UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Small frames use smaller sparks so they fit through that little hole just fine. Razz emoticon
lots of dad joke energy there. love it.
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
^^^
Verily.

Again…Thanks for posting up such great details.
ET3s are fairly rare over here so there isn't a ton of info on the model specific differences. This is a great help.
@rallygeek avatar
UTC

Hooked
Polaris Grey Rally 200, Blue Marine Primavera ET3, Coral Red 50 Special

Hooked
@rallygeek avatar
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
^^^
Verily.

Again…Thanks for posting up such great details.
ET3s are fairly rare over here so there isn't a ton of info on the model specific differences. This is a great help.
My pleasure. Your build is pushing me to finish mine. I think I take up the ham bet!!
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
OK, it's been A minute… You know how it goes waiting on orders, exploding other bikes, hookers, blow… (Ok, ok I made up those last two for dramatic effect in case you were wondering.)

But seriously, to the matter at hand, I posted in the "today and Scooter bollocks thread" that I had finished cabling the headset when the selector cable outers decided to drop down the headset into the steering column. Multiple times no less.

After some great suggestions from other members, I decided to take a page from my kayaking days (lots of repairing rotomolded plastics) and got out a soldering gun with a trash tip and some shaved plastic slices from the outside of the cable guide assembly, so that I had some decent slivers of plastic. I heated them up and added them to the inside of the guide, where the cable outers just would not seat. With the extra plastic, the fit of the cable guide to the outers was much better, I shoved the outers up and into the plastic guide and so far they are holding in place.

For anyone searching in the future… There is a best practices as far as the order of assembly goes in these transitional headsets between the pre-P stuff and the P series stuff. What I found most efficient was to not insert the shifter tube into the headset… until after seating the outers into the plastic cable guide assembly. Then, drop the assembly down through the Speedo hole and into into place, and then insert your selector inner cables into the cable guide… and then finally inserting the gear selector tube back into the headset with all the requisite washers and retainer clip.
Cable guide sliding into place after welding in some extra plastic.
Cable guide sliding into place after welding in some extra plastic.
Reinsert gear selector tube after sliding in the plastic cable guide with the cables in place.
Reinsert gear selector tube after sliding in the plastic cable guide with the cables in place.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
That's using your noggin' - better than my hot glue idea. Clap emoticon
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
That's using your noggin' - better than my hot glue idea. Clap emoticon
That was the inspiration. You, Malcolm, and Chandlerman and Greasy helped me down that path.
Gratzi.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
I mainly commiserated and played cheerleader from the sidelines.

everybody had wayyyy better ideas than I had on the process.
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Well... lots of progress after the last SIP shipment.

The 'ET3 complete' rubber kit lacked the one rubber I really needed, because of course. I ordered the kit for the little rubber guard that goes into the glovebox and cushions the routing of the HT wire and the stator wires to and from the CDI.

To solve, I went through all my miscellaneous vespa rubber (it was like a crackhead looking for his last rock in 70's shag carpeting) and finally found something suitable.

Engine is ready to go in... but the last bit of button up... I need to find the torque value for the Selector rod screw. The one that secures the spider.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/screw-selector-rod-sip_98787000?usrc=Gear%20Box%20-%20Selector%20Box

I didn't see it on the smallie torqe settings. Or, I overlooked it...

I think 16NM? but not sure at all on that. Anybody?
Ready for action up front
Ready for action up front
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

24 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

24 Days Since Last Explosion
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Engine is ready to go in... but the last bit of button up... I need to find the torque value for the Selector rod screw. The one that secures the spider.

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/screw-selector-rod-sip_98787000?usrc=Gear%20Box%20-%20Selector%20Box

I didn't see it on the smallie torqe settings. Or, I overlooked it...

I think 16NM? but not sure at all on that. Anybody?
I got nothin'. I've always just gone with "a little more than hand tight" on mine.
@rallygeek avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rallygeek avatar
UTC quote
What do you mean by Selector rod screw? Is it the pin the holds the selector arm onto the mechanism. On mine it's a pin that gets hammered in.

[/url] https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/selector-arm-fa_12135600[url] the thing for attaching the gear cables to.

You are getting ahead of me on getting you bike on the road. My engine is being timed at the shop as I couldn't get my strobe light to work and he has a lot of work on right now. [/url]
@rallygeek avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@rallygeek avatar
UTC quote
Rallygeek wrote:
What do you mean by Selector rod screw? Is it the pin the holds the selector arm onto the mechanism. On mine it's a pin that gets hammered in.

[/url] https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/selector-arm-fa_12135600[url] the thing for attaching the gear cables to.

You are getting ahead of me on getting you bike on the road. My engine is being timed at the shop as I couldn't get my strobe light to work and he has a lot of work on right now. [/url]
Sorry I think I understand now, it's the bolt that holds the mechanism in place on top of the case. Scooter centre says 17-22NM.
OP
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Rallygeek wrote:
Sorry I think I understand now, it's the bolt that holds the mechanism in place on top of the case. Scooter centre says 17-22NM.
Excellent

TY!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0296s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0232s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]