OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
Winter projects...

Both rims and drums look like that and are probably in worse shape than the pictures show.

So what are the pros and cons on repainting the original parts? Purchasing stuff will be more expensive and properly repainting them is a good possibility - I have repainted my car(s) rims couple of times and other mountain bikes stuff so I am comfortable that I'll do an acceptable job. Going that route, I'll repaint the stand too so it's all the same color.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate, 79 P200E, 66 Lammy S3

42 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
I repaint all those bits when I paint a scoot.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
I repaint all those bits when I paint a scoot.
Yeah that's the thing - I'm thinking I can't just repaint the rims, the hubs and break/suspension bits will stand out.

Repainting the body though, I don't know, I want to keep the original paint
UTC

Hooked
Rat 2003 Stella 2T; 1979 P125x (in pieces, out for paint)

Hooked
UTC quote
The hubs are easy to paint with a rattle can, since there is no rust to deal with. I just wash and scrub them with detergent, spray the crap out of them with brake parts cleaner, and so on. No one should be able to tell that they have been resprayed, it's easy to match the silver.

The rims are generally not worth it in my opinion, because the rust is hard to deal with. They are surely super-rusty inside too. Given how cheap split rims are, I would buy a new set. If I were going to repaint them, I would use a wire wheel on a drill to get the major rust off, then hit them with rust converter and then whatever color you wanted.
@ray8 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@ray8 avatar
UTC quote
yackee wrote:
The rims are generally not worth it in my opinion, because the rust is hard to deal with. They are surely super-rusty inside too. Given how cheap split rims are, I would buy a new set. If I were going to repaint them, I would use a wire wheel on a drill to get the major rust off, then hit them with rust converter and then whatever color you wanted.
If that bike's been sitting outside for long, the tires deflate and inside will be a rusty mess.
Tires look crusty(pic distortion?)!

Whatever is rattle-canned, go over it with clear 2k.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Y4QTVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
Ray8 wrote:
If that bike's been sitting outside for long, the tires deflate and inside will be a rusty mess.
Tires look crusty(pic distortion?)!

Whatever is rattle-canned, go over it with clear 2k.
The tires are crusty but the tubes, the original from 1980 don't leak air

This 2k stuff is expensive. One can = one new rim!
I've tried a few brands and this one is probably my favorite in terms of price and usability. I do 3-4 clear coats usually
Dupli-Color HWP103 Clear High Performance Wheel,Enamel,Acrylic Paint - 12 Oz. https://a.co/d/cItEFJy
@hec_in_omaha avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P125X US Spec

Hooked
@hec_in_omaha avatar
1980 P125X US Spec
UTC quote
I was lucky that my rims on my 1980 P125X were in great shape. I had them powder coated and they turned out great! They should last a long time now!

Hec
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
Hec In Omaha wrote:
I was lucky that my rims on my 1980 P125X were in great shape. I had them powder coated and they turned out great! They should last a long time now!

Hec
How much did you pay for that? If you don't mind me asking. I've had some items powder coated in the past and while I'm not sure my estimate is that it would cost me about $200 to get my 2 rims sandblasted and powder coated. The price of a brand new rim is about $40
@hec_in_omaha avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P125X US Spec

Hooked
@hec_in_omaha avatar
1980 P125X US Spec
UTC quote
npn wrote:
How much did you pay for that? If you don't mind me asking. I've had some items powder coated in the past and while I'm not sure my estimate is that it would cost me about $200 to get my 2 rims sandblasted and powder coated. The price of a brand new rim is about $40
Wow that's highway robbery! Wha? emoticon I paid $50 for all three rims! They aren't that big an item to powder coat!

Hec
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
New doesn't always mean better.

The top of the line split rims are very nice but spendy, however they're miles better than the $40 indo rims everybody sells.

If you're gonna buy new hoops why not splash the cash and get some tubeless with nice rubber. It's not that much more money and you have a built in safety factor.

Otherwise, go cheap and wire wheel em and blow some rustoleum down and call it done. Just expect to do it again in two seasons or so.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
Otherwise, go cheap and wire wheel em and blow some rustoleum down and call it done. Just expect to do it again in two seasons or so.
It's not about going cheap, it's about staying genuine or at least period correct.

