OP
UTC

Vespa Primavera 150 S

Vespa Primavera 150 S
UTC quote
I want to get a new high-quality helmet but I generally ride low speeds and have a short commute. I'd like one that also has the European standard. Does anybody have a suggestion? I am specifically worried about concussion because I've had one before. Thanks!
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
elirosenblatt,

You are riding a smaller 150cc scoot at lower speeds. You could probably get by with any haif helmet. I like a full helmet because it provides more protection.
I do not like the full 1 piece helmet because I find it to claustraphobic. I like the full flip front helmet. That way, when I ride or slow down I can flip up the front.

Bob Copeland
Cycle-Gear Sedici Sistema flip front helmet (Without Blue Tooth) $259.00
Mine is actually white.
Cycle-Gear Sedici Sistema flip front helmet (Without Blue Tooth) $259.00 Mine is actually white.
@fergy avatar
UTC

Hooked
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties

Hooked
@fergy avatar
2021 GTS300 Racing Sixties
UTC quote
If your head hits the pavement at 20 mph you will want to have the same protection you would have at 60 mph.
OP
UTC

Vespa Primavera 150 S

Vespa Primavera 150 S
UTC quote
I agree completely. Any idea of a specific helmet besides the one above?
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Hello Eli,
welcome back! I remember your first thread... New owner anxiety (help)!
So I'm a bit surprised that you are now considering an open face helmet.

Nevertheless, my thoughts on your question:
- The visor should go over your chin. A small stone or a large insect can hurt like hell if it hits you in the face.
- Make sure that an internal sun visor can still be operated when the visor is closed.

Like Bob, I personally ride with a modular/folding helmet. Please note that at least the European ECE approval up to ECE 22.05 for flip-up helmets only applies to the closed state (there are a few helmets that have two approvals and have been tested in the closed and open state). This means that if a helmet has only been tested and certified closed, it may not be ridden open (because the protective effect has not been proven).

Since 2024, there has been the new ECE 22.06 approval, which requires flip-up helmets to be tested open and closed.

Nevertheless, I think flip-up helmets are the best choice: simply open at stop-and-go, at traffic lights and close otherwise.

If you do want a open face helmet: I advise against the original Vespa helmets, the fit and quality are poor, the visor is too short and the sun visor cannot be operated from the outside (depending on the model, see above), the price is too high.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
UTC quote
I always wear a full faced helmet regardless of speed. It's important to find a helmet that fits your head shape. Shoei fits my head the best. My helmet has a removable liner that I can wash or replace when needed. I currently have an RF 1200 but will be getting the RF1400 soon. These helmets are expensive but worth the price to protect your melon. If you have the chance, try on different manufacturers to get the best fit. I can also get different size cheek pads for my helmet. Hope this helps.
⚠️ Last edited by BajaRob on UTC; edited 1 time
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
elirosenblatt wrote:
With helmets, it's all about the fit - the helmet has to fit your head.
I rode a Caberg for years and when I needed a new one, the new model that replaced prior one no longer fitted my head. I tried dozens of helmets and finally decided on the HJC rpha 90, but I would also have considered Shoei or Schuberth in terms of quality. I don't know if you can get these brands in the USA.
If the helmet has been tested according to ECE 22.05 / 22.06, it definitely fulfills the respective standard (although 22.06 is stricter)
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
I always wear a full faced helmet regardless of speed. It's important to find a helmet that fits your head shape. Shoei fits my head the best. My helmet has a removable liner that I can wash or replace when needed. I currently have an RF 1200 but will be getting the RF1400 soon. These helmets are expensive but worth the price to protect your melon. If you have the chance try on different manufacturers to get the best fit. I can also get different size cheek pads for my helmet. Hope this helps.
👍👍👍
@dariusz avatar
UTC

Hooked
2007 MP3 250ie / 2022 MP3 500HPE SA

Hooked
@dariusz avatar
2007 MP3 250ie / 2022 MP3 500HPE SA
UTC quote
Maybe a Shark EVO can be a good beat as works fantastic in both states (open or close) at any speed?

It are ECE2205 approved for riding with the chin-bar in both open and closed position, so sounds as very good.
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
LX150
UTC quote
https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Green.html

This site has a lot of interesting information about helmets, including the above.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
I generally wear an HJC modular that I've had for a long time. Noisy as heck, but it got me into the habit of ALWAYS wearing earplugs when I ride, regardless of the type of helmet I put on...so that's a plus.

I do wear one of several 3/4 open face helmets now and then (though I know better), but I'm fatlisticaly aware of their limited protection if, or when, things go awry.

