UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
ARGGGH! Windows 10 updating itself even though I've told it not to, then tries to get me to try 365-something. F-OFF!
I'm refusing to go to 11 until security updates for 10 stop be delivered. (think late next year). Then I could almost go to chromeos as I can run my android dev tools on that (but probably wont).
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Yet another "there is a problem with your parcel delivery, please click here" phishing txt that just coincidentally coincides with a day I'm loitering around the letterbox waiting for scooter bits to arrive. Scream emoticon
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
"there is a problem with your parcel delivery, please click here"
I wonder if a draped body would have delivery problems 🤔
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
Curious if anyone else searches the internet before they buy anything?

My neighbor had a problem with a Rheem electric water heater. Not only did the water heater quit but there were also problems with the warranty process and repair...big huge hassle but that's not the main problem I see.

My neighbor went solar a couple years ago. That was the reason he got an electric water heater. All professionally installed the Rheem warranty people tried to blame shoddy installation but no all up to code and proper.

He researched before he bought the Rheem. Everybody said it was good online, no problems everything fantastic.

I did a quick search myself and didn't find anything to warn me off of the Rheem brand in fact everything I found highly recommended them and no problems.

The local plumbers have told my neighbor that Rheem is the worst and the water heater is having to be replaced because they can't even get replacement parts for a two year old water heater.

Over and over again after having problems with the Rheem and talking to local plumbers and plumbing supply houses the consensus of opinion is that Rheem products are very low quality and you cannot get parts when they do break.

Why was this information not readily available at the first search? How is it possible that when you search are Rheem water heaters any good or however you want to word the query how is it that what is widely known as bad in the industry show up as good when you search a fairly vague term that obviously indicates you are researching a purchase.

Am I being paranoid? Is it just me thinking that every time I search for anything most of what the search returns is BS trying to sell me something and then when I actually try to find good information about specifics there seems to be blocking of useful to the consumer negative information.

For a long time I realized there was fake news or statements online. I think it was easy to spot them at first, just obvious. But I think they have gotten better at not being truthful. It is more subtle and less easy to spot until something glaring comes up like this thing with my neighbor.

The information he got online before purchase was bogus. The bogus information is still there. I have heard that one hack was to add reddit to the search query someplace. Reddit used to have some credibility to separate the bogus from the legitimate but it feels to me like that is getting less effective as well.

I have come to the conclusion, and I want you all to remember you heard it here first that the internet as we know it is in decline.
⚠️ Last edited by skids on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
skids wrote:
I have come to the conclusion, and I want you all to remember you heard it here first that the internet as we know it is in decline.
With you on that.

Except for MV of course!
@obx_dude avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@obx_dude avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
I'm refusing to go to 11 until security updates for 10 stop be delivered. (think late next year). Then I could almost go to chromeos as I can run my android dev tools on that (but probably wont).
Oct. 14, 2024. I have a Dell that I love, and I refuse to go Apple because only douchebags pay for the privilege. I'll probably go Dell again.
@obx_dude avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@obx_dude avatar
UTC quote
skids

Keep your chin up. There are generally more good people than bad.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
OBX Dude wrote:
I refuse to go Apple because only douchebags pay for the privilege.
In almost exactly the same way that only "douchebags" pay for the privilege of a Vespa.

Read the room, Trotter.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I don't think AI is helping sometimes. There seems to be more disinformation than information. Case in point: looking up the transmission fluid capacity for my daughter's 2012 Prius that I was planning on changing. Top hit is AI - reports as 10 quarts and is vague on the type needed. Go to the dealer: Toyota ATF type WS - capacity 3.4 quarts. It was right on the money. I think AI is about collecting all the BS and spewing it back out as fact. So, nothing has really changed going the easy way. You have to do your homework or you get screwed.
@daleb avatar
UTC

Hooked
'55 VL1

Hooked
@daleb avatar
'55 VL1
UTC quote
OBX Dude wrote:
Oct. 14, 2024. I have a Dell that I love, and I refuse to go Apple because only douchebags pay for the privilege. I'll probably go Dell again.
For the past three years I've used a Windows desktop for my own personal stuff, and had a Windows laptop (Dell) and a MacBook Air M1 for work. I've also used Lenovo and HP Windows laptops off and on… I was head of infrastructure for a bank, and made purchase and procurement decisions and had the end user support team. We supported both Windows and Mac platforms because we had a bunch of developers as well as a large number of insufferable prima donna Brit executives who demanded them.

