aren't up to the potential of the engine. Mind, I'd just come from a K5 GSX-R600, and it was a bit of a shock. 😉

Don't know what super-sports are like nowadays, but they were VERY easy to ride when I had them. Never had a tank slapper, never locked a wheel, never had an issue.

Stick a slightly de-tuned R6 engine into a commuter/tourer frame and call it a day - that was my perception of the FZ6 bikes TBH. A significant re-calibration of braking and cornering was required. 😳

Harleys are lovely, but heavy and not exactly nimble. No twisty road material. My next bike will probably be a ZX4-R. Don't want silly amounts of power, but certainly want to enjoy some good agility, suspension and brakes. 👍

PS faired bike all the way (unless you want to grow massive neck muscles). 😂
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I use to think I needed a liter bike, made sense for me at the time for the longish daily freeway commutes, the occasional monster road trips to the mid-west and Sierras but smaller bikes are just better suited for the city and more local riding I do now.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Coddy wrote:
Depends where you are in the US. We live in Eastern Tennessee. The only straight roads around us are the interstates and a few sections of 129 which about 35 miles south turns into a mountain road which includes a little strech known as Tail of the Dragon that some folks have heard of.

Now when you get out west there are plenty of long straight roads usually posted between 65 and 85 mph.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:
Depends where you are in the US. We live in Eastern Tennessee. The only straight roads around us are the interstates and a few sections of 129 which about 35 miles south turns into a mountain road which includes a little strech known as Tail of the Dragon that some folks have heard of.

Now when you get out west there are plenty of long straight roads usually posted between 65 and 85 mph.
For some reason I thought you lived in the west. You're in my old "home". I grew up in Oak Ridge. Riding the Dragon was a favorite past time 40+ years ago for me. We called it Deal's Gap back in those days. Not sure when it became known as the Dragon. Sometime after I moved away. Some of the best riding in the country is found within a days ride of Knoxville in my opinion.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
For some reason I thought you lived in the west. You're in my old "home". I grew up in Oak Ridge. Riding the Dragon was a favorite past time 40+ years ago for me. We called it Deal's Gap back in those days. Not sure when it became known as the Dragon. Sometime after I moved away. Some of the best riding in the country is found within a days ride of Knoxville in my opinion.
We did until almost two years ago. With the covid shutdowns my medical care for a hear condition also stopped as "not immediately life threatening". As a result my condition deteriorated such that I could no longer live at 10,000' elevation in Breckenridge. My cardiologist said to move below 3,000' so after looking around we decided on Knoxville. Four season, mild winters, 40 miles to Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Houston River at the bottom of our back yard, no income tax, reasonable property taxes and cost of living what's not to like?

I have to agree on the riding. Different than up in the Rockies in some ways but lots of lovely, lovely roads. We live on the southeast side of Knoxville off Old Asheville Highway and John Sevier. Even just a little local rode has me in the hills within minutes.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
I owned 2 SV650s, 1 carby, 1 FI, both great. I have owned over 50 bikes/scooters in my 67 yo life and the SV650 (and the FZ6) are the best all arounders there are. Meanwhile, I am having a blast on my built DRZ400SM - the ultimate hooligan bike. Razz emoticon
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
I much prefer to ride my motorcycles because they have a gearbox.

That trumps all.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
That trumps all.
insert some joke here about Triumphs
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
cdwise wrote:

I agree, I rode that road back in the early 90s when people called it Deals Gap, it gets all the attention, but there are lots of really nice roads in the smoky mountain area. I'm in Maryland, but 60 miles gets me to Skyline Drive and out to route 55, which are some great twisty roads....
OP
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:

That trumps all.
Impressive Ironbutt runs you have, I have done 3 (2 documented) all on a motorcycle, not sure I could do it on a Vespa, been trying to get a friend to do the 50CC Ironbutt, but that window is closing fast....
@happy_wanderer avatar
UTC

Hooked
LML 125 4t & LML 200 4t

Hooked
@happy_wanderer avatar
LML 125 4t & LML 200 4t
UTC quote
It's funny, but this morning I've just returned from a quick supermarket shopping trip using my SYM Joyride 200 automatic, mainly because of its practical luggage carrying capacity - underseat storage and a topbox - and compared with my geared scooters it felt like a limousine!

Smooth and almost silent, and with my pasta, bread and wine safely stored away, the perfect workhorse for the 20 mile round-trip to the store. Not quite so much fun, of course!
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
There may be one more long distance ride left in me. I've postponed it twice this year already.

Possibly late June now.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:

That trumps all.
I have to agree with you there. Clap emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0218s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0056s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]