It comes down to what you want and see your scoot being used for. My side hobby (now at risk of being overtaken by scoot hobby) is restoring mountain bikes as in bicycles, specially the old school US made or at least US trademark ones. Think late 80s early 90s. That's when front and rear suspension made it to bicycles and MTB was born. I'm sure you've heard of Trek, Klein, Specialized, GT, Schwinn, Marin ... But I'm talking about pre-china junk models.

I've come across genuine Zaskar frames and regardless of the conditions they were in, I refused "refurbish" them and sold them at high price just as they were. One had visible hammer marks as if someone wanted to prove that, contrary to what they are known for, it was not indestructible. Good and antique stuff keeps it's value and are more sought after if they are original.

Yeah I know, my 1980 Bajaj Barnfind is nothing special and it has very little value, but I believe I'll only bring it's value down by investing money in it.

Take a look at this frame - Gary Fisher Supercaliber.

Somebody left the bike for 20 years out in the Chicago weather. 1/4 of the paint is gone but the frame is excellent condition - prime candidate for repainting etc you might say. Nope. Now this one I turned into a retro-mod. Single cog in the front, 11 gears in the back, updated front suspension, large hydraulic disc brake in the front, knobby tubeless tires, large handlebars and who knows what else. At the end of the day, it's a serious one of a kind competitor of $10k carbonfiber bikes with core (the frame) that stood the test of time. If I had repainted the frame, it just wouldn't have been the same. I had an acquaintance of mine who races those $10k plus another $10k in upgrades bikes and this project of mine made him think...

All I'm saying is that I don't think my 1980 Bajaj is a good candidate for any upgrades and it's not about going the cheap route it's about, at least to me preserving it's original rarity.
@socalguy avatar
UTC

bodgemaster
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150

bodgemaster
@socalguy avatar
63 GL, 76 Super (x2), 74 Primavera (x2), 79 P200, 06 Fly 150
UTC quote
The rims on your scoot:
@hibbert avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa

Molto Verboso
@hibbert avatar
Vespa
UTC quote
I've never considered maintaining rims period correct always considered the integrity over originality before I got my Bajaj with rims stamped Bajaj. Yours look good to me.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
Yeah I know, my 1980 Bajaj Barnfind is nothing special and it has very little value, but I believe I'll only bring it's value down by investing money in it.
this is absolutely, positively the most insane thing I have ever read in my entire life.

If I saw a Bajaj with tubeless rims I'd think that the person who put it together had a little sense in their head and that upgrade would point to them probably doing other good work or at least well thought out upgrades for safety or reliability.

it's a Bajaj, they're cool bikes and all but the resale values are so far below comparable vespas that anything you do or replace that is not original is more likely to bring up the price than down. with these, period correct and original really doesn't apply or hold the same cachet as with other bikes.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
with these, period correct and original really doesn't apply or hold the same cachet as with other bikes.
Word. And it's a 1980 bike.

Wouldn't call that a rare vintage…
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
I think the old school Bajaj are cool as hell. Big glove box, funky speedo. I love them.

I also think tubeless tires are awesome on any vehicle you're going 60+ on.

And I think a Bajaj with tubeless rims would be a huge plus factor for this old machine.

Keep the original in a box for the puritan that wants to "restore" the scooter when you're no longer the owner.

Cause let's face it - we're only caretakers for our possessions. They're all going to end up in someone else's hands, or the trash heap in the future ...

My 2 cents... Razz emoticon
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
I view the split steel rims as something close to a wear item that it is natural to replace periodically as part of a normal "service" of the bike. You'd never keep using worn-out brake shoes in order to keep the bike "original", nor would refuse to replace your original crank-side bearing when it started to sound crunchy, or your fuel line or tires when they start to dry-rot.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
Who knew a thread on rims would get so many miles as a topic?!?

I have a different perspective...If we were talking Piaggio/Vespa: I think Piaggio rims, (generally speaking) are far better quality than most repops. (Excluding some tubless versions). So, if I had to choose between lightly crusty piaggio or FA Italia.... I'd clean up the Piaggio all day. FA Italia makes good rims, but they also make some stinkers. I suspect it's a QC issue. *shrug*

Anyway, if you want the shitbox vibe, I'd wire brush and steel wool the rusty areas inside and out, de-grease, apply rust converter and clearcoat the inside. Same on the outside, but I'd use owatrol on the rusty areas.

For hard to find rims. GS, SS, (and for shiny restos) I do the above but spray the inners and outers with a nice aluminum by Duplicolor. It's a great match to the OG vibe.

