OP
UTC

Et4 125

Et4 125
UTC quote
Hi chaps i have a vespa et4 with a headlight that look terrible inside is there a way to refurb, see pics ive managed to to remove the glass
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"
UTC quote
It's a sealed unit. It would be hard to get apart and then back together again without damaging it.

There's a Euro-light assembly that matches your light. Pricey, but nice!

https://www.scooterwest.com/vespa-et4-and-piaggio-lt150-xenon-euro-headlight-with-bulbs-294277-ia.html
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
Indeed, I think replacing it by a new one is the only option.

The coating on the reflector, the mirror, has disappeared to a large extend. You cannot repair that with paint or so, you need a vacuum coater for that and that is industrial equipment.

More close to home I found this option: https://www.easyparts.com/Headlamp%2C-Halogen_(Genuine-parts)-p33526014

I also have partly damaged reflector coating in my headlight.
The dealer told me in his experience this typically happens when you cover the headlight by a coat or so when the lamp is still on, or shortly after shutting down the engine.
It leads to overheating of the mirror coating. I do not know if it is true. I got my BV like that when I bought it second hand.
@tszarathusra avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.

Hooked
@tszarathusra avatar
Vespa C38 - S50 4T Super.
UTC quote
Taking it apart without breaking anything is the first hurdle.
Thorough cleaning is next.
Once that is done you can judge the real damage.
Like PeterCC says. To get real chrome like you usually require expensive tools. There is a real close imitation of mirror (and chrome) from "Alclad Shades" that can be applied with an airbrush. There are also stretchable mirror films for car wrapping that you might be able to use. Both are expensive materials and require talent with airbrushes and wrapping (respectively).
For less fancy but sometimes passable results you can go with silver spraypaint.
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
Right there in his post he states that he already has the glass removed. Sand the tar out of it with 220 grit, every nook, every cranny, sand it again. Wash it with soap and water, risnse and let dry. Pick up a quality metallic chrome spray paint, use multiple light coats, let them dry 15 minutes between. When you're happy with the coverage, stop and et it dry for a week, placing it in direct sunlight when possible. When you put it back together, be sure not to touch the freshly painted surface. Can you find LED bulbs to replace the stock bulbs? If so, I'd swap them. Will this last? Maybe, maybe not. If not, you're only out some time and 10 bucks or so.
OP
UTC

Et4 125

Et4 125
UTC quote
Thanks guys,I've already managed to pry the glass off after heating with a heat gun,I've ordered some spray paint so will let you know how it goes ,
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
If you decide to get a new one and don't want to pay the crazy price, Bosatta F297 is much clearer, with better optics, than the original Triom fixture. They are about as clear as glass. They can be found for about 25 of your quids, plus shipping from Italy, and there are a lot of them on Ebay.it and ebay.co.uk.
You can stick a Xenon bulb in it, and instantly triple the value.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0088s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0020s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]