OP
UTC

Lurker
ET4 125cc, year 2000

Lurker
ET4 125cc, year 2000
UTC quote
Hi guys !
I am totally new to this forum and to owning Vespa as well.

I bought 2000 ET4 a month ago. It needed to be stared with the help of my car because of old battery. After I came home riding on it I kept starting every day just to see if there is problem with something else than old battery. After being on vacation and not starting the vespa for 14 days the battery was almost dead. I was able only to turn the lights on. I bought new battery, charged it, tried to start. It was doing normal starting sound but couldnt start (it is cold in the garage so not a biggie for vespa not to start after not moving for a bit) I tried to charge it a bit more and now with the new battery it acts totally dead. Lights are not working, starter not doing anything. Is there possibility I damaged the old cables while putting it in ? What else could be problem ? The baterry is fully charged ofc.

I would love some tips from all you experienced riders. I am in my 20s and I have no experiences. I am willing to try and learn everything about my dream bike.

Thank you
UTC

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"

Hooked
2001 ET4 "Mona"
UTC quote
Hey Strezo! Welcome to the forum. I have an ET4 but I'm not sure I have the expertise to diagnose your problem. But I guarantee that you'll get help because these folks are awesome.

You introduced yourself with some class, too.

This might help you:

https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Vespa/ET4/et4-wiringdiagram.jpg

Right off the bat I'd say check that battery fuse. And one thing with an ET4 is never assume your battery is new, even when you personally bring it home.
@greasy125 avatar
UTC

Sergeant at Arms
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas

Sergeant at Arms
@greasy125 avatar
Weird 80's Vespas & Cool Vintage Lambrettas
UTC quote
okay, first you need to establish that the battery-- even a new battery-- is in good condition. you'll need to have it load tested.

once you have a known good battery then you can carry on with your other tests.

it's possible that the leads (cables) may be damaged, a picture would help here. investigate the fuses, there are two directly next to the battery.

so, if you've got a good battery it should be turning over and starting without a problem. but, you still need to test the charging system. for this you'll need a multimeter, it doesn't need to be fancy or expensive a basic one will do.

with the key off, your battery should read 12.6v and when running at idle the voltage reading at the battery should be about 13.5v but no more than 14~14.5v

if any of these values are different then it is likely that there is an issue with the charging system-- either a component or the wiring itself.

TL;DR get a known good battery and test, then see where you're at.
@grahamlml avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 250 , Baotian 70cc rat scooter, Yamaha V50M 1979

Addicted
@grahamlml avatar
Vespa GTS 250 , Baotian 70cc rat scooter, Yamaha V50M 1979
UTC quote
Have the leads been put on the wrong way at anytime, either the battery or jump leads?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0137s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0052s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]