OP
UTC

UTC quote
Looking at getting shorty mirrors, and I'd like to know how the rearward visibility of the triangular mirrors from a Sprint compares to the round mirrors of the Elettrica/Primavera. Thanks!
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
eliu01 wrote:
Looking at getting shorty mirrors, and I'd like to know how the rearward visibility of the triangular mirrors from a Sprint compares to the round mirrors of the Elettrica/Primavera. Thanks!
You want shorty mirrors but also concerned about visibility? 🤦‍♂️

I replaced the short mirrors on my HPE with longer mirrors from a primavera (same style and thread as the HPE) because I missed the visibility that my old GTS had with the longer length.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
I'd go with the Sprint mirrors. The pointy bit gives a bit more view.
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
This shape gives a wider field of vision in my experience (stock mirror on Yamaha Vino and Zuma).
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I've not ridden a Primavera, but the triangular mirrors in Sprint were quite small. OK, but on the small side.
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
With mirrors it's generally the surface area that counts.

The larger the mirror, the more you see, up to a point. Shape doesn't matter much. That's for example the thinking behind the EU rules that require a minimum surface for motorcycle mirrors to be street legal. I don't think the shape is in the rule books, though I might be wrong.

As I live in an area with dense traffic, I like short mirror stems with regular sized mirrors, so I am less likely to hit other vehicles while riding in tight spots.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
I clipped a few car mirrors on my PX whilst filtering. I swapped the standard mirrors for Vespa S mirrors which were a straight swap. The actual mirror size was bigger but the stem shorter. Still I couldn't see what was behind me as well as with the longer stemmed PX mirrors. It's a compromise.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
For the last few years I have favored small round or oval mirrors. Most have been bar ends that are foldable for storage. I set them up to see the cars on the close side to me with very little showing what is behind me for switching lanes. When in traffic is stopped, I line up behind the rear wheel of the car in front of me (never in the middle)and turn the wheel slightly towards the outside of the car in case I need an exit. This also lines up the mirror to the cars coming up from behind incase the cell phone conversation they're on is more important the guy on the scoot in front of them.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
I want the shorty mirrors to make filtering easier. I did the same with my old Genuine Buddy, replacing the stock long round mirrors with shorter rectangular mirrors. This also improved rearward visibility due to the "optimized" shape which put more mirror in the right places. If the Sprint mirrors are wider than Primavera mirrors then it's worth trying out.

Thanks for the info!
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
I've had an elettrica (primavera style) with standard and then shorter mirrors, and now a Sprint with standard and shorter mirrors.

Firstly, on a small frame Vespa - I still have perfect visibility out of both the shorter and longer versions. I don't feel I've lost any viewing angle, and actually prefer the view from the shorter mirrors rather than the larger ones.

For the Primavera ones, these sit quite nicely in line with the end of the handle bars which makes it easier when filtering as I have a nice reference point as to width.

The Sprint ones do extend slightly further - so field of view is slightly better but you have to be more mindful squeezing through gaps.

Overall, my deciding factor would be that I think the round mirrors suit the primavera, and the angular ones suit the sprint.

Just to add though, that the chrome on the SIP ones isn't quite as high quality as the original Piaggio ones. If they rust a bit, you can scrub them with a ball of aluminium cooking foil to remove the rust.

After you wash the bike, it's good to put a bit of WD-40 on a sponge and wipe it over the chrome to prevent this. You can buy better protection products, but most people have WD40 to hand and it seems to be adequate protection until the bike is next washed.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
I read somewhere that shorty mirrors are standard equipment in Asian countries, and I managed to find the part numbers for what look like OEM shorty mirrors out of an online parts catalog. I was then able to find vendors in Japan, Thailand, and Singapore, but the main problem is finding a seller who will ship to the US. Crying or Very sad emoticon
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
eliu01 wrote:
I read somewhere that shorty mirrors are standard equipment in Asian countries, and I managed to find the part numbers for what look like OEM shorty mirrors out of an online parts catalog. I was then able to find vendors in Japan, Thailand, and Singapore, but the main problem is finding a seller who will ship to the US. Crying or Very sad emoticon
Sip:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/mirror-sip-shorty-left-right_MV260903J
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
I prefer to round mirrors but I have no idea its suits your Vespa or not and I have no idea about the visibility of triangular mirrors.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
OK but SIP doesn't actually gave the length of the mirror. All taken on trust, I suppose Sigh emoticon
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
These were my short mirrors on my Elettrica.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
And my short mirrors on my Sprint
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Thanks for the photos, JakeM! Both scoots look great.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
eliu01 wrote:
The original Piaggio Vietnam round chrome ones with two right hand thread mirrors were/are 656215. They were easy to get from Italian distributors at one point. Piaggio stopped selling them to Italian distributors quite a few years back, and that's when companies like SIP and Scooter Center switched to aftermarket versions. You can get shorty mirrors in the US and Europe still, but you can't get the OEM Piaggio Vietnam mirrors any more.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I am unfortunately in the market for a new mirror(s) after someone broke into the garage I was parked in last night.

I'm not totally sure what my options are, but I'm inclined to get the stock one again. I like the aesthetic of the round Vespa mirrors.

I didn't ride any Piaggios in Asia, but I had a hard time getting the Honda/Yamaha mirrors positioned so I could properly see behind me. I feel like my shoulder was always in one of them, and I'm not a particularly stocky dude. Makes me hesitant to go for shorties, even though I do appreciate splitting.

If anyone wants to give importing a try, this is the Pimp My Vespa shop in Hanoi (same region as the Piaggio factory). The dealerships there don't seem to sell parts and accessories; you've gotta go to a shop like this for those.

Mix Up Studio
+84 90 458 28 57
https://maps.app.goo.gl/fGfH3N9778NAGwHA7
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I didn't ride any Piaggios in Asia, but I had a hard time getting the Honda/Yamaha mirrors positioned so I could properly see behind me. I feel like my shoulder was always in one of them, and I'm not a particularly stocky dude. Makes me hesitant to go for shorties, even though I do appreciate splitting.
I agree. The most substantial issue with mirror shape and length of the mirror stalk are whether you have a good line of sight behind you. If you don't, clearance for lane splitting is probably the least of your worries.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0130s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0068s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]