@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
15 years ago, as a 20 year old, I travelled across Italy by bus with my dad on a tour he put on for students. I told him one day I'd redo our trip, but on a motorcycle.

We got home, dad got sick, a few years later he passed away, I started a career, or two, bought and did some renos on a house, or two, and finally it was time.

The plan is the whole country, about 2x by the time I'm done, over about a month. Half of it with the missus, half of it just me.

Please Ask Me Anything and everything.

I'll answer all questions and I'd like to make some content answering all of the questions people might have about something like this... But first I need to know what questions come to mind

Here are the answers to all of your questions and more:

⚠️ Last edited by adri on UTC; edited 2 times
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Those fries they put on their pizzas. They do it everywhere. It's crazy, why would they do that to a pizza? Thats not my question.

Anyway. Please find out. Do they call them French Fries or Freedom Fries?
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
Good luck. Will be amazing. I just watched the Giro di Italia and the roads look incredible. On my bucket list is riding from Spain (where my wife is from) to Croatia ( where my parents are from) taking in every mountain range on the way.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
What bike are you doing this on? And what's your route through Italy?

Are you going to try and visit the Vespa factory in Pontedera?
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200

Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
UTC quote
Awesome!

Are you planning on seeing major tourist sites, or avoiding them?

And who do I call for a bike tow while you're away?!
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Which bike are you taking? The GS?
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I take the liberty of pointing out that in Italy, if you ride without an approved helmet and/or ride hands-free and/or incorrect seating and/or perform a wheelie on your motorcycle may be immobilized / confiscated by the police for up to 60 days (in the event of a repeat offence within 2 years up to 90 days). This also applies to incorrectly attached license plates (e.g. bent up, attachment at too high an angle, lack of legibility). Further driving is prohibited on the spot, fines up to 355€ and confiscation corresponds to a driving ban in Italy with this vehicle for the corresponding time (costs for removal, parking space, etc.).

For a helmet to be considered approved in Europe, it must be tested according to the ECE 22.05 standard or the newer ECE 22.06 standard. Test mark with test number must be sewn on chin strap. In addition, approved helmets often have a sticker on the outer shell.

Edit: The title is "ask me anything", therefore: did you already know that?
⚠️ Last edited by GermanGTSDriver on UTC; edited 3 times
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
I take the liberty of pointing out that in Italy, if you ride without an approved helmet and/or ride hands-free, your motorcycle may be immobilized / confiscated by the police for up to 60 days

I wonder if MC rules were tightened since 1975. One of my cherished memories of Florence was standing near the Duomo when someone on what was likely a dirt bike on the street in front popped a wheelie and rode it the entire width of the building. Gotta love the Italian spirit.

Alas, when I returned it was pedestrian only. We always kill the things we love.
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
I ask that upon your return, from your long awaited venture, you will have had some moments in time to cherish for the rest of your life. OHHH and please, leave the rest of us that will never see where our ancestors emigrated from, some pics of your trip. Ride safe and store the smiles you gather in Italy.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
fledermaus wrote:
I wonder if MC rules were tightened since 1975. One of my cherished memories of Florence was standing near the Duomo when someone on what was likely a dirt bike on the street in front popped a wheelie and rode it the entire width of the building. Gotta love the Italian spirit.

Alas, when I returned it was pedestrian only. We always kill the things we love.
Yes, even a wheelie can lead to confiscation....
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
Yes, even a wheelie can lead to confiscation....
And if the bike's on foreign (non-EU) plates, that's an immediate heads-up.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
And if the bike's on foreign (non-EU) plates, that's an immediate heads-up.
A non-Italian license plate is conspicuous enough. A non-European license plate could make the helmet issue in particular interesting for the carabinieri
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Sounds like a great trip!

Here's my question: What on earth made you think one month was enough to see all of Italy?

@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Why is there a space needle in Toronto?

Also, do you have a schedule? I rode for 2 months and still missed the middle third. Doing two loops in a month seems…aggressive.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
any info on prepping the bike could be interseing (and is this air of ship?)

eg battery disconnect, fuel tank drain, mirror or screen removal to reduce dimensions, have the panniers with or without the bike, ...
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
jess wrote:

Here's my question: What on earth made you think one month was enough to see all of Italy?

