OP
@kaptainkid avatar
UTC

Member
2006 Vespa GT 200L
Joined: UTC
Posts: 47
Location: Los Angeles
 
Member
@kaptainkid avatar
2006 Vespa GT 200L
Joined: UTC
Posts: 47
Location: Los Angeles
UTC quote
Generally I'm doing 75 mph and maintaining 30-40 minutes of riding. I get a burnt rubber smell coming from the CVT. It also happens on my 2013 300GTS as well but not as much. Both Vespas have newer belts under 2000 miles uses. Both have current maintenance up to date. Should I be concerned? I'm assuming let the belt break and deal with then.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14521
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
 
Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
Joined: UTC
Posts: 14521
Location: The state of insanity, SoCal
UTC quote
different types of belts-- especially non OEM ones can give off a variety of funky smells. the same goes for a belt that is not correctly sized, it may ride incorrectly and "burn" a little bit.

also, if the faces of the pulleys are worn or out of spec they can produce some interesting wear resulting in funky smells as the belt gets ate up.

the final consideration is your regimen of water cleaning the CVT. that may have unintended consequences-- such as jamming up something in the sheaved pulley operation and now causing undue wear on the belt resulting in the smell.

personally, I wouldn't wait for a belt to break. one reason is that it's easier to identify a problem when you don't have to deal with a CVT case full of shrapnel. the second reason is the possibility of failure at speed and locking the rear wheel. and the final reason is the clean up on the CVT when the belt explodes is twice the work and takes three times as long.

with things like this it's better to be proactive than reactive. mainly because they usually don't solve themselves.
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
Joined: UTC
Posts: 396
Location: Dahlonega, GA
 
Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
Joined: UTC
Posts: 396
Location: Dahlonega, GA
UTC quote
Every time I smell burning rubber after highway speeds, it has always been something dragging on the rear tire. Double check the rear fender!
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Addicted
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R
Joined: UTC
Posts: 992
Location: Black Hills South Dakota USA
 
Addicted
@jbacklund avatar
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R
Joined: UTC
Posts: 992
Location: Black Hills South Dakota USA
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
personally, I wouldn't wait for a belt to break. one reason is that it's easier to identify a problem when you don't have to deal with a CVT case full of shrapnel. the second reason is the possibility of failure at speed and locking the rear wheel. and the final reason is the clean up on the CVT when the belt explodes is twice the work and takes three times as long.

with things like this it's better to be proactive than reactive. mainly because they usually don't solve themselves.
I unintentionally went the 'reactive' route earlier this year. I am now in the 'proactive' camp.

6200 miles, mostly highway...no noticeable smells, no sounds, Kablooey!.

I'll give it a fresh (oem) belt every 5000 from now on.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@berto avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1894
Location: Toronto
 
Molto Verboso
@berto avatar
2006 LX150 (carbed) | 2007 GT200
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1894
Location: Toronto
UTC quote
rdhood wrote:
Every time I smell burning rubber after highway speeds, it has always been something dragging on the rear tire. Double check the rear fender!
I was going to say same. Burning rubber smell on my GT200 a little whole back was the fender had sagged with age and was rubbing on the tire.
OP
@kaptainkid avatar
UTC

Member
2006 Vespa GT 200L
Joined: UTC
Posts: 47
Location: Los Angeles
 
Member
@kaptainkid avatar
2006 Vespa GT 200L
Joined: UTC
Posts: 47
Location: Los Angeles
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
different types of belts-- especially non OEM ones can give off a variety of funky smells. the same goes for a belt that is not correctly sized, it may ride incorrectly and "burn" a little bit.

also, if the faces of the pulleys are worn or out of spec they can produce some interesting wear resulting in funky smells as the belt gets ate up.

the final consideration is your regimen of water cleaning the CVT. that may have unintended consequences-- such as jamming up something in the sheaved pulley operation and now causing undue wear on the belt resulting in the smell.

personally, I wouldn't wait for a belt to break. one reason is that it's easier to identify a problem when you don't have to deal with a CVT case full of shrapnel. the second reason is the possibility of failure at speed and locking the rear wheel. and the final reason is the clean up on the CVT when the belt explodes is twice the work and takes three times as long.

with things like this it's better to be proactive than reactive. mainly because they usually don't solve themselves.
Let me start off by saying yes the water spraying in the CVT housing was a cleaning method I thought was a good maintenance schedule. I only did them after smelling light burnt rubber smell after riding on the highway at max speed 75 mph. I only done twice in the last 18 month. I did the water cleaning only after a belt change and an oil change.
Honestly with it limited introduction of water cleaning I would say it wasn't done enough to do damage. Or at least I don't think that was enough to damage.
Secondly, I was experiencing these burnt rubber smell only after highway runs and it happens both before the water spray cleaning and after. The burnt rubber smell isn't a new thing but rather a common pattern I'm noticing on all my Vespa runs. I owned 2006 GT200, 2009 250GTS and 2013 300GTS. All have OEM Vespa belts. I never water cleaned the 250GTS and it happens on that one too.
Thirdly, I would say the burnt rubber smell is very light nothing to be concerned but I would consider the smell one would expect after or just before a belt breaking.
My issues is not the back tire rubbing since I see no signs of rubbing and my shocks are in very good condition on all my scooters.
Who else smells a little rubber after a highway ride? I'm 5'9" 215 lbs maybe I'm too heavy and should I expect some smells from the CVT because it common. Just asking to see anyone else's experience.
I push my scooter to top speed and I know a lot of large body Vespa riders don't ride at max speed on highways because it's dangerous..
@buggsy avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTV / GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 344
Location: Somewhere on the Island of Great Britain, East Coast, Last time I looked.
 
Hooked
@buggsy avatar
GTV / GTS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 344
Location: Somewhere on the Island of Great Britain, East Coast, Last time I looked.
UTC quote
(you say)Honestly with it limited introduction of water cleaning I would say it wasn't done enough to do damage. Or at least I don't think that was enough to damage.

And you cant assume the above, I don't mean that in a harsh way but Greasy is spot on with his posts, how far did the water ingress? you have sliders, rollers ferrous surfaces and when you spin the scooter up the centrifugal force will make the rubber dust and crud into a fine paste like substance, sticking and drying on component's that should run free or not corrode.

A for Instance. car in garage for diagnostics, technician "that's a nice clean engine bay" customer " I jet wash it frequently", Tech, "when did you last do it", customer "last week" Cause = water in the Turbo PCB, very expensive avoidable repair Facepalm emoticon

If it helps I don't get any smells after a lengthy run, and I would use Clutch and Brake cleaner in that area for future reference.😉👍
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0316s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0033s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]