@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
Knocked it over. No note, no notice, just a jack*&ss move altogether. Insurance deductible of $500. Has anyone had to go through this and if so, how long was the process? The faring hurts the most.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@der_blechfahrer avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric

Molto Verboso
@der_blechfahrer avatar
ET3 & PX150 & GTS 300 Super Sport MY23 & Yamaha Neo's electric
UTC quote
You and me both, brother.

I found a notice from the police with a case number, at least. Some patrol must have seen what happened, but I can't get any concrete info. What exactly happened? Who picked up the Vespa (and dislocated the left mirror)?

Only seven months old and 500€ deductable. And who pays for the damaged car? (I park on the sidewalk, which is perfectly fine before you ask.)
@guzzi_gal avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring

Ossessionato
@guzzi_gal avatar
Gigi, '13 GTS 300ie Touring
UTC quote
Wha? emoticon

Does a business or residence have a camera covering the area?
OP
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
There's no business, in my case. It's a residential street, but I am going to look tomorrow when I park. As bad as it looks, it is totally drivable (thank goodness)! Sigh. Just more annoyed than anything else. People can be selfish jerks.
@gunnut37086 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie

Enthusiast
@gunnut37086 avatar
2007 Vespa GTV 250ie
UTC quote
Sorry to hear this happened. I wish people took more responsibility for their actions.
@dibiasio avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 LX150

Addicted
@dibiasio avatar
2006 LX150
UTC quote
Karlsbadd wrote:
There's no business, in my case. It's a residential street, but I am going to look tomorrow when I park. As bad as it looks, it is totally drivable (thank goodness)! Sigh. Just more annoyed than anything else. People can be selfish jerks.
Everyone here has Ring doorbell cameras to feed 24/7 surveillance to Big Brother. I find it disturbing, but maybe in this instance some sympathetic neighbor could be helpful.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Well, that sucks. +1 on the taking responsibility topic. Incredible how repairs add up...and quickly suck up any deductible.

Insurance should go fairly quickly. Get it looked at by an adjustor, they send a check and you have to find a shop that will tackle the job...which is a bit of a wild card depending on who you deal with.

I guess on the plus side is that neither of you were aboard.... Nerd emoticon

Good luck getting things sorted.
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
I can tell when mine's been hit because I don't use the sidestand when I park.

I probably wrote about it on here when it happened. I was parked between two driveways, so many meters away from any possible bad drivers. Someone who habitually parked on the other side of the driveway managed to back up the whole length of the driveway and hit me.

I found out on my way to lunch. I noticed the damage but was too hungry to worry about it. When I got to lunch, I found a note stuffed under my seat with the guy's plate number. (That's how I figured out who did it.) A good samaritan must have stood it up and left the note.

I took it to the police station and filed a report. They told me to come back in two weeks. The report said "some guy came in here and said license plate XXXXX knocked his Vespa over." I was beside myself. The police told me to take it up with insurance.

I also have a $500 deductible. The insurance company told me I'd have to have the work done and then they could attempt to go after that license plate (because otherwise, they'd have no standing to due). It wasn't worth the risk of being out-of-pocket for the $500, so I didn't pursue it. I did leave a note on the windshield, but never heard back. Figured it wasn't worth antagonizing any more over, since they could have pretty easily figured out where I live and/or vandalize my Vespa further. Same reason I didn't apply at the DMV to reveal the guy's identity.

I cursed that dumbass every time I saw that car after that.

The 2020 GTS had plastic trim around the perimeter that frankly looked bad new. You couldn't really tell that it had been scuffed. The damage perceivable enough to be annoying was the scuff in my front fender. That same fender got cracked in a collision last spring, so now I know it costs $1200 to replace (and insurance covered it).

It got scuffed again while it was parked last time I was in SF, so I get to pursue that claim again.
@bobo avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP

Ossessionato
@bobo avatar
'70 Super 150, Medley 150S, '23 Ducati Monster SP
UTC quote
Happened to me too last week with my brand new Medley. Came out in the morning to go to work and noticed it was upright but not how I left it. Couldn't notice any damage in the dark but realised pretty quickly when I started riding it had been knocked over as the handlebars were askew. Bent them right pretty easily and they're still snug. One panel is slightly split. Exhaust and bar ends are scratched. Disappointing but I guess that's life in the city.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian
2009 Vespa S50(LX150 motor swap), 2006 Vespa GTS250ie

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
I can tell when mine's been hit because I don't use the sidestand when I park.

I probably wrote about it on here when it happened. I was parked between two driveways, so many meters away from any possible bad drivers. Someone who habitually parked on the other side of the driveway managed to back up the whole length of the driveway and hit me.

I found out on my way to lunch. I noticed the damage but was too hungry to worry about it. When I got to lunch, I found a note stuffed under my seat with the guy's plate number. (That's how I figured out who did it.) A good samaritan must have stood it up and left the note.

I took it to the police station and filed a report. They told me to come back in two weeks. The report said "some guy came in here and said license plate XXXXX knocked his Vespa over." I was beside myself. The police told me to take it up with insurance.

I also have a $500 deductible. The insurance company told me I'd have to have the work done and then they could attempt to go after that license plate (because otherwise, they'd have no standing to due). It wasn't worth the risk of being out-of-pocket for the $500, so I didn't pursue it. I did leave a note on the windshield, but never heard back. Figured it wasn't worth antagonizing any more over, since they could have pretty easily figured out where I live and/or vandalize my Vespa further. Same reason I didn't apply at the DMV to reveal the guy's identity.

I cursed that dumbass every time I saw that car after that.

The 2020 GTS had plastic trim around the perimeter that frankly looked bad new. You couldn't really tell that it had been scuffed. The damage perceivable enough to be annoying was the scuff in my front fender. That same fender got cracked in a collision last spring, so now I know it costs $1200 to replace (and insurance covered it).

It got scuffed again while it was parked last time I was in SF, so I get to pursue that claim again.
When you move out of that area, right before you go, you know what to do
@mayorofnow avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS 300 HPE

Molto Verboso
@mayorofnow avatar
2020 GTS 300 HPE
UTC quote
adri wrote:
When you move out of that area, right before you go, you know what to do
I moved away last year. 🙃

They might have moved first though. Haven't seen that car in a while.
@adri avatar
UTC

Atypical Canadian

Atypical Canadian
@adri avatar
UTC quote
You made it disappear, nice!

I mean, what an innocent coincidence both you guys left like that.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
mayorofnow wrote:
They might have moved first though. Haven't seen that car in a while.
you still have a plate number...
OP
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
adri wrote:
You made it disappear, nice!

I mean, what an innocent coincidence both you guys left like that.
Hahaha. I have to say, I would not have gone the way of "more trouble than it's worth." My bike was ALSO upright. I knew something was off but couldn't pinpoint what, exactly. Then I saw the faring. And, somehow my top box had something in it that was under the seat when I had parked it.

But let's say it hand't been visually obvious, and I had driven home. And it wasn't running right. I feel like NOT saying something puts that driver at a great risk, potentially. What if my left brake HADN'T worked?? It was definitely askew. It makes me so angry.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0133s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0027s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]