I'd have zero qualms about running repops on a bajaj. Time vs money. Your time is probably more valuable than the effort to save those bajaj rims.
2 cents
⚠️ Last edited by Birdsnest on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
Who knew a thread on rims would get so many miles as a topic?!?
Oh it's a question I've been meaning to write about for some time - to restore or not to restore! lol

My very first vintage-ish mountain bike I ever got was rare, really rare but nothing special. Out of sentimentality I kept it as original as possible. I bought it for $50 and added something like $100 at most to fix a thing or two. Sold it eventually after I lost interest and attachment for $650 on ebay, after I originally swore that I'll never ever sell it. I wonder if it's the case with this Baja scoot too
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
qascooter wrote:
Cause let's face it - we're only caretakers for our possessions. They're all going to end up in someone else's hands, or the trash heap in the future ...

My 2 cents... Razz emoticon
Well said. And don't get me started on this topic lol. I have about 20 vintage bicycles in my basement - some in tip-top shape some in the same shape they've been in the last 20-30 years. I've thought numerous time what will happen to them after I'm gone. For the longest time I thought I'd pass them onto my 2 kids after I label each one of them what they worth and what they actually are with some history to them... then I thought, is it worth it?

Few years ago I took my now ex wife's piece of jewelry that she inherited from her grandmother to a local jeweler for a repair. The guy goes, "this is nothing special, why do you want to spend money fixing it?" I told him how it's my wife's grandmother's and it's like 100 years old... and that I want to do something decent for her - her, my wife, who I divorced after she cheated on me years later... this older jeweler looks at me, and I can imagine now what he was thinking (you stupid young kid), goes inside the shop, comes back with a box full of gold jewelry all ready to be recycled, must've been 5-10lbs. He goes, "I see people like this all the time - they bring their grandmother's jewelry from WWII or something, sell it to me for pennies and go spend the cash next door on ice-cream or McDonald's" There's some sentimentality for you!
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
it's a Bajaj, they're cool bikes and all but the resale values are so far below comparable vespas that anything you do or replace that is not original is more likely to bring up the price than down. with these, period correct and original really doesn't apply or hold the same cachet as with other bikes.
Are you saying that a set of rims of unknown brand in excellent condition will even marginally improve the value compared to leaving the original rims with the "Bajaj" stamp on? I agree, it really means nothing, but I kind of can't see this being the case where adding expensive parts will improve the overall value.
@hec_in_omaha avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P125X US Spec

Hooked
@hec_in_omaha avatar
1980 P125X US Spec
UTC quote
Popcorn emoticon
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
npn wrote:
Are you saying that a set of rims of unknown brand in excellent condition will even marginally improve the value compared to leaving the original rims with the "Bajaj" stamp on? I agree, it really means nothing, but I kind of can't see this being the case where adding expensive parts will improve the overall value.
The salient point is, if you factor in labor and safety, repops are just a better value for money. There is not a market for OG bajaj scooters. Maybe one develops? (Doubtful.) But it is your time and if you think it's time we'll spent, go for it.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
Posters beat me to it... Was going add a PS - I am not against repops, at least in the context of rims. I did question one poster above cost related to powder coating used rims. What I'm against is converting to tubless rims.
@roland87 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'13 LML Star 200, '81 50 Special, '81 P 150 X, '87 PK 50 Nuova, '84 PK 50 S

Molto Verboso
@roland87 avatar
'13 LML Star 200, '81 50 Special, '81 P 150 X, '87 PK 50 Nuova, '84 PK 50 S
UTC quote
npn wrote:
What I'm against is converting to tubless rims.
In vain.
Not cheap but one of the best upgrades. When I put pair of SIP tubeless on my 50 Special it was absolutely night and day compared to almost new SIP split rims. Scooter felt much more lightly on the road, softer and something I can describe like low flying.
In the same time my P150X was in progress and for first time I was not even thinking about tubeless for it. But when I tried them... In the end I put tubeless on P too. But I'm almost don't have experience riding on it with split rims before.
After some time I was need to put split rims(straight, near perfect condition) on P.
It was terrible. Was very happy when 3 weeks later I finally can go back to tubeless.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
roland87 wrote:
In vain.
Not cheap but one of the best upgrades. When I put pair of SIP tubeless on my 50 Special it was absolutely night and day compared to almost new SIP split rims. Scooter felt much more lightly on the road, softer and something I can describe like low flying.
In the same time my P150X was in progress and for first time I was not even thinking about tubeless for it. But when I tried them... In the end I put tubeless on P too. But I'm almost don't have experience riding on it with split rims before.
After some time I was need to put split rims(straight, near perfect condition) on P.
It was terrible. Was very happy when 3 weeks later I finally can go back to tubeless.
It's winter here hence the unusual amount of posts (from me at least)