Apparently all the posts didn't load for me, or I somehow didn't scroll far enough.

Didn't realize I duped you.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
adri wrote:

Are you really a leprechaun?
What's your address?
Is there an alarm?
Where do you hide the gold?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
Are you really a leprechaun?
What's your address?
Is there an alarm?
Where do you hide the gold?
I already absconded with all the gold. but you can meet me here and we can drink the rest of his beer and rearrange all the tools in different drawers.

maybe take the other bikes out to keep them fresh too.

and cook a nice meal, but totally clean up and do the dishes after.

you know, the considerate things friends would do.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
Didn't realize I duped you.
Oh, not at all. Your recent experience is directly relevant.
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Do you speak Italian?
@jimjar avatar
UTC

Hooked
2012 LX150ie

Hooked
@jimjar avatar
2012 LX150ie
UTC quote
My question is: why didn't you answer any of these great questions? Is this some kind of a joke?
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
Why not on an Italian motorcycle?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
giallo wrote:
Like a Honda SH150!
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Like a Honda SH150!
Yes, for example. Honda's Italian factory produces bikes much beloved in Italy.
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!

I am green with envy and I hope you have the wonderful adventure I know it will be...

Did I mention that I hate you?

Twice in my life I bought a new motorcycle and after one of the purchases I went to visit a friend from work and had him come outside to look. All he could say was how much he hated me and I understood completely...I hope you take it the way it was intended.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT
UTC quote
Have you got all your gear together?
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Jimjar wrote:
My question is: why didn't you answer any of these great questions? Is this some kind of a joke?
Damn, looks like you got me. I made it all up. No trip to Italy. There never was, there's never going to be. Jimjar figured me out. I am a fraud.

Bike and I are totally still in Toronto...
[attachment-357913 "20230514_152234.jpg"]

...or are we?
Actually I re-arranged everyone's questions and was going to live stream my answers today, and then copy/paste the answers from the transcript to reply to everyone here, but the 0.5 mb/s upload rate where I'm staying won't do so it needs to wait :(
Actually I re-arranged everyone's questions and was going to live stream my answers today, and then copy/paste the answers from the transcript to reply to everyone here, but the 0.5 mb/s upload rate where I'm staying won't do so it needs to wait :(
UTC

Hooked
2007gts250ie

Hooked
2007gts250ie
UTC quote
AHHH, to be in Italy along side of you with my GTS to start a parade. (Dreaming I'm always dreaming)
@johnymoore avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line

Molto Verboso
@johnymoore avatar
Vespa PX 177 Settantesimo, Vespa GTS Super 300 HPE, Triumph Bobber Gold Line
UTC quote
When are you going? I am on a flight somewhere above France right now to Naples. Should have a scooter tomorrow if everything goes to plan Scooter emoticon
OP
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
THANK YOU guys so much for all of your questions. MV made up 11 out of 23 questions I answered on a live stream tonight. You can find answers to all the questions here & 13 others here:

JakeM wrote:
What bike are you doing this on? And what's your route through Italy?

Are you going to try and visit the Vespa factory in Pontedera?
I'm taking my 2011 BMW G650GS. The goal of my route was basically to go from Venice, in the north east tip of Italy, to Calabria in the south west tip, because I did this cross country Italy trip with my dad 15 years ago, unfortunately I could only ship my motorcycle to Rome, so I had to start from the middle, go north, and then go down. I'll be vlogging it all along the way if you want to follow along. As for the Vespa factory, no but I'll be going through the Moto Guzzi museum in Mandello and the Ducati factory tour and museum in Bologna.
berto wrote:
Awesome!

Are you planning on seeing major tourist sites, or avoiding them?

