@scrumpadelic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
73 Sprint w/ P210

Enthusiast
@scrumpadelic avatar
73 Sprint w/ P210
UTC quote
73 Sprint with OEM speedo whose needle is stuck on 20 km/h. It's off the scooter so I know it's not the cable at fault. I can zero it using the reverse drill method but it "creeps" back up or if I give it a little shake it moves about and stops on 20. Maybe suttin's broken?

I know I have a couple options: Speedo King or buy a new one but before I do one of those, maybe there's something simple I can do? I've got some dry lube with teflon but I don't want to just start blasting it in there and making everything a mess... and where do I even spray it...in where the bulb goes? Up the cable hole?

Probably a lost cause but maybe worth a shot...

Happy new year scooter nerds.
UTC

Hooked
1980 Bajaj

Hooked
1980 Bajaj
UTC quote
Mine was stuck too. 1980 Bajaj (early 70s Sprint) - it was that the needle would touch the display under it. The casing/enclosure is weak and if you over tighten the long bolt holding it down to the headlight assembly, it would result in the above. I bent the speedo enclosure inward
OP
@scrumpadelic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
73 Sprint w/ P210

Enthusiast
@scrumpadelic avatar
73 Sprint w/ P210
UTC quote
npn wrote:
Mine was stuck too. 1980 Bajaj (early 70s Sprint) - it was that the needle would touch the display under it. The casing/enclosure is weak and if you over tighten the long bolt holding it down to the headlight assembly, it would result in the above. I bent the speedo enclosure inward
Oh cool I'll check that out. Cheers.
OP
@scrumpadelic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
73 Sprint w/ P210

Enthusiast
@scrumpadelic avatar
73 Sprint w/ P210
UTC quote
npn wrote:
Mine was stuck too. 1980 Bajaj (early 70s Sprint) - it was that the needle would touch the display under it.
Nope. Plenty of room below the needle
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LXV 150 3v ie. Midnight Blue (Sold) Now Honda Zoomer X

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
Depends on how handy you are? You can buy a repair kit.https://klewerstore.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-vespa-speedometer-vbb-gt-gl-sprint.html

So logically you can work the bezel (Aluminium bit) until it pops off.
Two screwdrivers under the pointer it will pop off and then lube the shaft.
OP
@scrumpadelic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
73 Sprint w/ P210

Enthusiast
@scrumpadelic avatar
73 Sprint w/ P210
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
Depends on how handy you are? You can buy a repair kit.https://klewerstore.blogspot.com/2012/09/new-vespa-speedometer-vbb-gt-gl-sprint.html

So logically you can work the bezel (Aluminium bit) until it pops off.
Two screwdrivers under the pointer it will pop off and then lube the shaft.
Oh yeah… forgot that third option… SIP sells those plus the lens (mine has a small crack as well).
Main takeaway is… if I do take it apart, I'm lubing the shaft. Good to know. And taking the whole thing apart is the only way of accomplishing this?
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
The Aussie 2nd engineer told me on one ocasion you have two choices "Fix it or, fuck it"
In your case it is broken so do something, eh!
Are the Cannucks still top of the league ?
OP
@scrumpadelic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
73 Sprint w/ P210

Enthusiast
@scrumpadelic avatar
73 Sprint w/ P210
UTC quote
waspmike wrote:
The Aussie 2nd engineer told me on one ocasion you have two choices "Fix it or, fuck it"
In your case it is broken so do something, eh!
Are the Cannucks still top of the league ?
Thought I'd fix it. Guess I'll fuck it.

Canucks for the league!!!
@subetherbass avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others

Ossessionato
@subetherbass avatar
1997 Italjet Formula 125, 2 matching N.Z. '69 VBC Super, 177cc Racer, VespaCross Bodge, Puch SRA150, Piaggio Zip 100! & others
UTC quote
Put lots of layers of masking tape around the bezel (so WHEN you slip with screwdriver you don't scratch the bezel).
Put glass side down and add packing under glass etc so you can put weight on it and keep it in position plus it won't put too much stress on glass (for a round speedo i used the roll of masking tape as it fit snugly).
Get a thin flat screwdriver & slowly start prising the back lip of bezel out, keep the gap nice n even so you're not stretching the bezel nor making bends in it... go round and round heaps of times so it "stretches" & eventually can be slid off...
Remove bezel & glass.
Do whatever you need to fix needle. (For the purpose of this story: change mph to km/h so it complies to local ADR regs)
Slide bezel & glass back on.
Now Ensure packing in big enough so front lip of bezel is supported.
Get a wee hammer & gently tap-tap-tap to rebend back lip of bezel over again till it's nice n tight.

Give completed work back to boss... then find out there are 3 more to do, as the glow-in-the-dark needle tips need to be repainted...
repeat...
... Then find out they were irreplaceable original Porsche 356 Gauges that you have been playing with, not just cheap knockoffs...

Cool... on with the upholstery...
... Then find out they were irreplaceable original Porsche 356 Gauges that you have been playing with, not just cheap knockoffs... Cool... on with the upholstery...
OP
@scrumpadelic avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
73 Sprint w/ P210

Enthusiast
@scrumpadelic avatar
73 Sprint w/ P210
UTC quote
SubEtherBASS wrote:
Put lots of layers of masking tape around the bezel….

Amazing. Thanks.
I might just give it a go. Nothing to lose if I was going to get a new one anyway.
@waspmike avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@waspmike avatar
UTC quote
scrumpadelic wrote:
Nothing to lose if I was going to get a new one anyway.
My my Aussie 2nd meant All those years ago.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0168s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0070s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]