Of all of them, the MacBook is far and away the best hardware at no real cost premium over a comparable Windows laptop. Yes, you can buy a cheap $500 Windows laptop, but it's in an entirely different class than the MacBook Air, let alone the Pro.

I still use Windows most of the time, simply because the keyboard works right (looking at you, DEL key) and the MS Office apps actually work. That said, when I left the company I kept the Windows and Mac laptops. The Windows machine is wiped and going to a family member, and I'm keeping the Mac for my travel machine. When I left, we had a stack of failed Windows laptops in London, Belfast, and Charlotte. Bad drives, failed keyboards, dead screens. There were two broken Macs that people had dropped down stairwells or closed in car doors. Take that for whatever it's worth.

I had a similar opinion of Macs for years - overpriced toys for dilettantes. You live and learn. They are even viable in a corporate environment, if you spend the money and time to implement Jamf to manage them.

Cavest: I also had an Intel based Mac for a couple of months. I wouldn't bother with one of those for anything, it was the worst of MacOS without the redeeming qualities of Apple silicon.
@daleb avatar
UTC

Hooked
'55 VL1

Hooked
@daleb avatar
'55 VL1
UTC quote
skids wrote:
I want you all to remember you heard it here first that the internet as we know it is in decline.
That's been going on for years. IMHO since the explosion of Facebook (we should be so lucky).
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
DaleB wrote:
That's been going on for years. IMHO since the explosion of Facebook (we should be so lucky).
The rot set in with AOL. What the hell are regular people doing on my internet?
@daleb avatar
UTC

Hooked
'55 VL1

Hooked
@daleb avatar
'55 VL1
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Well, yeah, we thought the same thing at the time (I owned an ISP selling dialup service starting in '94), but honestly I'd pay good money to go back to those days. We had no idea just how bad it would get.

Yesterday we were visiting my wife's parents. Her 82 year old Dad was scrolling through Dacebook and saw some idiotic video explaining how to "get all the channels" with nothing more than a charging cable… so he asks me, the tech guy, about it. I told him the truth, in one word: Horseshit. And he proceeds to watch the entire stupid text-to-speech-narrated thing showing how to destroy a perfectly good charging cable to get the wire to stick in the antenna jack of a TV. Because there are NO other sources of wire, of course, and you'll totally get CNN and Fox News with an antenna.

Google that. It's everywhere.

Sigh.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
I don't think AI is helping sometimes. There seems to be more disinformation than information. [...] I think AI is about collecting all the BS and spewing it back out as fact.
This is more true than you know. The thing about large language models (which is what the current batch of "chatbot-style" AI uses) is that nobody actually knows how they work. We know how to influence them by changing the training process, but their core decision-making process is largely a mystery.

Which is why all attempts at reining them in -- i.e. making them tell the truth, and only produce factual information -- will fail.
⚠️ Last edited by jess on UTC; edited 3 times
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
nobody actually knows how they work.
More human than human!
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
So it's not just me noticing. I am not crazy or paranoid the internet is becoming more insidious.

I guess I'm glad I'm not wrong but wait...

That's just messed up. I'm not pissed off anymore, now I'm sad.
@hilton avatar
UTC

ET4-150 ( Called ET8 in HKG )

@hilton avatar
ET4-150 ( Called ET8 in HKG )
UTC quote
I believe the correct response would be:
"Be afraid, be very afraid".
🤦🏼‍♂️
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Skynet will save us

PS. Can the pedants not try and call me out on the distinctions between algorithms vs artificial intelligence. And why do I feel the need to write this
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Eternal September. Todays date: September 11263, 1993

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
The Cubs clutch is slipping in 3rd when cold.