And who do I call for a bike tow while you're away?!
Some things I'll absolutely be doing despite the crazy tourists. I'm thinking Rome, Venice, Florence, that kind of thing. Others, not so much. I'll be skipping the leaning tower of Pisa, but I'll be checking out the leaning church and tower in Modena where there will be a lot less tourists. I'll be skipping Pompeii but I'll be checking out Herculaneum, which is another Roman city that was destroyed when Vesuvius errupted, but it gets a lot less tourists. It's smaller, but it was also less damaged by the volcano. I'll be sprinkling in little tips like that throughout my videos I'll be posting.
jess wrote:

Haha, yup, great question. The furthest distance between any two points in Italy is about 1500 km or 900 miles. I'll be doing about double that distance in this trip as I'm going up and down and zig zagging. And then the plan is to leave the bike there, and come back and do more next year.
mayorofnow wrote:
Why is there a space needle in Toronto?

Also, do you have a schedule? I rode for 2 months and still missed the middle third. Doing two loops in a month seems…aggressive.
Yeah I'll be following a schedule pretty similar to what I did on a trip across Italy by bus with my dad 15 years ago on a tour group he lead. I'm completely aware that this will be 12 hour days, every day, that's what I signed up for.
SteelBytes wrote:
any info on prepping the bike could be interseing (and is this air of ship?)

eg battery disconnect, fuel tank drain, mirror or screen removal to reduce dimensions, have the panniers with or without the bike, ...
Honestly this is something that I think really needs more detail on the internet so I'll be doing a full video just on this topic. I went with shipping by air and got to fly on the same airplane that my bike was flying, you can also send it by sea, spend about $400 less doing that, but by sea you don't have a guarantee on when it will arrive, but, stay tuned for the video on prepping the bike, both on the mechanical side and on the actual logistics
DiBiasio wrote:
Do you speak Italian?
Yes, functionally. Like I know enough to know all the verbs, but also only enough to know I'm probably conjugating all the verbs completely wrong, but everyone seems to understand me so that's good.
Bobo wrote:
Good luck. Will be amazing. I just watched the Giro di Italia and the roads look incredible. On my bucket list is riding from Spain (where my wife is from) to Croatia ( where my parents are from) taking in every mountain range on the way.
I actually met, at a gas station, someone who is doing security for the Giro D'Italia, he walked right up to me when he saw my license plate. He's from Mississauga, about 45 minutes away from me in Toronto.
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
I take the liberty of pointing out that in Italy, if you ride without an approved helmet and/or ride hands-free and/or incorrect seating and/or perform a wheelie on your motorcycle may be immobilized / confiscated by the police for up to 60 days (in the event of a repeat offence within 2 years up to 90 days). This also applies to incorrectly attached license plates (e.g. bent up, attachment at too high an angle, lack of legibility). Further driving is prohibited on the spot, fines up to 355€ and confiscation corresponds to a driving ban in Italy with this vehicle for the corresponding time (costs for removal, parking space, etc.).

For a helmet to be considered approved in Europe, it must be tested according to the ECE 22.05 standard or the newer ECE 22.06 standard. Test mark with test number must be sewn on chin strap. In addition, approved helmets often have a sticker on the outer shell.

Edit: The title is "ask me anything", therefore: did you already know that?
No, I did not, thank you very much though. I did buy an AGV helmet for this trip, made in Italy, ECE 22.05 so I will be okay but that's very good to know.
giallo wrote:
Because I have two perfectly good, touring-ready BMW GS bikes, and my only Italian bike is a Vespa that won't be able to do the speed limit of the some of the roads I'll be taking. Besides, all the Italians doing serious riding, are riding BMWs lol. Super popular here.
GBaby wrote:
Have you got all your gear together?
Yes, definitely. One of the things that really helped was this 8 foot wide dry erase board that I bought and put on the wall in my office. There's so much to keep track of when you're shipping a vehicle internationally, and when you're riding across an entire country, and when you're going on a month-long road trip, and you want to reduce your chance of failures and also be ready in case they occur, once I basically took everything out of my head, and put it in a color coded system on my wall, planning got so much easier. When I do my video on the prep work that happened before the trip, I'll be showing it to you guys.
OP
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
johnymoore wrote:
When are you going? I am on a flight somewhere above France right now to Naples. Should have a scooter tomorrow if everything goes to plan Scooter emoticon
I'm here now. How long are you in Naples for? Where else are you going?
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
adri wrote:
I'm here now. How long are you in Naples for? Where else are you going?
A friend whose family is from Naples recommends "L'Antica Pizzeria Da Michele" (Via Cesare Sersale, 1, 80139 Napoli NA; https://www.damichele.net/) as the best pizzeria in Italy.

