@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Good thing I have lots of wet-dry paper.

*puts on sanding clothes...*
Been following a guy on a bus forum who is good at everything repainting a bus. Sometimes it lays down like glass, sometimes like stucco. The humidity changes, the sunlight shifts to a certain spot, the wind picks up. Thankfully there is color sanding.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky
76 Sprint V, 63 GL, 62 VBB, 05 Stella, 66 Smallstate

134 Days Since Last Explosion

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Painting is so fickle.

And I feel like I can never "read" what's coming out of the gun timely, even with good lighting, I just have to wait until it's flashed and see.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
There is definitely a small window between dry and too wet. Having a clean dry air source really helps. The right pressure coincides with the paint volume setting just like the jetting on the SI carbs. Change one the other needs adjusting too. More paint=higher pressure and work faster. I prefer a medium pace. Orwell is right, different conditions require different settings. I really notice a difference in temps and using the correct speed reducer. Lower air temps and slower reducer always gives you more orange peel, forever drying times and solvent popping later on. I have to use a flashlight while painting to double check my work. PITA!
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
There is definitely a small window between dry and too wet. Having a clean dry air source really helps. The right pressure coincides with the paint volume setting just like the jetting on the SI carbs. Change one the other needs adjusting too. More paint=higher pressure and work faster. I prefer a medium pace. Orwell is right, different conditions require different settings. I really notice a difference in temps and using the correct speed reducer. Lower air temps and slower reducer always gives you more orange peel, forever drying times and solvent popping later on. I have to use a flashlight while painting to double check my work. PITA!
I installed a gazillion led ballast lamps in my paint booth and still ended up using a flashlight to contrast each pass on spots where it's harder to see. With a pancake compressor, I have to pause from time to time to to let the compressor catch up or trigger air only on the gun so I don't get a burst of paint when starting a pass. Pattern is adjusted to average air output and I'm sometimes going a little faster or slower to compensate.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
I installed a gazillion led ballast lamps in my paint booth and still ended up using a flashlight to contrast each pass on spots where it's harder to see. With a pancake compressor, I have to pause from time to time to to let the compressor catch up or trigger air only on the gun so I don't get a burst of paint when starting a pass. Pattern is adjusted to average air output and I'm sometimes going a little faster or slower to compensate.
I don't know how you guys can use those little compressors! That would drive me nuts and I would end up killing it with a death blade.🤣 We need to start a painting thread with everyone's experiences, tips and tricks! Lots of talented people on this forum.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
There actually is a great "how to paint" thread. I'll dig out the link when I'm not on my phone.

I hate the pancake compressor, and every time I paint, I swear I'll get a real compressor "before next time."

Taking all that into account, though, I got after it with the wet sanding today and got everything but the gas tank sanded and polished. There's a few spots I may go back and revisit, but nothing I can't easily get to with the bike assembled.

I also painted the fork with year-old Summit Racing black. I think it went on as well as any paint I've ever shot. Lots of little reasons, like better temps outside, having fast activator for 68f,new gun, etc. some days you just get lucky.

I decided after the fact that I want to paint the front (and maybe rear, since I'm going to be doing) hub black, so I'll have to pull it out of the disc setup and do that.

All in all, though, lots of tangible progress this weekend.

I also managed to cut my head open pretty good at some point. I came in the house and the first thing my wife said to me was, "You know you have blood running all down your face, right?" Worst part is that I actually didn't.

Anyways, next up is legshield trim, floor rails, running cables, and fabricating the wiring harness.

Hopefully not much waiting for parts, but I will probably discover I need to order something next time I set foot in the workshop just for saying that.
I like it
I like it
Nothing to do now but put it back together
Nothing to do now but put it back together
Why couldn't my frame look like that??????
Why couldn't my frame look like that??????
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
Bare with me I just had a stiff cocktail after working on my wide frame engine. I want to KILL your air compressor! Look how some spots are nice, glossy and smooth. Then there is a couple of fish eyes and not so much orange peel but like thick paint with pull back. Don't know if you're rocking any filters but could possibly have moisture in your air supply and fluctuating air pressures? I think if you had clean air and steady pressure you'd be golden and save time and money on sandpaper and buffing compound. Seriously you might be limiting yourself with that compressor. Even after 21 years of painting I'm always bird dogging our painter at work and his jobs to get better and save myself money. Like I said before, you have the skills my friend! P.S. Love how your paint changes color in different lighting.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Good man, C. Scoot looks the business and gonna shine cool terrorizing the local burbs streets.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Rob, here's the paint how to thread.

