UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Twitter
To refer to Twitter as a rolling dumpster fire is an insult. To rolling dumpsters that happen to have the misfortune of being on fire. Twitter has gone from the cesspool it's always been to something darker, weirder, and even more unpleasant. From not paying their bills to firing (or just alienating) all their critical technical staff to replacing their entire press department with an auto-respond script that replies only with a poop emoji to limiting how many tweets someone can read in a day, Elon seems quite intent on destroying the toy he paid a fuckity billion dollars for. I'm convinced at this point that he just doesn't want anyone else to play with the toy that he paid a fuckity billion dollars for, and he's too fucking stupid to realize that in order to enjoy his own toy, everyone else has to be able to play with it too.
Facebook
Facebook just flat-out ceased to be interesting a long time ago, and largely still exists only due to sheer momentum and its critical mass of technically incompetent boomers that don't know any other way to spew borderline racist tripe. I mean, what would they do? Send an email to all their family members? That's why email filters were invented.

Mark Zuckerberg long ago lost interest in Facebook as well, and has been observed wandering off with starry-eyed dreams of virtualizing mind-numbing meetings. Or AI. Or something. It will probably be something else by next week. Oh, and he's spent a fuckity billion dollars hiring every engineer in Silicon Valley with a pulse and overpaying them, and then laying them off. Yes, I actually know some of these people in person.
Reddit
I confess that I don't have much of a clue about what's going on with Reddit right now. As near as I can tell, Reddit management have failed to recognize the substantial amount of work that moderating a forum-like public area takes, and have negotiated in bad faith with their moderator community. Also, they are now charging a fuckity billion dollars an exorbitant amount of money to access the Reddit APIs with third-party tools, which includes some of the tools that the moderator community uses to, well, moderate.

As a result of all this, a bunch of subreddits went dark for a while, and might actually still be dark, or not. Depending on the sentiment of the particular mods in the particular subreddit you happen to be interested in.

So where does that leave us? I am tempted to point out that social media is a poor substitute for forums when it comes to sharing information focused on a specific topic, but I'm probably hopelessly biased in that regard and nobody listens to me anyway. Also, it's worth pointing out that Reddit (and specifically the idea of subreddits) probably comes the closest to emulating the forum experience. Notably, though, Reddit insists on re-ordering threads according to upvotes, which makes having a conversation on Reddit exquisitely difficult.

And I could almost believe that it's a good time to be in the forum business right now, what with every large social media outlet currently imploding from the sheer density of their own hubris. But actually, I'm not holding my breath. The forum stats here on MV aren't showing any obvious signs of improving the long, slow decline that they've been in for years, and I'm fairly certain that eventually I'll just be here posting [MVFR] topics in an empty forum by myself.

All that said, I honestly don't know where people are getting their fix Vespa information these days. Most people abandoned forums when Facebook came along, and haven't returned, even when Facebook became intolerable.

Maybe they're still trying to convince their racist uncle to tone it down a notch.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
[MVFR:TEaL] I don't see so well without my glasses!

all kidding aside, as citizens rise, societies crumble and the earth consumes itself due to the heat death of the universe... NSM will still be over here posting up DOD's and discussing jetting.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, S50, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
I quit twitter a while ago. Frustrated today to find I can't link through to an old professors post. Why the heck are news sites still linking to it then? What The? emoticon

These services are all screwed once AI starts posting with believable spam/social engineering en mass.
@retro_scoot avatar
UTC

Hooked
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"

Hooked
@retro_scoot avatar
2020 GTS300 HPE "Whiskers"
UTC quote
The Chaos Machine… - Max Fisher
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric
UTC quote
I just walked away from this thread half a dozen times.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
I'll confess I quit twitter just because I'm against bullying leadership style.

A weak protest, but what can I do. Oh, and got a bit of extra satisfaction by announcing this move to my tiny network in yet another platform, LinkedIn.

In Europe, all 'mass' sources of internet knowledge suffer from our lack of a common language - or, love of our own languages. There seem to be interesting discussions in French a Deutch languages, for example, but I'm not fluent enough to follow them properly.

Combine this with the small population of, ahem, some countries, and you'll get either social media platform sub-groups or forums with a very small bunch of people. This, together with the easiness of it, promotes the use of readily available tools: unbelievably, Facebook is still my major source to see what's going on with an Amal rebuilt project by a Finnish Brit motorcycle enthusiast, what summer events are organized locally etc. I rarely use it for any other purposes, but it is a major source for 'news' I'm interested in.

