OP
UTC

2007 mp3

2007 mp3
UTC quote
Good morning fellow scooter buffs! First thank you for this forum and allowing me to join. I'm no stranger to scooters/motorcycles, but I've never delt with something like this. I just purched a 2007 mp3 250ie, and am apprehensive to say the least, I have riding and control issues but I'll save those for another time. Right now I'm kind of stranded and at a loss. While riding last night I hit a dip in the freeway and the scooter shut down briefly then started running again, long story short, that problem turned out to be really loose battery cables. So after tightening them, the scooter started fine and purred like a kitten, everything worked until I tried to accelerate! Every time I give it gas, it doesn't Rev, it blubbers a couple times then dies. It'll fire right up and idle perfectly, but will not move, Rev up or accelerate. I'm at a motel and have a very limited time before I have to push this thing outta here and I'm partially crippled! Any help suggestions and/or advise would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
That sounds very similar to what happens if you try to start with a key that isn't programmed into the ECU. It'll rev to 2000rpm but no more.

Did you get the master key as well as the service key when you bought this? You need the master key to program the ECU.
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
Quote:
While riding last night I hit a dip in the freeway
Quote:
That sounds very similar to what happens if you try to start with a key that isn't programmed into the ECU.
I presume the scooter was running more or less normally before the dip in the freeway was hit. Wouldn't the rider have noticed slow speed caused by an unprogrammed key before getting on the freeway?

Isn't there a switch and rev limiter built into the seat of an MP3?
OP
UTC

2007 mp3

2007 mp3
UTC quote
Thank you both for the reply, yes I have the original keys and it was running fine even after the freeway dip. It's when I parked for a bit and went to move it that I discovered the problem, I was thinking maybe a fuse due to power surge but frankly I know knowing about fuel injection and its acting almost like an accelerator pump or something. Perfect idol absolutely no Rev, not even 2000 rpm, it won't even Rev to 1000 rpm.
OP
UTC

2007 mp3

2007 mp3
UTC quote
Is it easy to reprogram the ecu with the key, maybe the short on the loose terminals scrambled it or something, idk, this has a very high frustration level, it was fine then it wasn't, no warning, just done!
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 mp3

Enthusiast
2009 mp3
UTC quote
Sounds suspiciously like the under seat switch. There is a plug and socket under the front of the seat which may have gone open circuit.
OP
UTC

2007 mp3

2007 mp3
UTC quote
oldgoat wrote:
Sounds suspiciously like the under seat switch. There is a plug and socket under the front of the seat which may have gone open circuit.
Thank you sir for your input,
I'm going to check it now, is that a circuit breaker type switch or something I'm going to have to replace?
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC quote
From what I understand about the switch, it's a momentary-contact type. It's there to prevent the MP3 from running away without the rider seated! It may have come disconnected when you hit the bump.
OP
UTC

2007 mp3

2007 mp3
UTC quote
JKJ-FZ6 wrote:
From what I understand about the switch, it's a momentary-contact type. It's there to prevent the MP3 from running away without the rider seated! It may have come disconnected when you hit the bump.
Thank you, I just checked the connection, its still together, I tried unplugging it and start with the same result. Im about an hour and twentyin. Away from being screwed here, and I greatly appreciate all your help, thanks. Idk what to do but I gotta do something!
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 mp3

Enthusiast
2009 mp3
UTC quote
Another thought. The last time mine did that it turned out to be a faulty fuel injector. Not something you can fix by the side of the road probably time to load it on a trailer.
@dariusz avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 MP3 250ie / 2022 MP3 500HPE SA

Hooked
@dariusz avatar
2007 MP3 250ie / 2022 MP3 500HPE SA
UTC quote
Newbie2023 wrote:
Thank you, I just checked the connection, its still together, I tried unplugging it and start with the same result. Im about an hour and twentyin. Away from being screwed here, and I greatly appreciate all your help, thanks. Idk what to do but I gotta do something!
For me sounds that is the seat switch.

If you unplug the result is as you are not seat on the seat and the ECU don't allow the MP3 rev, so maybe unplug and try a small jumper between both cables in the connector (close the circuit so the ECU things someone is on the seat), if the MP3 starts and rev, then your problem is the seat switch, if not I try to do the same jumper thing more close to the ECU because is possible the cable is broken in some part?