Hmmmmm.
@olde_rider avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@olde_rider avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:

Hmmmmm.
There used to be an adjustment screw right at the clutch cover, decades ago. There just might be the same sort of adjustment on yours.
@olde_rider avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@olde_rider avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:

Hmmmmm.
ETA: it's in the bottom right of this pic.

There used to be an adjustment screw right at the clutch cover, decades ago. There just might be the same sort of adjustment on yours.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Thank you very much.

Incredibly helpful.
@fleece avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport

Ossessionato
@fleece avatar
1991 Vespa T5 Pole Position, 2008 Vespa S 125, 2023 Piaggio MP3 300HPE Sport
UTC quote
getting done for speeding in a Honda Jazz for f*ck's sake!
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Well, if you're going to break the Law, Break the Law. Proud of you I am.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
In other News. My Consultant calls me to say that my last blood test showed that I'm low on Phosphate.

What could have caused that I asked.

Have you stopped eating Chocolate recently ?

Yes.

That's it.

Arse.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
In other News. My Consultant calls me to say that my last blood test showed that I'm low on Phosphate.

What could have caused that I asked.

Have you stopped eating Chocolate recently ?

Yes.

That's it.

Arse.
Seems simple, ask your Dr for a prescription for chocolate!
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
skids wrote:
Curious if anyone else searches the internet before they buy anything?

My neighbor had a problem with a Rheem electric water heater. Not only did the water heater quit but there were also problems with the warranty process and repair...big huge hassle but that's not the main problem I see.

My neighbor went solar a couple years ago. That was the reason he got an electric water heater. All professionally installed the Rheem warranty people tried to blame shoddy installation but no all up to code and proper.

He researched before he bought the Rheem. Everybody said it was good online, no problems everything fantastic.

I did a quick search myself and didn't find anything to warn me off of the Rheem brand in fact everything I found highly recommended them and no problems.

The local plumbers have told my neighbor that Rheem is the worst and the water heater is having to be replaced because they can't even get replacement parts for a two year old water heater.

Over and over again after having problems with the Rheem and talking to local plumbers and plumbing supply houses the consensus of opinion is that Rheem products are very low quality and you cannot get parts when they do break.

Why was this information not readily available at the first search? How is it possible that when you search are Rheem water heaters any good or however you want to word the query how is it that what is widely known as bad in the industry show up as good when you search a fairly vague term that obviously indicates you are researching a purchase.

Am I being paranoid? Is it just me thinking that every time I search for anything most of what the search returns is BS trying to sell me something and then when I actually try to find good information about specifics there seems to be blocking of useful to the consumer negative information.

For a long time I realized there was fake news or statements online. I think it was easy to spot them at first, just obvious. But I think they have gotten better at not being truthful. It is more subtle and less easy to spot until something glaring comes up like this thing with my neighbor.

The information he got online before purchase was bogus. The bogus information is still there. I have heard that one hack was to add reddit to the search query someplace. Reddit used to have some credibility to separate the bogus from the legitimate but it feels to me like that is getting less effective as well.

Have you considered that the problem may lie with the plumbers and not the internet?
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
Seems simple, ask your Dr for a prescription for chocolate!
This is why the NHS is broke!
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
Syd wrote:
Have you considered that the problem may lie with the plumbers and not the internet?
Yes that is a valid question. Very similar to the question the Rheem warranty people had about whether or not it was installed properly to begin with which it was an internal part that failed, a heating element that should not have worked without a proper hookup.

I did not personally inspect it so I do not know. I do know my neighbor though, and more than one well respected service plumber in the area said Rheem was junk as well as two plumbing supply houses...I said the consensus of opinion and to me that means 4-5 to qualify.

