OP
UTC

Vespa LX50

Vespa LX50
UTC quote
Brand new primavera 125cc. A couple of days ago I noticed some resistance when driving. Possibly from the rear wheel. The rear brake also doesn't really do much.i tightened it up a bit but don't want to tighten it too much. today I went to take a look and noticed this close to the rear wheel. Does it look like a problem? It's under warranty but the dealership is three hours away so I'd like a second opinion before I arranged to have the scooter transported there.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
I'd check the appropriate fluids, give the area a good clean, and check it often to see if it continues.
OP
UTC

Vespa LX50

Vespa LX50
UTC quote
Thanks for the reply. I've just cleaned it up now and I'll keep an eye on it. My dealership advised to check the fluids every 300km until it's first service, I checked yesterday and they were fine. The scooter is warm now because I've been riding so I'll check again in a couple of hours. I just loosened the back brake up again too and the resistance is gone but now the brake is doing nothing at all unless I pull it all the way in. I just upgraded from to this scooter from a 17yo LX. I was expecting the brakes on this model to be better but if anything they are worse.
⚠️ Last edited by Irishscooter on UTC; edited 1 time
@25bikez avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"

Molto Verboso
@25bikez avatar
2022 Liberty 150S-"Meg"
UTC quote
The rear brake only provides around 30% of your stopping power. It's useful for low speed riding to provide some resistance at the rear wheel, but most of your stopping will come from your front brake.

Adjust the rear brake according to your owner's manual. That's the best you can do.

It'll get a little better with use, after you scuff the pads, but will never provide a lot of stopping power.

Enjoy your new bike. Pics?
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
that's just likely assembly lube from the brake arm getting hot and oozing out. not a big deal.

more than likely you've adjusted too loose and now you have too much lever travel. adjust it so that there is no friction on the wheel and some free play up at the lever before engagement. at the pivot between the lever and handle bar the spec is something like 2mm gap or so.

also, the bike is brand new so the shoes probably haven't really bedded in yet.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0109s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0036s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]