I am somewhat familiar with what you're describing. The energy from the engine on the rear wheel gets transferred almost directly onto the road with tubless, no question. The rims are probably alloy, not steel and with removing the extra weight of the inner tube you have much better performance. The front is kind of the same - the energy from the road (bump, friction etc) is more directly transferred to the steering mechanism and thus resulting in better handling. In both cases the tire has a more direct and better fit with the rim

I mean, there was a reason for why tubless tires were invented, I'm yet to be convinced that it's a good investment for the Bajaj. But even that is arguable - with growing Indian population, even more noticeable in the US, along with wealth, not that I'm planning to, but if I needed to...I'm certain I'll have a better chance of scoring a good return on my investment if I kept the scoot authentic

@Hec in Omaha, how's that popcorn tasting?
@hec_in_omaha avatar
UTC

Hooked
1980 P125X US Spec

Hooked
@hec_in_omaha avatar
1980 P125X US Spec
UTC quote
npn wrote:
@Hec in Omaha, how's that popcorn tasting?
Just sitting on the sidelines taking all this in! Lot's of good points made! Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass whether the rims on my scoot were original or not. What matters to me is that they are in good shape and safe.

In my case the original Piaggio rims were in excellent shape so I opted to refinish them. Had they been rusted out or bent I would have gone with tubeless rims to replace them. I consider this an upgrade over the originals. Having said all that, my builds are for me and not for some prospective buyer down the road. Just look at my Resto Mod project. If I ever wanted to sell it, I would hope a buyer would appreciate that the work done to it was performed properly and preserved or improved the integrity of the scoot. If your in the business of flipping scoots, then it's a business decision and that will impact what get's replaced and what's good enough as is.

To each their own.

Popcorn emoticon

Hec
UTC

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc

Molto Verboso
1958 Allstate 177VMC, 1962 Allstate, Yamaha Vino 70cc
UTC quote
The main benefit with tubeless is not having your tube explode and lose air all at once. Tubeless lets the air out slowly so you don't have a catastrophic crash with a flat.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
UTC quote
as soon as you said "good return on my investment" I knew this conversation wasn't for me. but, in respects of exploring the space...
npn wrote:
yes, sort of. Bajaj is not exactly known for build quality and I have my doubts those rims were even straight when new. but really, nobody goes looking at the rims when they buy a bike (unless they're something not stock).

my point was more of that new cheap rims are just as crap, or probably more crap than your OG rims. and if you're gonna spend the money buy the good split rims, and if you're that far in the tubeless aren't that much more and are a worthwhile investment that you will 100% get back out. anyway, if you don't see the value then just clean up paint what you got.

but I can tell you if I saw a Bajaj and was on the fence about parting with cash seeing tubeless rims would probably sway me more toward reaching for my wallet than walking away.
Quote:
I mean, there was a reason for why tubless tires were invented, I'm yet to be convinced that it's a good investment for the Bajaj. But even that is arguable - with growing Indian population, even more noticeable in the US, along with wealth, not that I'm planning to, but if I needed to...I'm certain I'll have a better chance of scoring a good return on my investment if I kept the scoot authentic
this is downright laughable. anybody from India is going to want a vespa, not a Bajaj; and anybody buying a Bajaj isn't going to care about authenticity. you're over here trying to predict things like orange juice futures. the one sure thing, the only absolute, bar none, is that scooters are a terrible investment. to even break even on what you've got into one means you're doing well, to expect a return on that is just a fools errand, especially on a bike such as this.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
greasy125 wrote:
as soon as you said "good return on my investment" I knew this conversation wasn't for me. but, in respects of exploring the space...
I appreciate your input but I have to say that you misunderstood me. See my post here https://modernvespa.com/forum/post2631197#2631197 and the one above about the jeweler.

As I said, my other hobby is restoring and (not so my these days) riding vintage mountain bikes. The passion/intensity/obsession is the same, so believe me, I understand you. At the same time though I'm passed the thought that I should invest blindly in this adventure without thinking about the possibility of a potential possible return in my investment. Because believe me, sooner or later we're all faced with the possibility of moving on.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
Sorry fellas, but people from India aren't gonna ride a Vespa (or a 2 stroke) no more.