I have an inline moisture trap on my air line for my gun, plus painting when I was trying to filter my air out into air that was barely above freezing.

I'll definitely be upgrading my compressor and investigating options for improving my filtration before the next paint project, but I only seem to do about one per year, so it may be a little while.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
How the F did I miss that thread? It should be in constant rotation towards the top but I understand how things get put on personal threads. I wish you and Orwell could spend a day with me in our paint booth just to rule out perfect air and shoot the same paint with different guns. I'm all about using affordable paint but I'm soooo lazy that I spend more to do less work. My best painting temps are between 75 and 85 degrees in the booth. Guess I'm just used to that. I really don't need to touch my cowls and mud guard on my GS but the tank, headset and little bits were shot cold and had a little peel in them. You are a take the bull by the horns kind of guy and Orwell is more methodical and takes his time but it seems the compressor and temps are the only hold backs. You guys rock! Looking forward to seeing you at ROM. By the way, when I use single stage I use PPG Omni MTX. don't know what colors they have in that cause I'm usually only shooting black but is easy to shoot and very durable.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Dude...I'd love to spend a day with people who know what they're doing. I now know enough to actually soak of up some knowledge and get real benefit from it. I know my air supply is pretty craptastic, and it will be the next upgrade before whatever the next paint project is. I also have some good filtration ideas, too.

I'm right there with you that I'm fundamentally lazy, especially that I'll spend some money to save time, but sometimes there are tradoff's. I also like seeing what I can manage without having to go all-in on equipment, which leads to some inefficiency until I decide what to spend money on.

Still, it's all good.

Looking forward to seeing you at ROM. Last year was a blast and I fully expect this year to be even better.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
Don't pay any attention to the guy behind the curtain! I'm the same as you. Believe it or not I've been involved in more mishaps than you. Just sharing what I've already done. Keep Impressing me, you're an innovator!
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC 09C VMA VSX - vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
It really is a cool color. Dig it.
Quote:
I'm fundamentally lazy
...you need to come work with me for a day.
There is a very good chance I will talk about doing something, look for parts...look for a tool I know was right there ---->! Sip some coffee, and then say, "Meh, lets go ride."
________
Also:
Quote:
I'm fundamentally lazy
... and I don't wanna search for it.

What compressor are you using?
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Dude...I'd love to spend a day with people who know what they're doing. I now know enough to actually soak of up some knowledge and get real benefit from it. I know my air supply is pretty craptastic, and it will be the next upgrade before whatever the next paint project is. I also have some good filtration ideas, too.

I'm right there with you that I'm fundamentally lazy, especially that I'll spend some money to save time, but sometimes there are tradoff's. I also like seeing what I can manage without having to go all-in on equipment, which leads to some inefficiency until I decide what to spend money on.

Still, it's all good.

Looking forward to seeing you at ROM. Last year was a blast and I fully expect this year to be even better.
Me too. I am my own VW/Vespa/flight sim hermit nerd kingdom.

I can't blame my equipment for the problems I had. My first try was with a much bigger compressor and a decent gun. All the issues I had were directly related to set up and technique. I made changes to both and my technique improved with practice.

I would be happy to continue this conversation in the paint thread. I have some questions too about decals, painting stripes etc. A lot of what I learned from painting is Vespa-centric as it is a lot different than painting a car.
@poidog avatar
UTC

Drama Free
79p200e 66smallstate 85pk50xl 84p125ets 63GL

Drama Free
@poidog avatar
79p200e 66smallstate 85pk50xl 84p125ets 63GL
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Dude...I'd love to spend a day with people who know what they're doing. I now know enough to actually soak of up some knowledge and get real benefit from it.
With utmost respect, Hat tip to you CM for the sheer amount of a learning curve you are letting us all partake in vicariously on your BooBadge (SmallSpook) revamp, up-tune, repaint and rebuild!

That build is going to be TIGHT!
'it may be blue, but it's the bomb'
'it may be blue, but it's the bomb'
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
poidog wrote:
With utmost respect, Hat tip to you CM for the sheer amount of a learning curve you are letting us all partake in vicariously on your BooBadge (SmallSpook) revamp, up-tune, repaint and rebuild!