Other is, do you see a red light in the dashboard? it shows as the seat is "empty" (no driver, and this the reason for the switch)
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Have you tried the double-click to the right of the manual tilt-lock switch? That will bypass the requirement for someone to be sitting on the seat - but beware, the tilt-lock will unlock, so have the scooter on the centre-stand!
@spdtwn avatar
UTC

Hooked
MP3 250 & Sei Giorni 300 HPE

Hooked
@spdtwn avatar
MP3 250 & Sei Giorni 300 HPE
UTC quote
What Jim has just said. It's alien to 'normal' bike operation and freaked me out at first.
OP
UTC

2007 mp3

2007 mp3
UTC quote
Gentlemen I sincerely thank you all for the input and ideas. I actually fixed it by accident! This whole time its been on the center stand with what I thought was and unlocked front end, my reason for thinking this even though the light was solid and that annoying buzzer wouldn't shut up, is because I could still turn the wheels. I thought when it was locked they wouldn't turn! Anyway, I had to move it so I was gonna push it, brought it off the stand turned the ignition and hit the lockout switch so i could move it and promptly gell on my ass when the front end unlocked! After getting help to pick my fat ass up I started it again and twisted the throttle a little and Be damned it worked! So I locked the front, put it on the stand and it didn't work. Apparently it has to be off the stand, unlocked and on it before it will move! WHY SO COMPLICATED!! Anyway thanks again for all your help!!
UTC

Enthusiast
2009 mp3

Enthusiast
2009 mp3
UTC quote
If you put it on the stand and then unlock the front end it should rev out normally. You have found the safety feature that stops you giving a rev with front end locked and having to chase it down the road.
UTC

Piaggio 530HPE

Piaggio 530HPE
UTC quote
oldgoat wrote:
I agree. could also be a broken wire in the seat circuit caused aa a result of your weight on the seat stretching and breaking the wire when you went over the bump. The machine would act normally until you turned it off and would then go into limp mode when you turned it on again as it would think there was no one on the seat
UTC

Addicted
2010 gts 300 super. 09 MP3 500 lite

Addicted
UTC quote
yes, your problem solved may be temporary. dropping off the centerstand shook the bike and solved the problem the same way it started. you have fuel system problem of some sort. could be a weak connection on harness somewhere. or clogged fuel injector, clogged fuel filter, ect. etc.

it was not. key related. =no start it was not seat switch= bike will rev to 2000. it was not tilt lock or center stand related. =bike will rev up to or over 2000.

most likely cause is a week electrical connection. which will not be easy to find even for a seasoned mechanic with excellent problem solving skills
OP
UTC

2007 mp3

2007 mp3
UTC quote
Thank you gentlemen, I'm going to be inspecting it inside and out now that the silly season is over, I do have one question though, everything I read about this scooters handling is race reviews, how stable and secure feeling it is. It's one reason I sought it out, however both mine and my girlfriends experience is just the opposite! The damn thing SCARES us! It's wobbly, hard to control, turning radius is that of a peterbuilt and it wanders bad! The tires are in fair shape, with the correct air pressure, nothing seems loose, however I haven't had a chance to do a complete inspection which I'll be getting to directly. Any ideas where I should look and what I should look for?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
tires that appear to have good tread could indeed make a bike steer funky. if bike was driven mostly straight the steering bearings could have a notch worn in bearing. effect would be worse than worn tires. last I hated my bike first ride. it does take some time to get used to the heavy steering. I have eight different scooters. my mp3 is top of the food chain. my everything bike. even rides three up quite regularly.

post pics of tire profiles if you can.
OP
UTC

2007 mp3

2007 mp3
UTC quote
the tires look ok, but when sitting still and turning the wheel it's real hard, I thought it was because of the duel tires, but when trying to turn at any speed the steering feels rough. Line you said flt spots on the bearings, so that's my next project, unfortunately I have to sell it. Are their any decent sites to post these aside from the usual suspects? It runs fantastic, unfortunately I bought it without riding it first, I'm crippled with really bad hips and shoulders, and I'm fat so its really hard and excruciatingly painful getting on and off it. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks y'all for all the advice.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0268s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0019s) ][ Debug on ][ 309 ][ Thing One ]