Majority (over 90% in the latest study) of small/one person businesses use Facebook as their main marketing channel around here - Instagram being often the second channel, depending on the business. It's 'free', simple to use and the target audience is already there looking for local services etc.
@tszarathusra avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.

Hooked
@tszarathusra avatar
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.
UTC quote
The whole world is a mess.

Still visit Facebook because every now and then my extended family posts in the family group. Being Expat means I value those weak connections more. Sometimes use the message function to chat with my friends.

All those pages are becoming increasingly intolerant and poisonous environments. Or is that just the world? US politics and complete system (unfortunately just one among many countries) is increasingly rotten. Current supreme court and the suitability of the last two presidential candidates are glaring examples. The public had to choose between one of the most dishonest, easily bought, and disrespectful man on the planet, and someone who should have retired a decade ago. And no one does anything about mass shootings, except mentioning them in their prayers.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
...just flat-out ceased to be interesting a long time ago, and largely still exists only due to sheer momentum and its critical mass of technically incompetent boomers that don't know any other way to...
I cut that one off, but for a second I thought you were referring to forums. Not specifically this one, if anything, xl-forum came to mind first. It's not just a site for sore eyes, it's a strange, aging, and on average very closed-minded crowd, minus a good core group who actually care about the bikes and want to share their knowledge, but much of the rest... yikes...
jess wrote:
So where does that leave us? I am tempted to point out that social media is a poor substitute for forums when it comes to sharing information focused on a specific topic, but I'm probably hopelessly biased in that regard and nobody listens to me anyway. Also, it's worth pointing out that Reddit (and specifically the idea of subreddits) probably comes the closest to emulating the forum experience. Notably, though, Reddit insists on re-ordering threads according to upvotes, which makes having a conversation on Reddit exquisitely difficult.
Yes. Social media sucks for actual valuable information. Searching is not a part of the culture there.

Yes, re: reddit. FYI, You can still use the "old" reddit view, which, as an info-focused person, rather than a social-chatter oriented person, I think is better.

It also shows up and downvote %s which I don't think the new view does. Defaults are a little different.

Check it out in your settings, you might like it.
jess wrote:
And I could almost believe that it's a good time to be in the forum business right now, what with every large social media outlet currently imploding from the sheer density of their own hubris. But actually, I'm not holding my breath. The forum stats here on MV aren't showing any obvious signs of improving the long, slow decline that they've been in for years, and I'm fairly certain that eventually I'll just be here posting [MVFR] topics in an empty forum by myself.
Motorcycle websites are going the same way as the written word is slowly being washed away. YouMotorcycle (the blog) gets more, fresh content every year, and sees the same 30k unique visitors a month every month forever lol.

The bigger websites create content based on what's going to be most popular, and google prioritizes them in the search results pages over less popular sites, so an equal or less good article on the same topic on revzilla is still likely to outrank mine or the MV Wiki page, even if revzilla has less pictures, specifications, overall quality, moderators/editors for quality control, etc.

I think overall though, more people are turning to YouTube and away from the written word, and that's hurting written info based websites the most.

I don't know if there will ever be another good time for sites like yours or mine because honestly, people are inherently dumb, and inherently lazy, they will always take the path of least resistance, even if it means worse results. That's why they don't go to the gym, or why I eat out too much.
jess wrote:
All that said, I honestly don't know where people are getting their fix Vespa information these days. Most people abandoned forums when Facebook came along, and haven't returned, even when Facebook became intolerable.
I think you know....

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Case in point... I get 3x the views on YouTube as I do on the blog, despite the blog being 3x older and having 3x more content... My audience is growing many times faster on YT than any other platform. About 500 new subscribers a month this time of year.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
I was a late adopter of FB and only started when my mom passed Thanksgiving '08. At the time, it helped me connect with some of her friends and, ultimately, some of mine. We don't have any relatives in Arizona, but we produced the only grandchildren for both sides of our family. FB provided an easy way to post pictures of the kids as they grew. We have a club page for those that don't like Meetup, but it's more of an afterthought. Sadly, FB is now all about advertising and clickbait videos.

Instagram, being connected to FB is becoming advert central. However, we've gotten quite a few new club members and made scooter connections because of it. It was nice to meet several Insta users we follow IRL at Amerivespa! We'll keep using it for the time being.

I have a Reddit login and can't remember the last time I visited. I'm sure it was scooter or skateboard related, though.

I recently started an Alliance Discord server for a game I play. I was booted from my last one because I was too sick to keep my stats up. However, I'm enjoying being a solo player again and have discovered that the alliance perks aren't that perky after all. I may never use the server.

