OP
UTC

Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
 
Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
UTC quote
Hi, I've been using my dads vespa 2009 GTS250ie and misplaced the key. Turns out the key he gave me, the only key he has, is the brown key. I didn't understand the significance of the brown key when it was loaned to me. Fortunately it's most likely covered by insurance if we need to have the ECU swapped or removed and sent to a motorcycle technician in the US or UK for a new master to be cut (I'm in NZ).

Last ditch thought before I start this huge process. How can I pop the seat to check I didn't somehow leave it in there? It's on its stand in a locked position (handlebars left), so I can even move the bike about. Tips? If concerned about security pls just DM me.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
OP
UTC

Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
 
Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
UTC quote
Okay, thanks. I'll buy the tool and give it a go. I can see why the lever is needed. I don't see any clear way under that seat!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
It's fiddly to get it in just the right place, but persevere!
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
 
Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
UTC quote
The seat opening button works unless you locked the steering. If you locked the steering the key can't be under the seat because it would have been in your hand when you locked the steering
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 899
Location: Germany
 
Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 899
Location: Germany
UTC quote
rob g wrote:
The seat opening button works unless you locked the steering. If you locked the steering the key can't be under the seat because it would have been in your hand when you locked the steering
I don't know about early GTS, but the seat opening button should only work when ignition is on.

The key can, if the steering wheel lock nevertheless lie in the helmet compartment: open Sitzbak, steering wheel lock purely, things from the helmet compartment take or helmet lock -> key remains inside...

There is an emergency release in the glove compartment, you can get to it (dismantle the cascade, loosen all visible screws of the glove compartment, carefully push it a little to the side and operate the glove compartment release hook from the front with a long screwdriver).
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
GermanGTSDriver wrote:
I don't know about early GTS, but the seat opening button should only work when ignition is on.
Not so. It can be used any time the bike is unlocked. If yours is different, you have the wrong ignition switch fitted.
Quote:
The key can, if the steering wheel lock nevertheless lie in the helmet compartment: open Sitzbak, steering wheel lock purely, things from the helmet compartment take or helmet lock -> key remains inside...

There is an emergency release in the glove compartment, you can get to it (dismantle the cascade, loosen all visible screws of the glove compartment, carefully push it a little to the side and operate the glove compartment release hook from the front with a long screwdriver).
This is good if you can get to the glovebox release - I find that trickier than using the pick as referenced above. It's certainly worth trying if the pick trick fails. The 250 glovebox release is more accessible than later models.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
 
Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
UTC quote
I don't think the key is in there and will be surprised if you find it there when you get in.
Maybe because I'm tall I never lock the steering sitting on the bike. It's harder to climb out. I stop, turn off the key, get off, put on center stand, pop the seat, get whatever out of there, close the seat, lock the handle bars with the key that has remained in the ignition the whole time. Just seems inconceivable that a person would open the seat, reach back up to lock the steering, take the key out and close it under the seat.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
rob g wrote:
I don't think the key is in there and will be surprised if you find it there when you get in.
Maybe because I'm tall I never lock the steering sitting on the bike. It's harder to climb out. I stop, turn off the key, get off, put on center stand, pop the seat, get whatever out of there, close the seat, lock the handle bars with the key that has remained in the ignition the whole time. Just seems inconceivable that a person would open the seat, reach back up to lock the steering, take the key out and close it under the seat.
Easily done on my GTS - I adjust the seat latch on all my bikes so that the seat only locks when pressure is applied at the back. Just sitting on it and riding doesn't lock it. This is very convenient if you're continually accessing the seat. So I could get off, lock the bike, put the key into my jacket pocket, and then decide to take my jacket off and stuff it under the seat, pushing down on the seat to lock it - OOPS! I've only ever done it the once, and had to phone a family member to go to my house and pick up the master key and bring it to me.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
 
Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
UTC quote
Well wouldn't that be the perfect storm lol!

I still will be surprised. Not so convinced many others have mods such as yours. Sounds pretty cool though. No accidental locks, even after bumpy roads??
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
rob g wrote:
Well wouldn't that be the perfect storm lol!

I still will be surprised. Not so convinced many others have mods such as yours. Sounds pretty cool though. No accidental locks, even after bumpy roads??
Not with bumpy roads, but any weight on the passenger portion, such as using a cargo net to hold a case of beer in place, will do it every time.
OP
UTC

Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
 
Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
UTC quote
It's locked and on the stand.

If it was up on the stand in the locked position (handlebars locked left), I was rummaging for something or other under the seat (bag of chips possibly), somehow dropped the key in and then closed the seat. That's possible, right? Stupid and unlikely, but possible.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
 
Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
UTC quote
I just hope you find it. That key is a Big Deal.

I'm guilty of being a little cavalier with my keys and it gets worse the longer I own them. I want to say all my master keys are in my gun safe but…

Said a prayer to St Christopher for you, it's the Catholic in me!
OP
UTC

Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
 
Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
UTC quote
Thanks rob g
OP
UTC

Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
 
Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
UTC quote
So the method works, thanks fam. But the key ain't there. One more hunt around the garage before we got the hard route and either swap out the ECU or pull it out and send it off to get a new master key cut.

What a pain in the ass.