Also the reddit hack did work in this application. If you just search "are rheem water heaters any good" nothing bad comes up but if you add reddit to the query there is talk among the people with boots on the ground saying rheem is junk.

I used to do similar type work and know that you can hear anything among the plumbers and anybody can get a bad one but when you start hearing it over and over it's hard not to believe.

Also back when I used to do that kind of work Rheem had an excellent reputation but it was commonly known that the ten year and five year water heaters were exactly the same. Different price for longer warranty but same water heater. Most of them lasted well over ten years...

That could be why good recommendations still linger and a recent change in how they do things could be why they are recently junk. It might not be the internet but I am suspicious nonetheless! I would expect the bad to go right to the top and that doesn't seem to be the case, getting what I feel like is accurate information seems more difficult but yeah anything is possible.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
UTC quote
skids wrote:
Yes that is a valid question. Very similar to the question the Rheem warranty people had about whether or not it was installed properly to begin with which it was an internal part that failed, a heating element that should not have worked without a proper hookup.

I did not personally inspect it so I do not know. I do know my neighbor though, and more than one well respected service plumber in the area said Rheem was junk as well as two plumbing supply houses...I said the consensus of opinion and to me that means 4-5 to qualify.

Also the reddit hack did work in this application. If you just search "are rheem water heaters any good" nothing bad comes up but if you add reddit to the query there is talk among the people with boots on the ground saying rheem is junk.

I used to do similar type work and know that you can hear anything among the plumbers and anybody can get a bad one but when you start hearing it over and over it's hard not to believe.

Also back when I used to do that kind of work Rheem had an excellent reputation but it was commonly known that the ten year and five year water heaters were exactly the same. Different price for longer warranty but same water heater. Most of them lasted well over ten years...

That could be why good recommendations still linger and a recent change in how they do things could be why they are recently junk. It might not be the internet but I am suspicious nonetheless! I would expect the bad to go right to the top and that doesn't seem to be the case, getting what I feel like is accurate information seems more difficult but yeah anything is possible.
I too am old enough to remember when appliances would last seemingly forever. When Mrs Syd and I moved into our house in 1998, the gas-pack, an a/c + heater that goes on the roof, was the original, installed in 1971. Fifteen years later, when it finally died, that gas-pack was replaced with one that barely outlived the warrantee.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
The NHS isn't broke. It's incredibly well financed.

It's staffed by some incredible people who are managed by some less incredible people who are rigid in their thinking.

That's the problem.
@coddy avatar
UTC

Addicted
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800

Addicted
@coddy avatar
2021 GTS 300 Supersport, Triumph Tiger 800
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
It's staffed by some incredible people who are managed by some less incredible people who are rigid in their thinking.

That's the problem.
It's one of them at least.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
The NHS isn't broke. It's incredibly well financed.

That's the problem.
And...
Bill Dog wrote:
I believe that we aren't allowed to talk about Politics.

Not even in a generalised form.
Which way do you want to play this Bill?
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
UTC quote
Not playing Jim. I'm just pointing out that the rules say that we can't talk about Politics.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Bill Dog wrote:
Not playing Jim. I'm just pointing out that the rules say that we can't talk about Politics.
Encouraging people to vote isn't "talking Politics". Dissing the current crop of politically appointed NHS management (however much I might agree with you) could certainly be construed as such. However neither is overtly politically partisan in any way, so IMHO both can stand.

In future, if you want to complain about the content of a post, please use the reporting system, and not publish your personal interpretation of the forum guidelines here.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
what pisses me off is that I'm not fucking creative enough with my fuck'n swearing.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
what pisses me off is that I'm not fucking creative enough with my fuck'n swearing.
Have you thought about buying a Lambretta?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
znomit wrote:
Have you thought about buying a Lambretta?
My current mental health drugs are not up to the task
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
My current mental health drugs are not up to the task
Scooters >> Drugs
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.1382s ][ Queries: 5 (0.1179s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]