YouTube is still alright, and I'll continue to make videos of the Sunriders exploits as long as they are enjoyed by a few. I'm okay with beginning and end adverts, along with content providers' inline spiels to pay the bills. The viewing interruptions to push products and services are becoming a little invasive for my taste.

I check in here off and on all day unless I'm riding. I even peek into the areas that I have no interest just to see what's up. I can't think of a better digital space to hang out in, and that's all because of the time and effort Jess and the moderators put into keeping things on an even keel. Thank you.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Yes, re: reddit. FYI, You can still use the "old" reddit view, which, as an info-focused person, rather than a social-chatter oriented person, I think is better.

It also shows up and downvote %s which I don't think the new view does. Defaults are a little different.

Check it out in your settings, you might like it.
It's not enough to change one's own settings to make it more palatable -- unless everyone else is using the classic view, conversations become little more than, well, social media chatter.

There's a similar analog on the forum side: the debate between single-threaded and nested commenting. Single-threaded promotes linear conversations and proper quoting habits, while nested commenting splinters the conversation into a thousand separate pieces and makes it nigh-on impossible to pick up on a thread from where you left off. The people who inexplicably prefer nested comments insist that it ought to be a per-user choice as to how to view the conversation. That's incorrect, though -- unless everyone is using the same view, the conversation will not be linear, and the people viewing in nested form will not quote properly. Chaos will ensue. Dogs and cats will start living together openly.

(And anyone who wants to make the case for threaded comments right here can just give it up -- Modern Vespa is single-threaded on-purpose and will never, ever be nested).
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 Liberty 150, 2020 MP3-500

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
Jess could you explain what this means?
"an exorbitant amount of money to access the Reddit APIs with third-party tools, which includes some of the tools that the moderator community uses to, well, moderate."

Has Twitter ever actually made money?
Elon is busy driving all the small news sources away, by the charge $1000 for "Verification" move. Verification being defined as paying a subscription fee
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I am one of the technically incompetent boomers you mentioned. I am not anti-tech, I just don't have much use for many of these sites as there is more disinformation than information. I must admit I do go on CL or FB, but on the market place only to keep up with prices and occasionally buy a bike or scooter to fix up and sell. I have no reason to share on FB of what I am up to. No one cares and that's what phones are for. This is the only forum I am a member of now because of the way it is looked after and run. Thank you Jess, I hope you are willing to keep it going.
@lottolearn avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Liberty 150

Hooked
@lottolearn avatar
2019 Liberty 150
UTC quote
Forums are tough because people are fucking lazy. They used to be the source for great technical information but we seemed to have gone the way of instant gratification, forums used to teach you to fish (literally and figuratively).
You can see it here every day. How do I remove X when acorn nuts are staring them in the face, start there. More and more don't want to invest in learning, trial and error, just looking for a quick answer, YouTube seems to be the one at the moment, if you can trust what you watch. Post incorrect information on a forum and someone will be along in short order to correct, not a bad thing, post shit on YouTube and you get followers.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Garthhh wrote:
Jess could you explain what this means?
"an exorbitant amount of money to access the Reddit APIs with third-party tools, which includes some of the tools that the moderator community uses to, well, moderate."
Sure. Reddit management has decided, in their infinite wisdom, to slap third-party app developers that access Reddit with a usurious fee. I think everyone agrees that some fee for access to the Reddit system is reasonable and appropriate. But Reddit has set the price for this access at an astronomically high level. They've also done so with almost no notice.

There are four possible reasons for this action by Reddit:
1) They are morons
2) They think their users are morons, and will be willing to pay exorbitant fees to use third-party apps to access reddit
3) They see what Elon is doing and like the look
4) All of the above

You can read more about it here:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/reddits-new-api-pricing-will-kill-off-apollo-on-june-30/
Garthhh wrote:
Has Twitter ever actually made money?
Yes. Twitter has occasionally reported a profit. Not often, but not never.
Garthhh wrote:
Elon is busy driving all the small news sources away, by the charge $1000 for "Verification" move. Verification being defined as paying a subscription fee
Twitter is also charging third-party app developers a usurious fee for access to Twitter APIs.