Bring time for waiting (around 1h), only two for choice: Marinara and/or Margherita
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
I had the opportunity to live in Italia for 4 years. Spend many milles
on my Ducati 350 Scrambler.

I was stationed in Naples. You can take the overnight ferry from
Naples to Palermo. This avoids having to ride down to Sicily and
then back again.

We would arrive in Palermo, circle Sicily, then cross back at Messina
and up the boot North.

Good luck -

Bob Copeland
@sledge avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS 300 HPE

Ossessionato
@sledge avatar
GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
After trying all the gelato flavours, let us know which is the best.
In Bologna, I'd recommend this place for a bite, after queuing for 20 minutes.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187801-d15816600-Reviews-Mo_Mortadella_Lab-Bologna_Province_of_Bologna_Emilia_Romagna.html
I asked the crowd controller there (after ordering) which he would recommend, he said #4 and #21.
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
Outstanding adventure!!

We've done two road trips up/down the country, with stops in the usual tourist spots. 2022 was Palermo-Naples-Rome-Florence-Venice, 2023 was the reverse. Carnevale di Venezia was the crown jewel for both trips, but they were still chock full of fantastic memories, to include rental Vespas in Florence and Rome this year that led to our his-n-hers GTS 300s we just picked up. I wrote up both trips (badly) on a blog a handful of my friends and family read, but I need to look into the forum rules a bit more in-depth before sharing the links as I don't want to violate anything there. (though my avatar is me in my horse mask scarring some random kid for life on the carousel in Piazza della Repubblica in Florence)

Safe travels, and enjoy the hell out of it!!
OP
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
armedferret wrote:
Outstanding adventure!!

We've done two road trips up/down the country, with stops in the usual tourist spots. 2022 was Palermo-Naples-Rome-Florence-Venice, 2023 was the reverse. Carnevale di Venezia was the crown jewel for both trips, but they were still chock full of fantastic memories, to include rental Vespas in Florence and Rome this year that led to our his-n-hers GTS 300s we just picked up. I wrote up both trips (badly) on a blog a handful of my friends and family read, but I need to look into the forum rules a bit more in-depth before sharing the links as I don't want to violate anything there. (though my avatar is me in my horse mask scarring some random kid for life on the carousel in Piazza della Repubblica in Florence)

Safe travels, and enjoy the hell out of it!!
I want to read those blogs!
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
Arighty it's at professorhorseyhead.com/posts
OP
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
armedferret wrote:
Arighty it's at professorhorseyhead.com/posts
Only read the Ercolano one as I'm supposed to be getting ready to leave but loved it, very funny, especially the pics.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Pic from --> https://professorhorseyhead.com/the-great-italian-road-trip-2023-part-4-ercolano-and-napoli/

Does anyone (but Hercules) hold it like it's a cigarette???
@armedferret avatar
UTC

Addicted
'23 300 Super

Addicted
@armedferret avatar
'23 300 Super
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Only read the Ercolano one as I'm supposed to be getting ready to leave but loved it, very funny, especially the pics.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Pic from --> https://professorhorseyhead.com/the-great-italian-road-trip-2023-part-4-ercolano-and-napoli/

Does anyone (but Hercules) hold it like it's a cigarette???
Sometimes, depending on my mood and/or level of inebriation.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
I'm off to Modena next week - it's lovely there!!

If you get a chance, Enzo Ferrari's childhood home / museum is well worth a visit. The building has been designed to look like the front wing of one of the older Ferrari's.

https://goo.gl/maps/VmJ6qBUREU9Untbb9
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0339s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0146s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]