@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
I recently bought a 2007 GTV 250ie with <900 miles on it. I'm loving the scooter, but the slope of the GTV sear and the premium leather makes me slide off the front even during engine braking. It's gotten to where the tendons in my knees are sore after a long ride from pushing myself back when braking/slowing.

I've read numerous threads about raising the front of the seat, but I don't want to change the nose height. Plus, I'm concerned that'd raise the seat off the helmet pins far enough for someone to steal my helmet.

I'm looking for something to throw on the seat while I ride and toss into the pet carrier when I get off. I can't find anything that is grippy on both sides w/out having any kind of adhesive.

I also considered trying GloveGlu. Soccer players use it to counteract slippery palms on the goalie gloves. I'm just concerned it'll stain the gorgeous leather seat that Vespa was kind enough to install on the GTVs.

Here's a couple of pics of the seat I'm working with. Any suggestions?
Seat nose
Seat nose
Full view of seat
Full view of seat
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
The only thing I can think of is getting a seat pad like a cooling one or something. They may have some grippy nubs on it or something. If you're cleaning your seat with something slick I would definitely stop. My other suggestion is check out CheekySeats, and maybe order a seat cover for your bike; it may alleviate the issue. Here's their website:

https://www.cheekyseats.net/collections/vespa-seat-covers
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
Test a small area first, but I'd recommend giving it a clean with some saddle soap. I assume someone has put a slippery conditioner on at some point.

Saddle soap is for horse saddles, where they need to have full grip as well!
OP
@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
The only thing I can think of is getting a seat pad like a cooling one or something. They may have some grippy nubs on it or something. If you're cleaning your seat with something slick I would definitely stop. My other suggestion is check out CheekySeats, and maybe order a seat cover for your bike; it may alleviate the issue. Here's their website:

https://www.cheekyseats.net/collections/vespa-seat-covers
I saw the covers they make. They are really really good, but the good folks at Vespa used this pretty Italian leather and it'd be a shame to cover it up, . However, you may be onto something. It might be best to let my smelly ol butt wear out a Cheeky Seats seat cover and leave this fine leather intact. ROFL emoticon
OP
@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
Test a small area first, but I'd recommend giving it a clean with some saddle soap. I assume someone has put a slippery conditioner on at some point.

Saddle soap is for horse saddles, where they need to have full grip as well!
This leather is in desperate need of some conditioner. It feels dry and rough, not slick and soft. That's what made me think it was the slope more than the leather itself, but you're right about a good cleaning.

I have some leather treatment that I use making holsters, sheaths, and what-not, but it darkens the leather. I don't want it any darker, so I have some non-slippery, non-darkening conditioner on the way. When I wash it before conditioning that'll remove any residual conditioner. Who knows, getting the leather soft and supple again might be all it takes to overcome the downhill slope.

Thanks for the suggestion
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
Look into one of these 3d mesh seat covers. They go on like a hair net. Anti-skid by nature. Cool in the summer. If you get caught in rain the lift helps your butt stay dry.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
Look into one of these 3d mesh seat covers. They go on like a hair net. Anti-skid by nature. Cool in the summer. If you get caught in rain the lift helps your butt stay dry.
Seconded. I have on on my primary scoot (and a gel pad underneath for extra comfort). Keeps me and the gel pad in place, and helps with air circulation. Worked wonders on an otherwise mediocre seat.
OP
@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Abner_Bjorn wrote:
I used one of those on a Honda NC700X I used to have. I can't believe I forgot about those, thanks. I'll look for one that fits.
OP
@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
I tried a mesh seat cover and I still slid around on the seat and I couldn't keep it strapped in place. If the inside were rubber-like it might have stayed in place.

Next I tried one of these rubber seat cushions and wow, what a game changer! It doesn't budge on the slippery leather seat and even when I wear slick pants like Columbia nylon hiking pants I don't slide at all. I even like the extra height for now. It raises me up about 1/2" to 3/4' which kind of helps my riding posture too.

It's an ugly temporary solution until the GTS seat I found on ebay arrives. I plan to put a CheekySeats cover on it that matches the OEM seat. Anyone have any experience with their seat covers? Think that would help with the grip?
Seat cushion
Seat cushion
OP
@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
I ordered a GTS seat from ebay and plan to store the GTV seat in case I ever need it. When it came in it didn't fit my scooter. The donor scoot was a 2014 GTS 300. I must've misread something when I was researching the fitment. I could have sworn I had read that the GTS seats fit up to a certain year later than 2014. I guess it could also be that it came from UK and they have different seats. Who knows? Regardless, I've made and expensive mistake.

I'm having the same problem ReadyOne had in his thread (GTS underseat bin stopping new seat closing). The lip of the seat pan sits right on top of the rim of my pet carrier instead of nesting inside like it should. I'm guessing the donor scoot has a thinner rim on the pet carrier.

Since I'm in for a penny, I'm in for a pound. I can't return it, so there's no harm in trying to make it fit. I got it to fit by doing the same thing ReadyOne did to his seat pan, but I didn't trim off the whole lip. My thinking is that it's there for a reason, but it's still difficult to close. I guess I'll keep doing minimal trimming until it closes right.

Like I said, it's a sunk cost now since I'm stuck with it, so I guess it's worth a try. I'll post pics when it's done in case anyone is interested.
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
GunNut37086
Seems to me you could just... post the seat on ebay. Or here, no? Try and recoup at least some of the cost. Plenty of Vespa owners out there. Next steps?
OP
@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
GunNut37086
Seems to me you could just... post the seat on ebay. Or here, no? Try and recoup at least some of the cost. Plenty of Vespa owners out there. Next steps?
You're right, I could've done that if I weren't the can't-leave-well-enough-alone kind of guy. Unfortunately, I'm also the I-think-I-can-make-this-work kind of guy though. LOL

If the fit was so far off that trimming it didn't look like it would have solved the problem AND I didn't have the patience level of an 8 yr old, your idea would clearly be the intelligent choice. But alas, logic and patience didn't win out this time.
@larrymk avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa Super 300

Molto Verboso
@larrymk avatar
Vespa Super 300
UTC quote
I have a sheepskin butt pad from Alaska Leather that I find very comfortable, not sure it will fix your issue but worth looking at.
UTC

2012 GTV300, 2007 GTS250

2012 GTV300, 2007 GTS250
UTC quote
Go to the paint department in your local hardware store and buy a tack cloth. Give it a wipe across the seat until you achieve your desired tackiness. This is what I did on my GTV and it worked great.
@cosmo4me avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT60, GTV

Enthusiast
@cosmo4me avatar
GT60, GTV
UTC quote
I bought a seat gel pad at a Harley dealer during a long ride. It helped. PS I saw your post and had to make sure my family didnt sell my GTV cause it is stored at their place in middle tennessee.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Cosmo4me wrote:
I bought a seat gel pad at a Harley dealer during a long ride. It helped. PS I saw your post and had to make sure my family didnt sell my GTV cause it is stored at their place in middle tennessee.
I wonder if we have the only 2 Aviator Gray GTVs in middle TN. Wow, the leather on yours looks brand new. NICE! I love that leather top case too.
@cosmo4me avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GT60, GTV

Enthusiast
@cosmo4me avatar
GT60, GTV
UTC quote
I use mink oil on the seat. The top case is one of the original Piaggio, but there are newer versions.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0097s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0023s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]