(API stands for Application Programming Interface, and it is a loose term that describes the method by which an external system accesses a set of data or controls).
⚠️ Last edited by jess on UTC; edited 1 time
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
jess wrote:
(API stands for Application Programming Interface, and it is a loose term that describes a way for
...for what???
Come ON man, the

Laughing emoticon Laughing emoticon
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
...for what???
Come ON man, the

Sorry, bad edit. Fixed above, though I doubt I have actually illuminated the subject very well.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
...for what???
Come ON man, the

Here's a better definition:
Quote:
API stands for Application Programming Interface. In the context of APIs, the word Application refers to any software with a distinct function. Interface can be thought of as a contract of service between two applications. This contract defines how the two communicate with each other using requests and responses.
For Reddit, the API defines how third-party clients can access Reddit data, including how to post to Reddit. This API is what enables third-party apps to access various well-known platforms, such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and so on.
@besupa avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS 300 (2020 HPE); BMW G310 GS

Hooked
@besupa avatar
GTS 300 (2020 HPE); BMW G310 GS
UTC quote
For Reddit, I think one of the important aspects of their recent changes is that it functionally hobbles mods, many of whom depended on third-party tools to make their communities manageable. Specifically, I'm thinking about the lovely and highly moderated /r/AskHistorians community there. They are basically taking away the ability of their expert volunteers—which defines the value—to operate effectively on such a large forum.

A bit more at the other end of the scale spectrum are places like MV, which are great because the people who run it and mod it (thank you!) are hands-on and the community is fairly tight, at least in the sense that people kinda know who other people are. A large party at somebody's house rather than a chaotic event at a stadium or fairgrounds.

This community is very much the literal reason I have now owned Vespas and Piaggios and am participating in an online community, instead of just lurking, for the first time since Prodigy or middle Slashdot. I have dabbled with Twitter and Facebook for work-related things, but found nothing for myself personally. (I have to admit what finally tipped the scales to posting here instead of just reading was the realization that there were a non-trivial number of computer people here too—the database migration woes hit home for me.)
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
I had two FB accounts in the past. One to keep in touch with a group I rode with (the Scarabs). The other was just to look around. Both were disabled by FB for lack of posting. Sounds good to me.

There exists a sub-reddit I look at occasionally, but if it died there would be no loss, at least not to me.

I visit MV multiple times nearly every day. If Modern Vespa went away, the Vespa world would end up watching Scooter West vids on YT. I prefer Modern Vespa.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
I visit MV multiple times nearly every day. If Modern Vespa went away, the Vespa world would end up watching Scooter West vids on YT. I prefer Modern Vespa.
There are definitely a subset of people who prefer forums and the written word. But I fear that's becoming increasingly rare on the short-attention-span internet.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
From my experience:

Twitter: I was an early adopter, but drifted away from it for reasons I can't remember. I visit it now and then, but hate the way it presents tweets. I seem to remember that Elon wanted to buy it, made an offer, then backed out. Twitter (the company) then sued him and the courts forced him to buy it. I think he is trying to destroy it, but can't understand why.

Facebook: I'm on it mainly to keep up with family & friends, and some groups.

Reddit: I have an account, but barely use it.

One thing I've noticed regarding Facebook vs Forums, on FB, people will ask the same question over and over. They don't search the group to see if the question has been answered already. I'm a member of a Hyundai Santa Cruz group, and every 5th post seems to be asking about retrofitting LED headlight bulbs, or if anyone has installed [INSERT INCREDIBLY COMMON MOD] on their truck, or what a specific warning light means. I just ignore the posts and scroll on. It astounds me how many people don't even glance at the owners manual for their new vehicle.
@monogodo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2017 Piaggio BV350

Molto Verboso
@monogodo avatar
2017 Piaggio BV350
UTC quote
Guzzi Gal wrote:
I recently started an Alliance Discord server for a game I play. I was booted from my last one because I was too sick to keep my stats up. However, I'm enjoying being a solo player again and have discovered that the alliance perks aren't that perky after all. I may never use the server.
JWA?
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
monogodo wrote:
One thing I've noticed regarding Facebook vs Forums, on FB, people will ask the same question over and over. They don't search the group to see if the question has been answered already.
Becoming increasingly common on forums too.

Look at the two "how many miles can we put on these engines?" threads posted in the last 2.5 weeks for a recent example.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
monogodo wrote:
JWA?
RoC
@the_hornets_lisc avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa Primavera 150 "Redemption"

Hooked
@the_hornets_lisc avatar
Vespa Primavera 150 "Redemption"
UTC quote
While I can agree with some of thoughts here, the OP is a classic case of the Pot calling the Kettle Black. ROFL emoticon
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
UTC quote
For me, forums (well run and well moderated) are far superior to find specific solutions to problems. FB, Reddit, and the like are totally unsearchable. Not that this forum is only for searchable fixes, but it is far more reliable than a random youtube video.

