OP
UTC

Hooked
Gts 300 notte

Hooked
Gts 300 notte
UTC quote
just wondering if there are any signs i should watch out for a low battery?
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Get a $12 multimeter from Canadian Tire.

Charge your battery fully.

See what your resting voltage is (when you haven't taken the bike out for 3-4 hours and it's been off charger 3-4 hours).

Here's a screenshot from one of my videos, the table will help you:

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

If it's yellow, it's getting weaker. The closer to red it is, the more likely I'd recommend you replace it proactively.

The article is here: https://youmotorcycle.com/dead-motorcycle-battery.html

The video version if you hate reading is here:

Check it again a couple hours later to see if there's any parasitic draw, or just a weak battery, as lottolearn pointed out.

If you're around Dufferin and Eglinton tomorrow swing by. I also have a battery load tester. We can hook it up and see how your battery performs.

Edit: added the parts in bold based on lottolearn's feedback, ty!
⚠️ Last edited by adri on UTC; edited 3 times
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
In the desert, the progression is usually, the battery will work until it doesn't, usually about two years between. Good battery or cheap, doesn't matter.
@lottolearn avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Liberty 150

Hooked
@lottolearn avatar
2019 Liberty 150
UTC quote
" Here's a screenshot from one of my videos, the table will help you:"
No, it won't, this table is worthless. First the specs are incorrect and a battery voltage of 12.2 means nothing without further tests. It's at 12.2 why, charge output too low, parasitic draw on the battery? There's a whole lot to this and it's not as simple as the chart you are showing. If you're going to do a teaching/information video you really need to know your shit and can't just throw out numbers, well you could. If you're going to recommend test equipment, recommend quality equipment not the garbage shown and let the viewer decide if it's worth it or not.

I'm not posting this with anger and text doesn't show inflections but you can take it any way you want. If you disagree then by all means let me know and we can discuss.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
Lottolearn wrote:
" Here's a screenshot from one of my videos, the table will help you:"
No, it won't, this table is worthless. First the specs are incorrect and a battery voltage of 12.2 means nothing without further tests. It's at 12.2 why, charge output too low, parasitic draw on the battery? There's a whole lot to this and it's not as simple as the chart you are showing. If you're going to do a teaching/information video you really need to know your shit and can't just throw out numbers, well you could. If you're going to recommend test equipment, recommend quality equipment not the garbage shown and let the viewer decide if it's worth it or not.

I'm not posting this with anger and text doesn't show inflections but you can take it any way you want. If you disagree then by all means let me know and we can discuss.
No anger received, all good.

You are right that BEFORE posting the screenshot I should have also mentioned to TEST after fully charging the battery.

However, OP is asking for what the signs are of a weak battery, and I offered the best I could, as well as to let him come to my house (we live in the same city) to use my battery load tester to see if his battery is weak or not..

That is more than, let me check, anyone else has offered to help him.

PS: Updated my post based on your feedback, thank you.
@lottolearn avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Liberty 150

Hooked
@lottolearn avatar
2019 Liberty 150
UTC quote
adri wrote:
No anger received, all good.

You are right that BEFORE posting the screenshot I should have also mentioned to TEST after fully charging the battery.

However, OP is asking for what the signs are of a weak battery, and I offered the best I could, as well as to let him come to my house (we live in the same city) to use my battery load tester to see if his battery is weak or not..

That is more than, let me check, anyone else has offered to help him.

PS: Updated my post based on your feedback, thank you.
Noble to offer hands on.
You can also inform to check for a draw on a battery by removing a terminal and using a meter wired in series between removed terminal and battery post, meter set to amps. This will show amp draw at rest, key off. A parasitic draw can will/draw enough to cause a no start after the vehicle sits. How long depends on the draw, couple days, week, month?
Alternator output should be 13.9 to 14.2, high output can cause other electrical issues and damage such as blown bulbs, etc., a case of more is not better. There are specifics but the numbers given are a good base reference. If the alternator output is 13.8, would you know or care, probably not, it just won't fully charge the battery.
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150
UTC quote
If you're asking about signs of a bad battery, your battery is most likely bad 😋😁😁😁
Good luck.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0115s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0051s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]