@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2008 MP3 500, 2013 BV350, 2020 Vespa Sei Giorni, 2008 Vespa S150

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
So how far are people pushing the belt on the HPE 300 Vespas? My first belt I took out to 8,000 miles, and it looked like new, was thinking of taking this one out to 10,000 miles. Has anybody taking a belt to 12,000 miles on the new HPE 300 like on the older 300s?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
First belt, certainly. Second? I wouldn't push it - all those little extra micro-grooves in the pulleys take their toll.

Now that does depend on your mileage over time - a few years ago I was doing over 24,000 miles a year, and so changing belts every 3 months seemed an expense I should mitigate. So I left them a bit longer - bad mistake. The guts of blown belts are not funny to remove.

6,000 miles seems good to me - and if the belt still looks good, keep as a spare, and throw the previous 'spare' away.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
I agree with jim. on a first belt I'd be fine with something around 8K of mixed riding. but after that, I'd strongly recommend 6K intervals.

if you're riding big long rides I'd 100% recommend an inspection at 4K, especially with transmission components that have wear on them.

I only had two come in last year with wadded up belts. one was at 14 and change and had done the belt at 7 and the other was 19 and had done the belt at 13.
OP
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
Well guess I'll be doing rear tire and belt soon.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
2020 GTS300, 6200 miles, original belt, almost all rural county road and highway miles.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
^^^ Not surprised, constant heat kills 'em.
OP
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
2020 Vespa GTV, Change my original belt at 8000 mi, and it looked perfect, flipped it inside out and no cracks whatsoever on the inside. No idea what happened to yours. Mostly country riding on mine also.
OP
@web-tech avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@web-tech avatar
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
2020 GTS300, 6200 miles, original belt, almost all rural county road and highway miles.
How much highway? Highway kills belts.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
checked my belt this week at 4300km: very slight cracking between some teeth. will leave for another couple/few thousand km.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
WEB-Tech wrote:
How much highway? Highway kills belts.
I'd estimate my Vespa miles are at least 80% ridden on roads that are a minimum of 50mph on the the low side, to an actual 65 mph+ at the high side.

I only occasionally ride my GTS into town.

Most of my miles have been accumulated while running from Rapid City up to Deadwood (100 miles round trip) on as many summer mornings as I can, as often as five times per week. My speeds on the Black Hills blacktop two-lane that I ride on these little trips are anywhere from 45 mph to 70 mph (actual mph, not indicated).

Soon after buying my GTS in August of 2022, I rode it from western South Dakota to Pipestone, Minnesota, stayed one night, then rode it back home, 840 miles in the two days I was gone, all of it at 60 mph or a bit over that.

I'm (now) aware that running the Vespa 300 HPE's at relatively higher average speeds will prematurely(?) destroy the drive belt.

I'm going to replace my drive belt every 5000 just as a matter of course.

On the road to Deadwood from Rapid City....
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by JBacklund on UTC; edited 2 times
@madison_sully avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@madison_sully avatar
MP3 500, GTS 250 (both 2008 MY), 2013 Piaggio BV 350, 2014 Can Am Spyder RT
UTC quote
I'd suggest for those of us riding high miles, to always have a spare variator on hand when changing out the belt. Obviously the rollers and sliders get renewed at each belt, but the metal bits wear too.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
I'd suggest for those of us riding high miles, to always have a spare variator on hand when changing out the belt. Obviously the rollers and sliders get renewed at each belt, but the metal bits wear too.
when I checked my belt this week (see above) I also look at the variator - significant groove at outer (and inner). 19000km. probably replace it next year when it's done 25-30
⚠️ Last edited by SteelBytes on UTC; edited 1 time
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Over the winter, I plan on 'stashing' a new variator and clutch assembly as well..and a drive belt or two, of course. A handful of fresh rollers and sliders would look nice in the old tool chest drawer,candy they're cheap, so why not?

It definitely appears to me that the Achilles Heel of this machine is down there in that transmission case, but a little precautionary essential parts banking should minimize the risk of serious trouble.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
when I checked my belt this week (see above) I also look at the variator - significant groove at outer (and inner). 19000km. probably replace it next year when it's done 30
that about tracks. vario & 1/2 pulley every 15K-ish miles

every rider and machine are different because riding style and riding type play a role. the one constant is that worn components wear out new belts quicker-- 8K on new pulleys means 6K on worn stuff.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
that about tracks. vario & 1/2 pulley every 15K-ish miles

every rider and machine are different because riding style and riding type play a role. the one constant is that worn components wear out new belts quicker-- 8K on new pulleys means 6K on worn stuff.
"worn components wear out new belts quicker"

interesting.

PS, expect a new thread from me in a few months about oem vs malossi vs pollini and how much to change (vario half, outer half of drive pulley, rear pulley, ...)
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Madison Sully wrote:
Not obvious to me to change out the rollers and/or sliders at every belt change. Often the rollers have no flat spots to speak of, and the sliders haven't shown any signs of wear. Especially if you have Dr Pulley 'rollers' - they hardly wear at all.

I inspect the vario and driving pulley, but only order replacements when I can feel wear with a finger or fingernail.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:

interesting.

PS, expect a new thread from me in a few months about oem vs malossi vs pollini and how much to change (vario half, outer half of drive pulley, rear pulley, ...)
Personally, and it's just me, but I will almost certainly stick with OEM Vespa drive components when replacing worn parts.

I base this preference on my general philosophy of not messing with what seems to work well 'as it is', but I'm like that with just about everything I have, including my Triumph Rocket 3.

Saying that, I DO understand how some others might seek to improve their machine's performance, even if incrementally, as I expect it would be with a bike like the GTS300's.

I would definitely, however, be interested in your comparative findings on the components you mention, so will be looking for it.
@kshansen avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTV300 (wife's)

Molto Verboso
@kshansen avatar
GTV300 (wife's)
UTC quote
Guess I'm luck then as on my wife's 2013 GTV I was replacing the belt at around 8,000 miles since it was new. Last I looked it now has a bit over 28,000 mile on the scooter. I usually changed the sliders and rollers at the same time.

Most riding is highway miles. Belts never really looked bad just a bit polished on the edges.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
kshansen wrote:
Guess I'm luck then as on my wife's 2013 GTV I was replacing the belt at around 8,000 miles since it was new. Last I looked it now has a bit over 28,000 mile on the scooter. I usually changed the sliders and rollers at the same time.

Most riding is highway miles. Belts never really looked bad just a bit polished on the edges.
non HPE motors can push the belt a little further.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:

interesting.

aftermarket rollers wear much quicker. the vario & pulley wear is about the same as stock.

but, I tend to notice anything with performance parts on it seems to wear out everything quicker than stock, I suppose the correlation is that if you have performance parts fitted you're likely riding it harder than a stock bike.
⬆️    About 3 months elapsed    ⬇️
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
So if you want to stick with the OEM drive belt, no matter what, Mitsuboshi sells the same belt under their own name. The one Mitsuboshi sells directly is made in Japan.

https://scooterpartsco.com/main-category-c-801_4181_4187/oem-mitsuboshi-drive-belt-for-vespa-gts-and-gtv-p-37881.html
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0157s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]