A forum like this has some built in checks and balances to weed out the bogus information from the ham fisted hacks, or the well intentioned amateur on other social media.
@garthhh avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@garthhh avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Here's a better definition:

For Reddit, the API defines how third-party clients can access Reddit data, including how to post to Reddit. This API is what enables third-party apps to access various well-known platforms, such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and so on.
So basically it's impossible to be a moderator of a large group on reddit without outside tools?

I'm in the need it to be in writing camp, still pictures are good...
My hearing isn't great & I don't retain & comprehend spoken, videos, podcasts very well
I'm often frustrated by not being able to find basic written documentation when searching for solutions
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
Don't Facebook. Don't Tweet. Don't look at Reddit.

It's bollocks.

Might Instagram sometimes.
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC quote
adri wrote:
Becoming increasingly common on forums too.

Look at the two "how many miles can we put on these engines?" threads posted in the last 2.5 weeks for a recent example.
Those posts are asking two different questions.

1. How many miles have you put on your GTS?
2. How many miles can you get from a GTS engine?
@giallo avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS 300 hpe

Addicted
@giallo avatar
GTS 300 hpe
UTC quote
I quit Twitter (which I used to be quite active on) as well as Facebook and have no regrets.

I just don't like the business model of companies monetizing my interactions with others. I do like Mastodon though, it's how Twitter could be if it wasn't fueled by crass commercialism.
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
The Hornets LISC wrote:
While I can agree with some of thoughts here, the OP is a classic case of the Pot calling the Kettle Black. ROFL emoticon
Says the guy whose previous achievements in forum toxicity would be the envy of Elon Musk.

Besides, my fuckity billion dollars is safely invested in beanie babies.
@iniezione avatar
UTC

300 GTS Super

@iniezione avatar
300 GTS Super
UTC quote
I haven't purchased a cell phone yet (age 67), but really enjoy MV. Clap emoticon
@oscarsass avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@oscarsass avatar
UTC quote
Never used twitter or Reddit… but as far as FB is concerned:

I simply don't trust it. They bought WhatsApp (for a large sum) for a reason - to get access to every single user's phone book (contacts).

In your contacts/phonebook, you might have someone's mobile number, email address, home phone number, address, and their birthday.

You can see how that is useful to triangulate existing users, as well as non-users of the the FB platform.

My information is up on their servers despite not ever signing up to it. That's because people I know have WhatsApp installed. Creepy.

Under current ownership/leadership we're promised that our information is safe - so far so good. 👍

…but here's where I have a problem: who knows what the next person/people could do with it?

All it takes is one nut job - there are plenty of destructive megalomaniacs out there (past, present and future). 🙈
@dr_zoidberg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift

Ossessionato
@dr_zoidberg avatar
Ducati Scrambler 800 Nightshift
UTC quote
Personally I think online social discourse peaked with Usenet but I realise I'm in the minority.

Twitter was always a hateful place even before the change of ownership, and I'm constantly amazed at the levels of 4 chan fuckery on display.

Personally I find Facebook to be a useful way of keeping in touch with friends and organisations I like but it rapidly goes downhill from there if you look at comments from randoms.
@nomad68 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Back on a 125cc!

Molto Verboso
@nomad68 avatar
Back on a 125cc!
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
It's bollocks.
This ^^^
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Personally I think online social discourse peaked with Usenet but I realise I'm in the minority.

Totally with you there! And no top-posting!

I'm still subscribed to a few newsgroups - I use the German server news.individual.net as well as dipping into grc.com occasionally. Still using Turnpike as my newsreader. My UK ISP uses Mastodon and Usenet as well as IRC for timely status messages and general 'stuff'.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT
UTC quote
These systems are failing.

@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
UTC quote
OscarSass wrote:
...My information is up on their servers despite not ever signing up to it. That's because people I know have WhatsApp installed. Creepy...
I have no love for FB, Reddit, Twitter, etc., but blame your friends and family for ticking off the box to share *their* contacts upon install. I agree it's not in any users best interest to have all that swimming out there. The business model however is evil, and they prey on the ignorant masses to disseminate their contact lists.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
I've come to the conclusion that effective modern media - social or otherwise - requires ownership/control by someone resembling a wealthy dictator who creates the content rules, enforces the rules, and isn't doing it to maximize revenue.

If a particular media consumer doesn't find enough value in the content to put up with the rules, they'll need to find another wealthy dictator, or become one themselves. If instead they stick around, flaunt the rules, and grumble long enough, the dictator executes them.

Every forum I've found useful follows this approach. Most surviving magazines and newspapers do, too. Twitter may or may not be able to successfully transition dictators. Facebook's twist is that everyone is their own dictator. Reddit's twist is that the dictators work for free, and independently across each subreddit.

All hail, Jess!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0275s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0038s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]