OP
UTC

Enthusiast
PX Vespa 125

Enthusiast
PX Vespa 125
UTC quote
Okay l have been trying to find out if it is normal noise through the gear's as it's a clunk click on every trip it's a new PX Vespa euro 3 model just not ridden vespa before mainly lambretter !! And I can't remember if they was the same O do you have to change very quickly up and down the gear's ! To minimise the sound ! Just need a heads up on this matter please advise !! Best foot forward soulboy74 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
Is it just a clunk each time you shift? If so, that's normal.

I'd it's a noise when you're not shifting, or getting louder/changing, you want to start investigating.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
Soul boy 74 wrote:
And I can't remember if they was the same O do you have to change very quickly up and down the gear's ! To minimise the sound ! Just need a heads up on this matter please advise !! Best foot forward soulboy74 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Love those mild clunks, like when you feel the batwing click and simultaneously clunk
Practice trying to match rpm to your rear wheel speed with the throttle before shifting, to smooth out those clunks.

If you dial up rpm at idle it will clunk more, since the rear wheel/driveshaft isn't moving.
If you coast and downshift without throttle it will clunk more.

Find those rpm sweet spots on the road and you'll be kinder to your primary springs, etc.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
'74 50s x3 '87 PK125XL '92 PK50XLS Plurimatic - & - '58 AllState '68 Sprint '66(?) Super125 and '72 DanMotor Super150
UTC quote
Does your clutch drag at all, does it try to creep forward when in gear w/ clutch pulled, and you can't adjust it out? If so, that will aggregate this problem. You may have warped clutch plates or other clutch issues.
@gthebuck avatar
UTC

PX125E

@gthebuck avatar
PX125E
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:

Practice trying to match rpm to your rear wheel speed with the throttle before shifting, to smooth out those clunks.

If you dial up rpm at idle it will clunk more, since the rear wheel/driveshaft isn't moving.
If you coast and downshift without throttle it will clunk more.

Find those rpm sweet spots on the road and you'll be kinder to your primary springs, etc.
I had similar clunks on my 99 P125X before experiencing clutch creep & subsequent crank, woodruff key, clutch centre hub & associated seals renewal, c.1 month after buying it. I still get the odd clunk, but like Ray8 wrote, it's all about finding the sweet spot & not warping clutch plates.

PS. There's a short vid on YT suggesting compatible motorcycle clutch plates are more robust for city driving/upgraded engines.
OP
UTC

Enthusiast
PX Vespa 125

Enthusiast
PX Vespa 125
UTC quote
Thanks you guys no worries it's my style of riding l gus need to find that sweet spot like you said all's well just not used to clunk click maybe change a bit quicker than before should help me ! Still a bit hesitant coming down the gear's riding the clutch a bit too much l think!! Best regards soulboy74 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 ✊
UTC

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes

Jet Eye Master
PX221 MHR, O tuned PX200, PX125 and some motorbikes
UTC quote
If it will idle at about 900rpm while in 1st gear, holding the clutch in, all is good. Any noise is the rider.
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC

Style Maven

Style Maven
@v_oodoo avatar
UTC quote
GtheBuck wrote:
PS. There's a short vid on YT suggesting compatible motorcycle clutch plates are more robust for city driving/upgraded engines.
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

Yes, that would be disks as described here Honda CR80 clutch disk page, what have you got? . As you can see, I really like them because they are so smooth and never slip, but you would need a 7 spring clutch from a 200 or a Cosa clutch, and his 125 has a 6 spring.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I can only add that before you start out to disengage and engage the clutch a few times to loosen up the plates when the engine is cold. Everything else is just learning to rev match and getting to know the machine. As far as the clunking goes, the older BMW airheads would clunk quite a bit because of the heavy flywheels used on those machines. And every Harley every made clunks. Just part of the magic, I guess. Razz emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0185s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0128s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]