Plastic cladded bikes won over there already… also landrovers and anything tata produces…

Yeah and return on investment with Vespas/lml/bajaj not gonna happen.

Unless you score a really good vintage Vespa for no money, expect to be in the losses.

Pre PX is where it's at, anything else is for giggles.

I can't speak on behalf of others, but owning it and having fun with it, buying parts to blow up (just ask chandler…) is worth the cost of admission.

Weirdly, it's not a market where you can flip bikes for decent money. It just doesn't work that way. That's probably why most folks have more than vespa in the garage.

Edit:
Just going through the other Bajaj thread, picked up for $500. Forgot about it. Yeah, don't think the rims will matter to prospective buyers.
UTC

Hooked
150 Super 1978

Hooked
150 Super 1978
UTC quote
Here's mine when I repainted it:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/097LRr0sqsMXqNeNcmH-yA32w

Just split the rims and put masking tape on the threads.

Strip down the factory coating to bare metal and sand the halves thoroughly with 240 grit. Then spray few coats of DTM epoxy primer and primer surfacer. Let them dry overnight and sand with 600 grit and spray groundcoat (if needed), basecoat and clearcoat.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
helike13 wrote:
Here's mine when I repainted it:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/097LRr0sqsMXqNeNcmH-yA32w

Just split the rims and put masking tape on the threads.

Strip down the factory coating to bare metal and sand the halves thoroughly with 240 grit. Then spray few coats of DTM epoxy primer and primer surfacer. Let them dry overnight and sand with 600 grit and spray groundcoat (if needed), basecoat and clearcoat.
Not bad!
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
Sometimes I restore crusty old stuff just for sport…just because I can,
Sometimes it's not worth the time, but I do it anyway. But I also have a blast cabinet, paint guns and an ok compressor.

Currently restoring a P200e. Restoring it won't add any measurable value to it. It's got no real vintage cred. I just like it.

I haven't gotten to the rims yet, but I will probably send them through the blast cabinet and shoot them with epoxy primer and single stage urethane. If I replace them with tubeless, the originals will go into the precious parts storage bunker.
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
V range 50s

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
V range 50s
UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
Sometimes I restore crusty old stuff just for sport…just because I can,
Sometimes it's not worth the time, but I do it anyway. But I also have a blast cabinet, paint guns and an ok compressor.

Currently restoring a P200e. Restoring it won't add any measurable value to it. It's got no real vintage cred. I just like it.

I haven't gotten to the rims yet, but I will probably send them through the blast cabinet and shoot them with epoxy primer and single stage urethane. If I replace them with tubeless, the originals will go into the precious parts storage bunker.
Doing it for the heck of it, or just for fun, I'm definitely with…
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Man...this thread certainly went in some unexpected directions...last time I posted, it was still about painting rims. So I gotta lotta catching up to do.

First off, as to whether or not these things have value...if you're talking cash value, then other than some of the pre-P series Vespa's, no, and mostly not even those, because their prices are already inflated so you're hoping for some sort of Dutch Tulip Craze to hit vintage Vespas while you're holding inventory and being able to dump your collection before the bubble bursts. That's not a strategy, that's a fantasy.

Instead, realize the value of two strokes in general is falling. They're being outlawed entirely in many city centers, which is where they really shine as transportation. And people who ride scooters don't want loud, smelly, and high-maintenance; they want quiet, clean, and "just works." Increasingly, they don't even want motorcycles or scooters; they want e-bikes. I don't make the rules, I just live by them.

So that being said...
108 wrote:
I can't speak on behalf of others, but owning it and having fun with it, buying parts to blow up (just ask chandler…) is worth the cost of admission.
This is the way. The journey is the point with these things. My journey involves pushing these things way past the original engineering expectations. Then pushing it home, buying replacement parts, and doing it again. It's expensive and arguably dumb, but it's what I like to do. Others like to restore them to look like they just rolled off the assembly line. Still others like to make them look *better* than when they rolled off the line. Whatever works, works.

Thus, I'm not going to tell anyone their destination is wrong so long as it's not unrealistic. There are rules to the economics, engineering and physics of these things that, again, I don't make, but we all just live by.

I respect and learn from others, especially those whose focus is areas that I don't normally put a lot of effort into. Hence, my initial participation in a thread about whether or not to paint rims. If I think about tires and rims at all, it's mostly which finish of SIP tubeless and the speed rating of the tires I'm going to put on them.

