OP
UTC

Addicted
2022 Honda PCX 150A, 2018 GTS300 [sold] & 2015 GTS300 Super [sold]

Addicted
UTC quote
I'm considering driving my Honda PCX 150 from eastern Connecticut to Brooklyn, NY. Despite the small displacement, the PCX 150 tops out at about 65 mph. I drive it on CT highways all the time… It goes the speed LIMIT - the fastest, in theory, anyone should be going. Anyway, is anyone aware of laws that would prevent me from driving the PCX on the highways/interstates in New York (I-95, 278, etc.)? Does New York prohibit scooters below a certain displacement from using their highways? I'll be traveling 10-20 mph above the 45 mph minimum speed limit at all times, so I don't think it will be an issue… Thoughts?
@amateriat avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)

Ossessionato
@amateriat avatar
2015 GTS 300 Super (Melody: 2015-2021, RIP), 2022 GTS SuperTech (Thelonica; bit the dust 02-22-23)
UTC quote
Not certain about highways just outside Gotham, but legally speaking, you're probably okay within city limits. I will emphasize "legally", since my experience in certain roads within the five boroughs (FDR, BQE) tells me that while you won't often be needing to ride with that throttle WFO, you will want to accelerate fairly quickly. Also, road conditions count: I've encountered more than a few wheel-swallowing craters along both city streets and highways in my former Fair City. (Melody, aka GTS #1, eventually suffered a cracked injector housing as a result of hitting a Brooklyn pothole especially hard.)

So: I won't scream "don't do it!", but I will say proceed with caution.
Stranded, 2020: That pothole I hit in Brooklyn? The "hidden injury" to the bike didn't rear its inconvenient head until a few months later, while cruising the New Jersey Turnpike on the way into Gotham. Engine stopped dead. Not fun.
Stranded, 2020: That pothole I hit in Brooklyn? The "hidden injury" to the bike didn't rear its inconvenient head until a few months later, while cruising the New Jersey Turnpike on the way into Gotham. Engine stopped dead. Not fun.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
You are legal to ride on the highways with the 150 but it is really not safe to be on any part of a highway with a 65mph speed limit, even for one exit. I would strongly recommend staying on local roads and off I-95 and other highways until you are within a mile or two of a bridge crossing. The problem is not whether you, the scooter rider, can obey and maintain the traffic rules safely. The primary problem is that there are far too many reckless and impaired drivers operating at excessive speeds whose paths you simply cannot avoid. The secondary problem is that the roads are in poor condition and at max speed on a busy highway you cannot avoid obstacles. On my 150 I usually feel OK on the Merritt/Hutch, and crossing on the Triboro or Hudson bridges.
UTC

Hooked
BV250, BV500

Hooked
BV250, BV500
UTC quote
I disagree with that statement that the highways are more dangerous than city streets. In fact, it seems to be opposite. On streets the hazards come at you from all sides (driveways, cars coming out of parking spaces, people jaywalking, junk in the street, left turners cutting you off, etc.). On the highways the direction of attacks is more restricted. Of course it's very important to pay attention and expect bizarre behavior, but to me it's less frightening on a highway than on a city street. I ride around the San Francisco Bay Area, on streets and on highways, and I'll take the highway every time.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
wentwest wrote:
I disagree with that statement that the highways are more dangerous than city streets. In fact, it seems to be opposite.
Just to be clear, I didn't make my statement categorically, and in fact I agree with yours as long as an engine with the ability to keep and exceed the speed limit is involved. I made it with specific respect to the 150cc engine size, I-95, and most of the other highways and bridge crossings in the snarl that is the path between CT and Brooklyn.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
If it's a one off trip and you're able to set the time you travel, then I'd try and find a day with works traffic.

The difference in speed when behind a large commercial vehicle is huge. You don't have to be dangerously close in the slipstream, just be a normal distance away and it's very easy to travel long distances on busy roads.

The other benefit, is that the interpretation to other vehicles is that you're "stuck" behind the commercial vehicle, rather than you yourself are travelling slowly - so people don't tend to try and cut in dangerously. If they do overtake, they will pass both you and the commercial vehicle. A heavy vehicle also has a much longer stopping distance, so you can ride a bit more relaxed knowing there's a good chance the vehicle in front won't be making any sudden moves.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
The difference in speed when behind a large commercial vehicle is huge. You don't have to be dangerously close in the slipstream, just be a normal distance away and it's very easy to travel long distances on busy roads.

The other benefit, is that the interpretation to other vehicles is that you're "stuck" behind the commercial vehicle, rather than you yourself are travelling slowly - so people don't tend to try and cut in dangerously. If they do overtake, they will pass both you and the commercial vehicle. A heavy vehicle also has a much longer stopping distance, so you can ride a bit more relaxed knowing there's a good chance the vehicle in front won't be making any sudden moves.
Thanks everyone for you advice, knowledge, and suggestions. The trip is today (a Saturday) to attend a birthday party. My past experience with highway driving has been that riding behind an older, slow-moving tractor trailer reduces both the expectation of high speed and drivers cutting me off. However, those past long-distance scooter trips were on my GTS300 and on much less congested highways. My experience driving in/around New York City (in a car) is characterized by constant weaving traffic as exits come fast and furious and drivers need to get over to them quickly, lest they miss them. I think I-95 through Connecticut will be easy if I just stay in the right most lane behind a truck. The Merritt Parkway actually seems scarier - since no trucks are allowed on it, the other drivers' speed expectations are 75 mph and above. At 65 mph, I'll be holding everyone up and be passed constantly (it's two lanes) by Audis going 85 mph.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
Well, see what you think. I was responding from a 150cc standpoint. Embrace the essence of the incredibly versatile 150cc, and enjoy it for what it does well, not for what it does at the edges of its design.

I have a 460cc too and have concluded that riding on crowded highways over prolonged distances is simply no fun. But I will do it for half a trip if the other half is more scenic.

I would drive the car before I embrace cowering behind a truck as a deliberate riding strategy.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
Any updates? How did it go?
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Sorry for the delay in responding. My more intelligent, better-looking, and much wiser wife recommended I take the car. So, I took the car and was glad I did so, especially since it took me nearly four hours to get to western Brooklyn from northern Connecticut. It was dark and cold half-way into the trip. The ride back to Connecticut at 11 PM at 40 degrees (and dropping) would have sucked on the scooter, too. A summer daytrip to NYC on the scooter isn't out of the question, but I can't say I have ANY regrets on taking the car last weekend. Thanks again to all for your advice and merry Christmas.
@rocklanddad avatar
UTC

Hooked
VESPA GTS 300

Hooked
@rocklanddad avatar
VESPA GTS 300
UTC quote
I had an ET4 for many years and would use it all over NYC and on the roads in/out to get up to Rockland County…..no issues. I now have a GTS300 and of course notice the difference, but you will be fine should you choose to go there again. My only suggestion would be to stay away from night riding.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0125s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0044s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]