OP
UTC

2021 Sei Giorni II GTV300

UTC quote
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I'm trying to install the SIP Speedometer 2.0 into my Sei Giorni and was wondering if anyone has done it before?

There are Black, Red and Brown wires that need to be spliced into existing wiring but just wondering where the best place would be.

There isn't much room to operate from at the front of the bike, and most wiring is covered up near the battery.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Speedo is designed with PX in mind. You won't have an oil pressure light and I don't think you can use the rpm function. You can get power from the alarm plug inside the left knee pad. Install the power box there and use the extension cables. For a modern Vespa, only red and black are needed to power up the speedo, brown wire is for the rpm pulse on the old 2T Vespas. I don't know if it can pickup a pulse from anywhere on the modern ones…
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
There's not a lot of experience with KOSO speedometers in the Vespa community, but if you run a google search for Koso gauges, you will find a lot of information that should help you figure out what goes where.
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Primavera 50 (sold), 2021 Vespa Sprint 150 (sold), 2022 Sei Giorni 300ie

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
czhuynh wrote:
Hi all,

Welcome. Im curious the advantages you find in the speedometer you are trying to install.

This is a nit pick on my part. The Sei Giorni is not a GTV. Meaning Piaggio never called it that. But nobody cares I'm sure.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Speedo is designed with PX in mind. You won't have an oil pressure light and I don't think you can use the rpm function. You can get power from the alarm plug inside the left knee pad. Install the power box there and use the extension cables. For a modern Vespa, only red and black are needed to power up the speedo, brown wire is for the rpm pulse on the old 2T Vespas. I don't know if it can pickup a pulse from anywhere on the modern ones…
Thanks!
That's very useful stuff. I'll have a look.
Anything wiring is definitely out of my expertise....but I'll give it a go.
I mean....what's the worst that could go wrong.....?
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Motovista wrote:
There's not a lot of experience with KOSO speedometers in the Vespa community, but if you run a google search for Koso gauges, you will find a lot of information that should help you figure out what goes where.
Thanks!
Never thought of that, so I'll check it out
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Hey Billrush,

To be honest, I just liked the look of it.
This is my first Vespa and I think I've become addicted to taking it apart, putting it back together and repeating the process over and over again.

Somewhere along the line, I wanted to ensure that the actual speed was displayed on the speedometer (as opposed to being around 10km/h off) and I ended up buying the SIP speedo to achieve that (hopefully).
But to be honest, I just wanted to change it for the looks...

Interesting point about the GTV thing. I would have no idea as this is how the bike was sold to me (i.e. Vespa GTV300 Sei Giorni). The could have called it a Banana and I would have believed him lol
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
73 & 74 Rally, 76 ET3, 80 P200, 06 PX150, 59 Ser 2, 65 Silver Special, 90 V5N 50, 2015 HD Road Glide Special
UTC quote
I'm just about to install one of these for a friend. I would hide the black box in the Legshield and build/buy the extension for the 4 wires that go from it to the Speedo.

As far as the basic wiring, the instructions say red to switched power, black to ground and brown to an always hot power wire.
OP
UTC

UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
I'm just about to install one of these for a friend. I would hide the black box in the Legshield and build/buy the extension for the 4 wires that go from it to the Speedo.

As far as the basic wiring, the instructions say red to switched power, black to ground and brown to an always hot power wire.
Awesome!
Would it be possible to show me how you splice the wires?
I think that's the most difficult part for me. Where to do it, and.....how?
@mjrally avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@mjrally avatar
UTC quote
czhuynh wrote:
Awesome!
Would it be possible to show me how you splice the wires?
I think that's the most difficult part for me. Where to do it, and.....how?
Youre going to have to find someone handy with electrical to show you. I dont have a GTV and my future work will be on a vintage scoot. I'll use a wiring diagram to find the colored wires i'll need. Then as far as splicing, im going to cut the wires and solder them in a Y shape with some shrink wrap to insulate them. Test with a multimeter and then zip tie everything into position/ re-insulate.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/download/article/1/pdf/46bc3735-8068-4069-a8b4-e2d3ef60515c/Assembly+instruction_England_50000220_50000223_50001420_2023_04.pdf?contentType=application-pdf
OP
UTC

UTC quote
MJRally wrote:
Youre going to have to find someone handy with electrical to show you. I dont have a GTV and my future work will be on a vintage scoot. I'll use a wiring diagram to find the colored wires i'll need. Then as far as splicing, im going to cut the wires and solder them in a Y shape with some shrink wrap to insulate them. Test with a multimeter and then zip tie everything into position/ re-insulate.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/download/article/1/pdf/46bc3735-8068-4069-a8b4-e2d3ef60515c/Assembly+instruction_England_50000220_50000223_50001420_2023_04.pdf?contentType=application-pdf
Thanks heaps!
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
czhuynh wrote:
Hey Billrush,

To be honest, I just liked the look of it.
This is my first Vespa and I think I've become addicted to taking it apart, putting it back together and repeating the process over and over again.

Interesting point about the GTV thing. I would have no idea as this is how the bike was sold to me (i.e. Vespa GTV300 Sei Giorni). The could have called it a Banana and I would have believed him lol
I took the Legshield off my first two Vespas apart over and over adding horns and lights. It was fun. I've left the Sei Giorni pretty much stock. I did upgrade the headlight to LED which I recommend.

We need pictures of your new bike please.

