@feruza avatar
UTC

Hooked
Motovespa 150 GS (1967)

Hooked
@feruza avatar
Motovespa 150 GS (1967)
UTC quote
I have always wanted to ride my Motovespa oldie in Tuscany. I may have the chance this summer.

I live in Spain and I would take a ferry boat to Civitavecchia, and from there anywhere.

I'm just worried about parking at night. I would never park in the streets here in Spain.

Has anyone traveled around Italy with an oldie? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
UTC

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E

Ossessionato
Vespas 1964 GS160, 1965 SS180, 1977 V9A1T, 1983 PX150E
UTC quote
feruza wrote:
I would never park in the streets here in Spain.
Is it about thieves?
Here (Thailand) it's more likely to be a drunk idiot backing into it, knocking it over, and then slyly driving away.
@happy_wanderer avatar
UTC

Hooked
LML 125 4t & LML 200 4t

Hooked
@happy_wanderer avatar
LML 125 4t & LML 200 4t
UTC quote
I've never visited Italy on a scooter, and given the delightful weather in that country, there must be many thousands in use daily, so your bike may well just blend-in with the crowd. As with almost anywhere, I would guess that the risk of theft could be a problem, more so in cities than in the countryside. I never like to leave any scooter of mine unattended for any length of time, especially overnight on the street.
The last time that I went on holiday, I was able to park directly outside the entrance to where I was staying, but still used two locks and a vinyl bike cover to keep prying-eyes off. If you are camping, that may be safer, assuming you can park alongside your tent.

Having said all that, good luck and do enjoy yourself!
UTC

Hooked
PX150E

Hooked
PX150E
UTC quote
Hi, I grew up in Italy, and you are more than justified in worrying about your classic scooter getting stolen there. A real classic like yours are worth quite a bit these days, according to classified ads of the ones for sale.

You should stay overnight in places that will let you secure the scooter inside a locked building or courtyard, and then chain lock it to a permanent structure.

Other than that, enjoy your scooter trip in Italy!
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
When I lived in Madrid, things were always being stolen from my car. Sometimes I'd only be away from my car for 10 minutes and someone had broken in. I'd see old Vespas parked that were missing mirrors, wheels etc. that people just helped themselves to. I imagine that it would be the same in big Italian cities. As sp949 said, I'd check with where I'm staying to see if they have secure parking. Otherwise put it in an underground carpark where at least it's not as visible to thieves.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
feruza wrote:
I have always wanted to ride my Motovespa oldie in Tuscany. I may have the chance this summer.

I live in Spain and I would take a ferry boat to Civitavecchia, and from there anywhere.

I'm just worried about parking at night. I would never park in the streets here in Spain.

Has anyone traveled around Italy with an oldie? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Sounds amazing.

Parking at night:
Find places that provide secure parking and contact the place describing what you need. Many don't actually have on-site parking, but use a local secured parking site by agreement.

The smaller towns in Tuscany are either locals who know each other very well or tourists, unlike the cities. During the day I'd feel okay parking with a cover in the center, to at minimum keep the influencers from posing on it.
I can imagine the hill towns in the summer being impossible to visit unless you're on two wheels. You should find dedicated scooter parking in or very close to the center of any hill town.

On smaller roads, Italian drivers, generally insane, are friendlier towards slower Vespa riders and cyclists. My wife and I rode around southern Tuscany between Sienna, Bagno Vignoni and Montepulciano for three days during the low season.
Still reeling from that experience.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0129s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0033s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]