@roberthuttinger avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Motovespa 150s MK2 65 502m

Enthusiast
@roberthuttinger avatar
Motovespa 150s MK2 65 502m
UTC quote
It will help to ask yourself, "Am I trying to get a 'ready to ride' scoot, or am I willing to dig in and do some work over the next few years?"

I would suggest that if you are not willing to do any work, that you recognize that work will need to be done: occasional cable breakage, oil changes, etc.

Worst case id that there is something happening in the seals, bearings, gears, etc. If you ARE willing to do the work, this can be a 'fun' ongoing project.

I have a '65 MotoVespa 150s MK2, which is a monster... but like Frankenstein, I love my monster! Sourcing specific parts can be frustrating and a Scooby-Doo mystery at times, but I am up for the challenge. Are you?

If not, consider taking time and or money to find a better fit.

I would agree that some potential warning signs are rust etc, Constructive criticism and wisdom can help you arrive at an answer, but remember that haters are gonna hate, and purists usually end up being elitists to a fault.

There are guides on how to spot a 'bodge job' and if you cannot 'tear it open' all you can do is go by the clues.

Get the best you can, and be prepared. There is no real difference between origin, etc... if it is worth it to you, do it!
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
Keep your eyes open locally, and keep hanging around the forum. There are plenty of decent scoots out there and one will turn up for you.

You did the right thing passing on Pinkie. As a general rule, any scooter that has spent time in India is going to have had a hard, hard life … and even a so-called "restored" one is likely pieced together from scrap, with mismatched parts and sketchy welds.

Hang in and good luck on your search!
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
Where are you located? I may have a line on a good US market P-series scoot
OP
UTC

UTC quote
I'm located in Northwest Indiana, right outside of Chicago.
Where can I find this "how to spot a bodge job" guide? That would be a great help!
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0124s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0047s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]