That build is going to be TIGHT!
Thanks, dude!

It's been a fun journey thus far, despite the numerous unexpected detours. I have a few new tricks up my sleeve (CM2 had a GREAT suggestion on the wiring harness I'm excited to try out) that I think people will like, and since the motor is ready to go other than an oil change and a good cleaning, that'll also shorten the turnaround time considerably.

April 18th is my drop dead date. Even losing a couple weekends for ROM and going down to Dallas this weekend, I think I'll hit the date pretty easily.
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
74 Super, 75 Super, PX project, LML off-roader and '66 Blue Badge Smallframe

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
April 18th is my drop dead date.
58 days until next explosion? I hope not.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Ginch wrote:
58 days until next explosion? I hope not.
Just so we're clear here...are you wanting more or fewer days?
@ginch avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@ginch avatar
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
Just so we're clear here...are you wanting more or fewer days?
I'm not sure if it was you who once said "give me a quick smallframe with a pretty good paint job, or give me death"?
I'm just hoping nobody needs to drop dead, especially in April.
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
Don't forget the mudguard ornament.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
Don't forget the mudguard ornament.
That's only for special occasions.
@qascooter avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)

Ossessionato
@qascooter avatar
79 P200E (Ruby), 62 Allstate (B-62)
UTC quote
Ohhh, maybe two yellow and a red strip in between and down the left leg shield, or that configuration on the cowls - to tie in the hat of course Razz emoticon
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
qascooter wrote:
Ohhh, maybe two yellow and a red strip in between and down the left leg shield, or that configuration on the cowls - to tie in the hat of course Razz emoticon
If I keep listening to y'all, this really will be a themed scoot.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Tonight I had a little workshop time and Plan A was to do the legshield trim and floor rail rivets.

Looking at the paint, though, I decided I wasn't happy with the amount of orange peel remaining, so it turned into another night of wet sanding and polishing. Results are good, even if I broke through to primer a couple spots that will now have to be touched up.

As an experiment, I did one half of the headset with 1000 grit and the other half with 1000, 2000, then 3000 before compound and polish to see if the difference was noticeable. Somewhat to my surprise, it actually was.

Of course, that meant that I had to do 2000 and 3000 everywhere I sanded, but the results were mostly worth it.

I went as far as snapping the legshield trim into place (fitting before paint made all the difference), then declared victory for the evening.

(I uploaded the wrong picture of 3000 vs 1000, so I had to re-upload, meaning they're out of order)
after sanding.  Left side got 3000, right only 1000
after sanding. Left side got 3000, right only 1000
after re-doing the right with 2000 and 3000.  Crisp reflections now
after re-doing the right with 2000 and 3000. Crisp reflections now
ready for the next workshop session!
ready for the next workshop session!
The two-tone is gonna be hawt
The two-tone is gonna be hawt
crisp reflections left, hazy right
crisp reflections left, hazy right
@sdjohn avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@sdjohn avatar
'15 GTS300, '86 PX125EFL, '66 VBB, '01 ET4
UTC quote
to actually see the detail, i had to load image in new frame to get a big version, but I see what you're on about - it does make a difference, just harder to see in the smaller version that loads automatically
@charlieman22 avatar
UTC

Nedminder
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar

Nedminder
@charlieman22 avatar
62 VBB1T Round Tail W/ leaner sidecar
UTC quote
Really coming along.
This is gonna be your prize scoot.

In the 70's, that cereal came with a glow in the dark booberry.
To charge - it required light.
Logic said: I can get a better charge if I put it right on the lamp bulb!
Those lamps being incandescent - they were a lil warm.

Seeing your logo - I can smell the scent of molten booberry glow in the dark figures.
Side note (to my side note): you could cut them up and put them on top of your AFX slot cars and run them at night.
🙂

Lot'sa nostalgia being generated with your build.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
UTC quote
You're doing the hubs black. Are you going to hit the wheels with the black too? Your blue shines up nice.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
charlieman22 wrote:
Really coming along.
This is gonna be your prize scoot.
I hope so, but the paint is going to be more 20-from-20 than 5-from-5. Still, I think it's already coming together nicely, and it has barely started coming together.

