@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC

Hooked
PX232, Super221, Rat PX200, Rally 221MHR

Hooked
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC quote
Hey ho!! So looking to put a SIP 2.0 speedo in my 72 Super, just wondering if anyone else on the forum has done it and how cluttered the headset area ends up being, also, whereabouts have you placed the black box? I've just done installing a MY98 on a PX and one of those new Tacho Karacho ones too which turned out pretty cool, I ended up mounting the black box in the horncast near the horn and made a return electrical lead going back into the headset... just sussing it out for the Super at this stage.
SIP 2.0 speedo
SIP 2.0 speedo
my Super with a PX200 and Polini top end
my Super with a PX200 and Polini top end
New SIP Tacho Karacho speedo
New SIP Tacho Karacho speedo
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
I have one in a VNA and the wiring inside the headset is a lot. Not much room but I made it work. Black box is under the tank.
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Done a friend's Rally. It's a bit of a PITA job but better than fitting a SIP speedo on a V50s. There's enough room, I zip tied the wiring in front of the speedo after I bolted it in place. Power box was installed in space wheel area connected to the regulator (no battery model)...
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Done a friend's Rally. It's a bit of a PITA job but better than fitting a SIP speedo on a V50s. There's enough room, I zip tied the wiring in front of the speedo after I bolted it in place. Power box was installed in space wheel area connected to the regulator (no battery model)...
Ahh, right!! That sounds like it'll work okay... I've got wiring for bar end indicators but that's only a few wires.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
There is WAY less space in a Super headset than a Rally, or a P, or a US Super.

I glued some velcro just in front of the speedo inside where the casting rises up. There's just enough space to get it in there. Also I found I had to change the plastic cable guide plate to metal as it stopped the speedo going down far enough.

Good to see you back in the Vespas Stuart!
OP
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:

I glued some velcro just in front of the speedo inside where the casting rises up. There's just enough space to get it in there. Also I found I had to change the plastic cable guide plate to metal as it stopped the speedo going down far enough.

Thanks Ginch. The Super project renewed my love again. It's a great scooter with the P2 lump in it.
UTC

Hooked
150 Super 1978

Hooked
150 Super 1978
UTC quote
There is an extension cable for the black box so you can put it under the tank.

There's simply not enough space in the headset even for the cables to tuck in especially if you have an external speed sensor instead of the traditional speedo worm.

Here's mine (sorry it's a screenshot from a video and some of the wiring/build is incomplete)

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

For me, the extension cable came readily with the speedo but it can be purchased separately:

https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/wire-kit-sip-between-black-box-speedo_50000210?usrc=Speedo%20black%20box
@scooterist avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E

Molto Verboso
@scooterist avatar
71' Sprint Veloce , 05' Vespa PX150, 1978 P200E
UTC quote
If you haven't purchased it yet I have one for sale that I never used.
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
Ginch wrote:

There's even less space under an Allstate VNA with the two piece split headset. Though mine is 90% wired up, i'm still not even sure if i can get the speedo unit to fit.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
There's even less space under an Allstate VNA with the two piece split headset. Though mine is 90% wired up, i'm still not even sure if i can get the speedo unit to fit.
The bunch of wires coming out in one spot don't help, that's for sure.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Will it be ready for Mooloolaabaaaaaa?
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
It'll fit. It's tight but it fits. Black box has to go under the tank though.
I pushed the wires into that back little channel in the back of the headset. I.E away from the headlight.

Then you just gotta be sure you push them down out of the way so they don't get pinched when you put the top back on.
OP
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
@stuarttiainen avatar
UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Will it be ready for Mooloolaabaaaaaa?
the scooter is all done and rides great... got a SIP 60mm crank to pop in there at some stage but for now it's fine. in terms of fitting the speedo, still undecided. i like the simplicity that comes with the old scooters so should i really mess with it??
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Here's some photo evidence of my wires
Cram them wires in the back!
Cram them wires in the back!
UTC

parallelogramerist

parallelogramerist
UTC quote
FridayMatinee wrote:
Here's some photo evidence of my wires
I suppose i'll just have to massage my wires until it fits then. I was entertaining the idea of 3d printing out a speedo spacer in order to gain some more clearance...something like 1/4" thick, but i'd be concerned that it would detract from the aesthetics of the whole headset.
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
I suppose i'll just have to massage my wires until it fits then. I was entertaining the idea of 3d printing out a speedo spacer in order to gain some more clearance...something like 1/4" thick, but i'd be concerned that it would detract from the aesthetics of the whole headset.
Go on... make it look Bodgy!

You could always just use a thick o-ring to test
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0140s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0029s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]