OP
@ccgs188 avatar
UTC

2006 Vespa LX125

@ccgs188 avatar
2006 Vespa LX125
UTC quote
Hello my dear uncles! I am new to this forum. First of all, let me introduce something about myself and the Vespa. My mom, which is the owner of the LX bought it in 2007 after getting her Master Degree, and since then it was our daily bike. My parents decided to pass it over to me after graduating from highschool and it is about to happen in 3 years. I told my father that I love the GTS Super series and he said he will buy me one in the future, but the problem here is that I don't just love Vespas, I'd love to restore the value of my mother's beloved LX as of other old stuffs. My father said turning an LX into a GTS Super would be more expensive than getting a new one. So yeah, I wanted a ''budget'' Vespa build, as long as it's cheaper than a GTS Super. Here's the current plan:
Full Sei Giorni kit
GTS Super carbon fiber sides + taillights
250cc engine from a Honda Freeway with 65zz mod + Exhaust
Modern front-misc stuffs such as the brake calipers, etc...
I think the problem with this build is the front end
Please give me some advices, thank you in advance.
The image below is a GTS that my dad spotted while getting my sister a $500 pair of glasses 💀
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, Primavera, some pushbikes
UTC quote
If you want a faster LX you can put a 190cc kit in it.
You can't get GTS levels of performance out of it but it will make a huge difference to your 125. The body parts aren't interchangeable either.
@tomaszka avatar
UTC

LX 125 '07

@tomaszka avatar
LX 125 '07
UTC quote
I can confirm, 187cc with upgear mod is a great way to speed up 125LX 😁👍
OP
@ccgs188 avatar
UTC

2006 Vespa LX125

@ccgs188 avatar
2006 Vespa LX125
UTC quote
Hey there, I just wanted to say that beside from performance tuning, I also like the GTS Super's design. Well, about the body parts changing, I wanted to do some cutting and welding, as well as using putty/filler stuffs. I believe it's possible, though.
@katana avatar
UTC

2006 Vespa LX150, 2006 Honda Zoomer

@katana avatar
2006 Vespa LX150, 2006 Honda Zoomer
UTC quote
So, let me get this straight. You want a GTS-look like LX plus performance mods and all this under the budget of a GTS?

It can't be done in my opinion, as one that is aware of the amount of cash invested in my LX so far, and it's far from being done.

If you only want the looks I think you may try to tinker it on a "budget", although as an LX owner I don't think some of it is technically possible, the LX front glove box is way thinner than the GTS one, as the GTS has all the water cooling in there, so I don't think you can install the cooling vents from a GTS on it. You can always try to install the front and rear GTS turn signal lights and the tail light by modifying the panels, although the effort is a bit much in my opinion as it requires a huge amount of cutting, welding and modifying. Regarding the front end, it may prove challenging replacing the front headlight and stuff from a GTS to an LX.

About installing an engine from a honda, wow, I am not sure I heard anyone doing it. I think you would have huge issues installing it, and cooling it (keep in mind the LX is air cooled).

So yeah, best option as the others around here have said is installing a 200 cc cylinder, be it from Malossi, Polini or even the Liberty one. I have done that, along with the final trans mod, brake upgrade and so on.
But don't expect it to be cheap. Even though you probably got a carburetted engine on the LX as it's from 2007 so you won't need a new CDI as the injected engines do, you will need to upgrade the rest of the parts if you want a real performance increase. This would probably mean final trans, variator, clutch, brakes, shock absorbers, better exhaust and so on.
I live in Europe, so parts cost is in Euros but I think you can draw a line between Euros and Dollars regarding price cost in US.

So far the mods I listed earlier have cost me around 2000 Eur (parts only), not accounting mechanics fees as I did most mods myself.
Add to this the cost of all the parts and labor for the body mods, and I think you will realise it's cheaper to get a used GT or GTS. Not to mention you will never get the same stability as you get from a GTS on a small frame.

I did realise that too late.
OP
@ccgs188 avatar
UTC

2006 Vespa LX125

@ccgs188 avatar
2006 Vespa LX125
UTC quote
Alright, so I am gonna answer to each of your paragraph, but expect an amateur way of thinking as I just stepped into motorbikes in general.

1. Well, I would say ''kind of'', so let's just say that I wanted to juice as much performance as possible into the LX, I will pay that off, not related to the price of GTS (I think it didn't make any sense to my previous mini-posts but hey...)

2. Keep in mind that I'm in Vietnam, the market prices here are pretty cheap and stable, our food and also computer parts (cheaper than pretty much the rest of other markets).

3. About the looks, I think I can get a scrap GTS and put the front glove box and rear side panels with some taillight design modifications. That scrap bike is a 2009 GTS (not sure all the specs) and its side panels are rusty with huge paint peels. Basically the whole front bloc will be replaced except for the handle bars and rounded headlights.

4. Well, getting a Honda engine isn't that neccessary but I just wanted to take a chance to be 1/5000 Honda Freeway 250 owners in Vietnam. If not then okay, I will just do the things you and Tomas told.

5.187cc engine with upgear mod, 200cc pistols from Malossi (and probably some other stuffs from Malossi too). One question: Is there any gated-manual transmission mod for Vespa scooters? I found that manual bikes usually accelerate faster and more enjoyable at climbing hillways. About the brake upgrade, I think the iGET but saying ''yes'' with watercooling would be nice. Another question: Is watercooling customizable? I am thinking of an RGB style thing just like those gaming computers out there.

6. Well, about the E2000 you've spent, it is a price of an used GTS with all registrations done here in Vietnam.

7. I will work on the LX with some friends of my father, they're not far away and I gotta say they're one of the most enthusiastic bike modifiers I've ever seen, currently.

8. As I said above, I wanted to restore the LX's value back to its former glory (6000U$)- Bonus: I love to work on technical objects so the project is also a way to let myself enjoy the taste of labouring. I know ways to motivate myself so yeah, just slide it away.

Well, your advices are pretty helpful so far. Thank you
@tszarathusra avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.

Hooked
@tszarathusra avatar
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.
UTC quote
I love a good project.
But.
If you want to ride the bike within reasonable time period, want reliable bike, and value your time, trade the LX in for a GTS. It's cheaper in the long run.
If you like tinkering, and constantly upgrading, and adjusting, go ahead with the conversion. It's more expensive than you think, but it will build skills.
OP
@ccgs188 avatar
UTC

2006 Vespa LX125

@ccgs188 avatar
2006 Vespa LX125
UTC quote
Well, I'd say I want both, but your second point hits me up more.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
With one simple modification, it is relatively easy and inexpensive to increase the power and add a gated manual transmission to your Vespa LX, and still keep it air cooled, or switch to liquid cooling. And this simple modification gives your LX enough power to climb just about any hill. And your mother isn't going to borrow your Vespa.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0277s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0056s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]