Thanks again.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8734
Location: Watts
 
Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
Joined: UTC
Posts: 8734
Location: Watts
UTC quote
If you can't, or don't want to take the glove compartment off, you can roll up a towel, like you are making a neck roll, lift one side of the seat, stick the towel in to hold the side of the seat up and away from the body of the bike, and then fish around with your hand for the keys. It helps if you have skinny arms and an extra elbow or two.
Is there a locking trunk or top box? It's a lot easier to lock a key in there than under the seat.
OP
UTC

Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
 
Member
2009 GTS250ie
Joined: UTC
Posts: 6
Location: New Zealand
UTC quote
Just to be clear, I was able to open the seat with this method. The first photo you can just see the seat is lifted. Might try the glove compartment too. But looks hard to get into.
@rob_g avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
 
Hooked
@rob_g avatar
2008 GTS250, 2009 S150, 2017 GTS300Super, 2006 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 348
Location: Houston
UTC quote
Time for an extreme comprehensive search. Like CSI thorough. The key has to be somewhere because you had it when you got back from wherever you went on the bike.

If you have a wife and kids offer a reward.

Retrace every step. Check the top of the fridge. Look anywhere you could have set it down or dropped it as you were going into the house.

Delay buying the parts to replace it as long as you can because you will find that key the day after all the unreturnable parts arrive!!
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3336
Location: Sydney, Australia
 
Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3336
Location: Sydney, Australia
UTC quote
Just for the record, I have two GTS300s.
With the 2015 model the seat and glovebox can be opened any time as long as the steering isn't locked.
With the 2018 model the ignition switch has three positions - locked, unlock seat and glovebox, and ignition on. It is a nuisance having to use the key whenever I want to get at or put something under the seat.
Don't know when the change came. 2017?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
Just for the record, I have two GTS300s.
With the 2015 model the seat and glovebox can be opened any time as long as the steering isn't locked.
With the 2018 model the ignition switch has three positions - locked, unlock seat and glovebox, and ignition on. It is a nuisance having to use the key whenever I want to get at or put something under the seat.
Don't know when the change came. 2017?
Aren't those two the same? I'm not sure I understand the difference you're trying to point out.
@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3336
Location: Sydney, Australia
 
Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3336
Location: Sydney, Australia
UTC quote
Sorry, Jim, I thought I had explained it. With the earlier 2015 scooter I can open the glovebox or saddle without the ignition key, as long as the steering isn't locked. With the second 2018 scooter the key must be in and turned to the first click before anything can be opened.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1137
Location: Belgium
 
Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1137
Location: Belgium
UTC quote
robintauranga wrote:
So the method works, thanks fam. But the key ain't there. One more hunt around the garage before we got the hard route and either swap out the ECU or pull it out and send it off to get a new master key cut.

What a pain in the ass.

Thanks again.
So the key is not in the under seat storage, then it must be somewhere else.

Starting point: when did you have the key in hand for the last time you can remember?

From that point on, you can start tracking everything you've done since then.

It is a method, but not infallible. What we think we remember is not always what actually happened.

My daughter is a notorious loser, like her phone, ipod, wallet, and so on.

I remember one day she lost her phone, it's a simple Nokia thing. So I asked when she last had it for sure. She was convinced it was home that morning.
The phone turned out to be in her grandparents' house where she had been the day before.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
 
Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 43197
Location: Pleasant Hill, CA
UTC quote
Mike Holland wrote:
Sorry, Jim, I thought I had explained it. With the earlier 2015 scooter I can open the glovebox or saddle without the ignition key, as long as the steering isn't locked. With the second 2018 scooter the key must be in and turned to the first click before anything can be opened.
So you can only take the key out if the bike is locked? I apologise if I'm being dense, but I can't quite get my head around this.
Aha, I've just looked at the supertech manual, and the key has *four* positions.

If and when I get a new GTS I'll be doing a wiring mod - I find it very strange they made this change, I bet it causes much frustration, much like having to use the ignition key on an LX to open the seat, which *really* gets my goat.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@californiacruising avatar
UTC

Addicted
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 894
Location: SoCal
 
Addicted
@californiacruising avatar
2015 Sprint 150, 2018 GTS 300
Joined: UTC
Posts: 894
Location: SoCal
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
So you can only take the key out if the bike is locked? I apologise if I'm being dense, but I can't quite get my head around this.
Aha, I've just looked at the supertech manual, and the key has *four* positions.

If and when I get a new GTS I'll be doing a wiring mod - I find it very strange they made this change, I bet it causes much frustration, much like having to use the ignition key on an LX to open the seat, which *really* gets my goat.
It is kinda annoying was considering doing the Robot mod but got use to the inconvenience, I usually leave my seat "popped" while parked in the garage

@mike_holland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3336
Location: Sydney, Australia
 
Ossessionato
@mike_holland avatar
GTS300 Super 2015 Blue, GTS300 Super 2023 Beige
Joined: UTC
Posts: 3336
Location: Sydney, Australia
UTC quote
Thanks for that link. I will be doing that mod to my 2018 GTS in the next few days.
@mcruss avatar
UTC

Hooked
'20 GTS300 Touring, '10 GTS300 Super (sold)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 138
Location: Ruidoso Downs, New Mexico
 
Hooked
@mcruss avatar
'20 GTS300 Touring, '10 GTS300 Super (sold)
Joined: UTC
Posts: 138
Location: Ruidoso Downs, New Mexico
UTC quote
My 2020 has the key fob to unlock the seat. Others have said they never use it but I find that I do rather than fiddle with the key on occasion. IF the key is in the ignition, as in the garage, then it is simple to leave it in the #2 position or the seat unlocked (more often.) And if it is unlocked, when I sit on it, it usually locks.
UTC

Banned
Joined: UTC
Posts: 93
Location: Brea, CA
 
Banned
Joined: UTC
Posts: 93
Location: Brea, CA
UTC quote
It's really a bad tragedy. I am so glad that I never face this kind of solution.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0386s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0079s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]