Speaking of the name. Do you know the story of Sei Giorni and Vespa? Great historical fact you must know. Our bikes are GTV's at heart but for a few years, about 2019-2023, the called them Sei Giorni instead of GTV. By the way, they are basically GTS 300's in every way except the headlight on the front fender. I think almost 100% of parts are the same but check that.

I use solder sleeves to connect wires. It's a piece of heatshrink with low temp solder in the middle. Put the wires in and heat the middle with a heat gun and it melts the solder to fuse the wires together. Can't beat it. Have fun!
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Interesting stuff

Here are some pics!
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Gorgeous pics. The leg shield black trim is sweet. Do you know if the wheels are original. So many nice things blocked out. What component is SIP on the rear wheel. Nice bike!
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 59,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Gorgeous pics. The leg shield black trim is sweet. Do you know if the wheels are original. So many nice things blocked out. What component is SIP on the rear wheel. Nice bike!
Wheels are from an MP3 https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/rim-front_PI58618R?q=Rim

The red sip you see is a replacement transmission oil dip stick https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/oil-dipstick-gear-oil-sip-series-pordoi_MV832130R
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Steelbytes, how do you do it!? You must be a genius to see those parts and figure where they are. Thanks very kindly.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Steelbytes, how do you do it!? You must be a genius to see those parts and figure where they are. Thanks very kindly.
I've got too much time on my hands and I had seen those before
OP
UTC

UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
I actually purchased them from Falan Parts as I think it worked out cheaper, but SteelBytes is 100% correct on the product/item.

I couldn't stand the chrome bits on the Sei Giorni so have been trying to black as much of it out as I could......which brings me back to the whole point of changing the speedometer

Vespa's are great fun!
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
czhuynh wrote:
I couldn't stand the chrome bits on the Sei Giorni so have been trying to black as much of it out as I could......which brings me back to the whole point of changing the speedometer

Vespa's are great fun!
Your photos are going to cost me lots of money. For starters, the black Legshield trim is such an improvement. I think I saw a Robot (scooterwest) video of replacing that trim. Big big job. You have to dismantle half the bike! Did you do it yourself?
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Here's another suggestion. The Sei Giorni and GTV have exposed handle bars for mounting this. It was about $35. I love being able to see my tire pressure at a glance
Tire Pressure Sensors
Tire Pressure Sensors
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Your photos are going to cost me lots of money. For starters, the black Legshield trim is such an improvement. I think I saw a Robot (scooterwest) video of replacing that trim. Big big job. You have to dismantle half the bike! Did you do it yourself?
ha ha
Sorry, not sorry!

Sorry, because you're right. It can become quite expensive. There are just so many cool things out there. Definitely a slippery slope...

Not sorry, because it's actually great fun. I'd highly recommend it to anyone/everyone!

Yeah, I did everything myself. Headlight, exhaust, the rims, crashbars, shaving down the seat (it didn't actually fit because it was from the previous model...), installing an SAE lead from the battery to connect to the Quadlock wireless charger, cupholder (lol) etc.
But to be honest, it wasn't that hard. Prior to this, I'd NEVER taken anything apart. I mean these days, with Youtube, there's really no excuse for not trying something I have ZERO mechanical experience.

The videos by Robot helped alot. I think I've also watched all of ScooterBud's videos too. I like watching different videos because some had all the proper tools (e.g. Robot), but others would use makeshift tools which was similar to my setup (i.e. I only have basic tools).

Not sure where you're based, but I'm in Melbourne, Australia. If you were local (or if anyone else is!), I'd be happy to help.

Lastly, yeah, the leg shield trim is pretty involved. You pretty much have to to take everything off. The most stressful part to remove is the glove box. It's scary. You have to wriggle it around the cables and there are always things stretching/creaking etc. I hate doing it so much that I ended up retracing my steps and writing down the exact steps on how to take it off. It's honestly the worst.

But if you can get past that, you'll be fine!

I've attached some photos of when I took it all apart
OP
UTC

UTC quote
Billrush wrote:
Here's another suggestion. The Sei Giorni and GTV have exposed handle bars for mounting this. It was about $35. I love being able to see my tire pressure at a glance
Cool

So....is the info relayed via Bluetooth from a sensor? Like the cap thingy on the wheel?
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
czhuynh wrote:
Cool

So....is the info relayed via Bluetooth from a sensor? Like the cap thingy on the wheel?
Exactly. No wires. No dismantling. Chinese made. Has been reliable
@billrush avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@billrush avatar
UTC quote
Attached is my Sei Giorni now. Replaced the mirrors a few weeks ago. I'm not done blacking out. I like the touch of red on the OEM wheels. Always fun!
2022 Sei Giorni 300
2022 Sei Giorni 300
⬆️    About 1 year elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

Enthusiast
2022 Vespa 300 GTSV Sei Giorni

Enthusiast
2022 Vespa 300 GTSV Sei Giorni
UTC quote
It's been awhile but did you get that Sip speedometer installed and all features (oil light and other things that were maybe not gking to work) are working?

If so, can you explain what adaptations were needed?

I have exact same Vespa and want the exact same speedometer but not if certain functions don't work.
czhuynh wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to install the SIP Speedometer 2.0 into my Sei Giorni and was wondering if anyone has done it before?

There are Black, Red and Brown wires that need to be spliced into existing wiring but just wondering where the best place would be.

There isn't much room to operate from at the front of the bike, and most wiring is covered up near the battery.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0114s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0047s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]