@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
when I bought this little Murray single stage snow thrower sometime between fifteen and seventeen years ago, I can't recall exactly when.

I dragged it out of the backyard shed about a month ago when I put the lawnmower in, and parked it in the garage in anticipation of the upcoming snow.

It hasn't been started since perhaps last April, and has sat with old gas premix in it since. It's a two-stroke, all 'on' or all 'off', no variable throttle.

So, it finally dumped some measurable snow on us over the past several days in what was a mini-blizzard in our part of the state (though much worse to the east of us) with 50-60 mph winds and relentless but overall light snow.

I reluctantly went out this morning, gave the blower's motor about twenty pushes on the priming bulb 'button', slowly pulled the engine through a couple of times with the rope starter, shoved the choke lever to the right, turned it's ignition key on, and on the third pull it fired to life as if it had been running just yesterday, nasty old gas and all.

I bought the little blower years ago after we had been having a series of medium to heavy snow 'events'. It's overwhelmed by much over 8-10 inches of snow, and not good at all if the snow is slushy, plugging up easily, but for probably 80% of our snow here, it excellent to adequate, and if it's seriously deep, my neighbors on either side of me each have super-heavy duty, self-propelled, two-stage snow throwers to rescue us if needed.

For the most part, I stopped shoveling snow a long time ago, and except for very light snow 'pushing' and snow removal 'trim work' that the thrower can't reach, I just won't do it.

No, it doesn't possess an ounce of the panache, style, nor visual grace of my Vespa GTS300, but it works it's little guts out for me when called upon, and may literally be a life-saver under certain circumstances, a true unsung hero among the pampered vehicular exotica occupying our garage....and backyard shed, as it happens.

In the early winter of 1977, back in Minnesota, my dad, only 57 years old, went out to try to dig a stuck car out of a snowfall from the night before, and he never came back. Heavy snow, and that shovel, killed him. Things like that leave a lasting impression on a person

Look at that little bugger go!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
I love my gas snowblower too. I had long resisted adding internal combustion engines to my list of home maintenance items - I already had an impossibly old boat engine in my impossibly old sailboat that was more than enough. I got by for many years with a corded electric Toro snowblower, which wildly exceeded expectations in the NYC suburbs. But ten years ago we got so much snow that the Toro had put it everywhere it could, and the forecast for the next two weeks was for continuing cold and more snow. I had to pay up for a late-season gas single-stage model, nothing special, but gosh does that thing make mincemeat out of our kind of snow. Chinese 212cc engine, electric start when desired, and QUITE satisfactory. My occasional efforts on neighbors' driveways consistently net me grateful beer and bourbon for the holidays - though not this year, as the snowblower didn't get used once last season.

The home internal combustion engine dam having thus been broken, I then upgraded the electric power washer with a gas version (incredible), added a portable generator that also runs on natural gas (fun), and now also have three scooters. Only one fuel injector in the bunch, and no carb issues, thanks to constant use of StaBil.

Had it not been for the multiple blizzards of January and February '14, I'd probably be on a knitting website right now.
@birdsnest avatar
UTC

Not So Moderator
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb

Not So Moderator
@birdsnest avatar
VNB VSC VMA VSX - o9c vbc vmb
UTC quote
Quote:
The best $300 bucks I ever spent was.......
hookers...
vegas...
*ahem*

I kid, I kid...

Hey, maybe clean that carb before you need that blower again? If that old gas had ethanol in it there's a good chance it will gum up the works with the precipitate that got moved around this morning.
OP
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
Birdsnest wrote:
hookers...
vegas...
*ahem*

I kid, I kid...

Hey, maybe clean that carb before you need that blower again? If that old gas had ethanol in it there's a good chance it will gum up the works with the precipitate that got moved around this morning.
It's definitely a carb'd engine, but I put non-ethanol premium in it, pre-mixed with a 50/1 oil/gas ratio.

I've never cleaned the carb since new over fifteen years ago. The ONLY thing I've done to this in the way of maintenance was to put a new spark plug in it a couple years ago.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
JBlacklund,

Sorry about your Dad. We refer to it here as killer snow. Something about lifting up the snow with the shovel and throwing it at shoulder height - kills the heart.

I do have a super large Snow Blower. Despite this, I have given up the ghost on all these outside yard driveway activities years ago. I am lucky to have two young men (13 and 15 years old) that live next door and love working for money. They mow my lawn weekly ($25 for 40 minutes), Paint my Fence and stain my deck ($600 for the fence - huge job - took a week), Stained the deck $100 (Took 2 hours), shovel my driveway and sidewalk ($30 a snow fall no matter how slight). They also clean the leaves out of my gutters, rake my leaves, trim lawn and bushes.

Sadly, or maybe smart - their mother "Lisa" makes them save all their money.

This keeps me alive and a source of cash for these great kids.

Bob Copeland
Life is good at the Copeland Casa.  Yes, that driveway is a big bunch of shoveling.
Life is good at the Copeland Casa. Yes, that driveway is a big bunch of shoveling.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350
UTC quote
Saw your title and thought, oh, FFS, what now, did he buy a sousaphone ?? Laughing emoticon
JBacklund wrote:
when I bought this little Murray single stage snow thrower sometime between fifteen and seventeen years ago, I can't recall exactly when.
I had one of almost the same vintage for my office. Got it from a cousin used, who did small engine repairs. That little guy could go! Deep snow was it's nemesis, but you could almost throw it at a snowbank and it would chew on it!

Bob, remember when kids would bang on your door and offer to shovel your walk for 50 cents? Where did they go? Oh, wait, that was our generation.
@syd avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)

Ossessionato
@syd avatar
GTS300 Super (Heinz) GTS250 Super (Bulger)
UTC quote
A 1960 Karmann Ghia. Oxidized BRG, with a stylyzed frog painted on the 'hood'. 300 Frogskins behind the windshield. I bought that car and put 10,000miles on it in a year or two. Crossed the country twice. You could pass your hand between the driver side window and the window frame. Only the outside heater on the driver side worked. There was a wiper for the rear window, with a hand crank through the roof. The seats were soo comfy. It would start on its own about 30% of the time, so it was best to park on a hill. If you jumped the Ghia with a new-at-the-time-car (1970s), the starter would spin like a top.

I loved that car, but sold it to a friend for 300 frogskins, and ended up with a newer, 1969 Ghia.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
the best $300 I ever spent?

well there was the time when I lived in holland I went to the local boats for a 30 min rental, oh wait that was less than $300

I did rental a honda XL250 when I was in the PI for a weekend and went to the mountains , found some locals who took us to a double pool swimming hole and sourced us a couple cases of san miguel, ah crap that was less than $300 too.

probably the closest would have been the ski week I spent at Hitlers eagles nest. I think that was just a bit over though but not by much.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0136s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0061s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]