If you want to roll on OG Bajaj rims, knock your bad self out. If you want my opinion, I'll try to advise you on the best way to go about it so they're as safe as a tubed split rim can be. Understand the risks, then manage them as you see fit, hopefully without having to enter the "find out" portion of the risk management continuum.

So enjoy the journey, do it your way, but be realistic about it, because reality and pavement are both really hard when you run into them.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
If you want to roll on OG Bajaj rims, knock your bad self out. If you want my opinion, I'll try to advise you on the best way to go about it so they're as safe as a tubed split rim can be. Understand the risks, then manage them as you see fit, hopefully without having to enter the "find out" portion of the risk management continuum.

So enjoy the journey, do it your way, but be realistic about it, because reality and pavement are both really hard when you run into them.
OK, hypothetically, if I do decide to go tubless, what setup would you recommend? I have already bought new tires, and I don't know if I did it by mistake or not, but they are tubless lol "HEIDENAU K61 3.50-10 59J TL/TT reinforced"

I'm guessing these rims? https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/rim-sip-tubeless-20_81067100?usrc=3.50-10%20rim%20tubless

EDIT:
Chandlerman you should be in sales (if you're not already). So yes, I do like to go fast, I took the Bajaj to about 55mph with the old rusty rims and crusty tires. Crazy! When I split the front rim, I noticed that the inner tube has a patch so it was at some point "repaired". So if I'm to get new rims, the good ones (FA Italia) are still steel and cost about $45, I'd then need new inner tubes about $18 x 2 and at the end it appears that I save about $20 per wheel? (not sure how much mounting the tires will be) Yeah, it might be a no brainer, and I still will keep the original Bajaj rims and even the original tires.
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
npn wrote:
OK, hypothetically, if I do decide to go tubless, what setup would you recommend? I have already bought new tires, and I don't know if I did it by mistake or not, but they are tubless lol "HEIDENAU K61 3.50-10 59J TL/TT reinforced"

I'm guessing these rims? https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/rim-sip-tubeless-20_81067100?usrc=3.50-10%20rim%20tubless
Yup, those are the ones you want. The tires you want will fit them perfectly. I got mine mounted by a local shop for $20/each. The risk there is that a lot of places will scratch things up a little in the process because they're normally only doing industrial stuff on 10" wheels.

They take a 12mm socket rather than the standard 13mm, but are still M8. The bolts are actually structurally part of the attachment of the tire to the hub, so no risk of threads sawing the stud holes like on the Pinasco tubeless split rims. They're also the correct thickness (6mm vs. 8mm for the Pinasco's) at the stud, so you don't need to replace the hub studs.
npn wrote:
EDIT:
Chandlerman you should be in sales (if you're not already). So yes, I do like to go fast, I took the Bajaj to about 55mph with the old rusty rims and crusty tires. Crazy!
LOL! No, I'm not in sales, I'm in consulting, but I used to do a lot of (and still do some) "sales support," which means I spent a LOT of time with sales people, so maybe some of it rubbed off. Razz emoticon

The difference between tube and tubeless really kicks in at higher speeds. Combined with good suspension, 65-70 MPH will feel like 50 on the stock shocks, mounts & wheels, it just happens faster.

You might not get huge benefit with the inherent limits of the Bajaj's motor, but you'll still have the wheels for whatever speed machine comes after.
OP
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
Any ideas on how to acquire the rims (https://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/product/rim-sip-tubeless-20_81067100?usrc=3.50-10%20rim%20tubless) ?

Shipping from Germany is probably the best option but it adds hefty $50 to it. I don't think scooter mercato will order these for me, and still I'll have to pay $20-30 local shipping.
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
I think you have to be psychic to make any money from restoring and reselling an old vehicle. Pretty sure I would end up upside down on any of my projects.

As for originality…you never know. When I got my '73 VW Westfalia in 1990, they were not that special. Lots of people made fun of it. Now they sell for stupid money. I did some things in hindsight that I regretted, like getting decent OG paint resprayed, tossing out lots of stuff including the original low mileage engine case. It's a long dumb list. I've spent years reacquiring a lot of that stuff. One of the most coveted Westfalia items is a plastic yellow poo pail. I shit you not.

Still, I do these projects purely for enjoyment. If you put that first, you'll be fine. Btw, I think Bajaj's are really cool. A great crossover between the classics and the P's.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0304s ][ Queries: 7 (0.0050s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]