Also, I forgot about the horn in my wiring design, but I don't think that will be an issue. It'll just get its own pair up to the headset.
charlieman22 wrote:
In the 70's, that cereal came with a glow in the dark booberry.
To charge - it required light.
Logic said: I can get a better charge if I put it right on the lamp bulb!
Those lamps being incandescent - they were a lil warm.
Been there. Done that. Maybe not with Boo-Berry, but I definitely recall having something that glowed in the dark with a lightbulb-shaped divot in its head.
charlieman22 wrote:
Seeing your logo - I can smell the scent of molten booberry glow in the dark figures.
Side note (to my side note): you could cut them up and put them on top of your AFX slot cars and run them at night.
🙂
So this, but with Boo-Berry? You ANIMAL! ROFL emoticon

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I had cars that glowed in the dark for mine, plus the stickers you put on the track for lane markers.

*Surfs nostalgia wave*
BajaRob wrote:
You're doing the hubs black. Are you going to hit the wheels with the black too? Your blue shines up nice.
The wheels are already black powdercoat (SIP tubeless rims), albeit a little dinged up. I may touch up the scuffs with black paint just to start out pretty.
@orwell84 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@orwell84 avatar
UTC quote
That last round of buffing really sharpened it up. I'm liking the color more and more and it really pops with the trim.

Booberry is a vaguely unwholesome looking character. He looks like he is on a bender and has a tendency to get handsy. Booberry says, It's time for another liquor store run.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
UTC quote
That color is bootiful.
(I'll see myself out.)
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
orwell84 wrote:
That last round of buffing really sharpened it up. I'm liking the color more and more and it really pops with the trim.
Agreed!
orwell84 wrote:
Booberry is a vaguely unwholesome looking character. He looks like he is on a bender and has a tendency to get handsy. Booberry says, It's time for another liquor store run.
Other than the handsy part (my Momma didn't raise no assholes like that!), I'm fine with that. Razz emoticon
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
That color is bootiful.
(I'll see myself out.)
Laughing emoticon Facepalm emoticon
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
Another night, another round of progress.

Somehow, "I'm going to install the legshield trim and floor rails" turned into, "I'm going to assemble the fork and replace the fork bearing races, among other things."

I used a bearing puller on a slide hammer to get the top race out. 30mm puller and three pulls of the hammer and it popped right out. The lower race was a little trickier, but I fabricated a tool by welding a small piece of 1/8" flat iron to the end of some 1/2" steel rod and shaping it to fit into the gap. Another three hammer blows and it popped right out.

New races went in by hammering with bearing punches. Seated quite nicely. Then, I installed the fork for a test fit and it is all just lovely.

Total time for all that, including making the tool, was maybe half an hour.

I also ran the core of my wiring harness, prepped the brake pedal for installation, and started sorting out the electrical.

A good night in the workshop.
forkin' winning
forkin' winning
business end of the lower fork race remover
business end of the lower fork race remover
fancy beveled bearings
fancy beveled bearings
celebratory dry fit.  I'm not sure if I'm going to go with black or the traditional aluminum fender crest yet.  Probably the OG style, maybe painted black.  So many decisions!
celebratory dry fit. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with black or the traditional aluminum fender crest yet. Probably the OG style, maybe painted black. So many decisions!
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX 200

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
PX 200
UTC quote
OG fender crest, black or silver would be good.
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
108 wrote:
OG fender crest, black or silver would be good.
That was my instinct, too. I'll wait until things are further along to decide on color. It'll probably stay silver since the legshield trim will also be silver.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos

Molto Verboso
'07 GTS250, '07 LX150, '81 P200E, '78 P200E, '64 V90 and 3 Ciaos
UTC quote
OG crest, black oxide finish?
OP
@chandlerman avatar
UTC

Lucky

Lucky
@chandlerman avatar

UTC quote
az_slynch wrote:
OG crest, black oxide finish?
I can already tell I'm going to need to order a second OG crest so I can compare them once it's time to commit. It'll be like the eye doctor: "Which one is better? Number Silver? *flip* Number Black? *flip* Silver? *flip* Black?"
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX 200

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
PX 200
UTC quote
chandlerman wrote:
That was my instinct, too. I'll wait until things are further along to decide on color. It'll probably stay silver since the legshield trim will also be silver.
Silver definitely looks good!!

Yeah sound familiar, just buy 2!
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
What's the point of having an anti-dive bracket with the shock in its original position??
@108 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX 200

Ossessionato
@108 avatar
PX 200
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
What's the point of having an anti-dive bracket with the shock in its original position??
Because you've lost the stock one?
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0541s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0152s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]