My creepy old face isn't exactly my meal-ticket, but I've reluctantly come to the realization that life would be worse without it, and even a 10-20 mph faceplant would very likely rearrange it quite thoroughly, and probably not for the better.
@oldschooot avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX

Ossessionato
@oldschooot avatar
2018 LIBERTY 150S, 2013 Kymco LIKE200iLX
UTC quote
Pavement and car fenders are just as hard in low speed offs. Recommend you ride with the finest helmet you can afford.
Always.
O.S.
@utahusker avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2024 GTS 300 SuperSport, 2006 Vespa LX150, 2011 Honda PCX 125, 1984 Honda Aero 125

Enthusiast
@utahusker avatar
2024 GTS 300 SuperSport, 2006 Vespa LX150, 2011 Honda PCX 125, 1984 Honda Aero 125
UTC quote
I moved to an Shoei RF1400 from a 1200, and the ventilation has been improved by a large margin. The previous RF1200 saved my life from an accident I had on my XSR900. I had 17 fractures, but my head was unharmed. The insurance bought me a new 1200 that has served me well for 5 years.

You need to try on your helmet before purchasing. Each manufacturer fits different head types.
@pigletpilot avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS

Molto Verboso
@pigletpilot avatar
Gina, 1965 Vespa 180SS, Bella,1968 Vespa 150 Super, Mia, 2017 Vespa Primavera 70th Anniversary 150ie, Gabriella, 2017 GTS300 ABS
UTC quote
I'm another full face all the time fan. I have had 2 LS2 helmets, the first replaced after I dropped it onto pavement from head height. Chipped the outer layer, threw it away. Last year I tried on and bought a Scorpion Evo 1400 Air. Fit is beautiful, and if I do happen to hit the pavement then I'm confident it will look after me. Something like 40 - 50% of hits are in the lower facial area, that chin bar does a lot of work keeping the visage from getting any uglier in my case.
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
Shoei, Schubert, Arai and HJC are the most common full-face (/modular) brands you see around here.

All have a nice selection of good models. The best fit to your head defines what is the best purchase, so go and try them on
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
elirosenblatt wrote:
I prefer the Nolan chinbar helmets (N40, N41, N43e). They are lighter weight, protect your face as well as full and mudular designs, and offer good field of vision. I have worn flip up modular helmets and found the way they open handy compared to full shell helmets, but they are heavy and bulky IMO, compared to the chinbar designs.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
My philosophy is "different horses for different courses" - not sure if that's just an English phrase or has made it worldwide!

An open face helmet has some pros that a full face doesn't have. Better airflow and brain function (covered in a fortnine video as carbon dioxide often builds up inside a full face helmet), but also much better visibility and field of view.

Also subjective, but other drivers see your face and so you're more "human" in an open face helmet.

At low speed city environments, I feel these pros massively outweigh the cons, especially if you're allowed to filter through traffic where you live.

At motorway / highway speeds, it would be full face every time.

I also have different jackets, and different gloves so adjust my protection depending on my journey that day. Some of my gloves are like big heavy gauntlets that restrict my use of the controls, but are obviously much better at higher speeds.

Quite a few cyclists travel around at 30mph with much more basic helmets, or sometimes no helmet at all, and some runners can hit 20+mph - so everything is subjective.

When I had my 30mph Elettrica, I would often be using small country roads that were only used by cyclists - the majority of which would be in full lycra while I had all my protection on.
OP
UTC

Vespa Primavera 150 S

Vespa Primavera 150 S
UTC quote
Sorry I miss represented myself I definitely want a full face helmet. I agree a face plant at 20 MPH would still suck.

But thanks so much for all the recommendations. I'll get on google 😀 and make the best choice!
UTC

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300

Addicted
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
elirosenblatt wrote:
Sorry I miss represented myself I definitely want a full face helmet. I agree a face plant at 20 MPH would still suck.

But thanks so much for all the recommendations. I'll get on google 😀 and make the best choice!
Better visit a local dealer for helmets.

In Germany there are two large dealer chains that sell motorcycle accessories (jackets, helmets, etc.): https://www.polo-motorrad.com/ or https://www.louis-moto.com/en/?disableRecommendedDomainPanel=true

I have no idea if there are such chains in the US or at least local dealers that specialize in motorcycle accessories and carry a wide selection from different manufacturers.
@crazycarl avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax

Ossessionato
@crazycarl avatar
2007 250 GTS, 1980 P200E, 2010 ThunderFly 190 (SOLD) 2015 Yamaha SMax
UTC quote
Check out Revzilla online. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-helmets

They have great video reviews of a lot of helmets to help you research and make an informed decision.

Be sure to measure the circumference of your head carefully in mm and inches. Note that sizing and shell shape can vary across manufacturers.

On a related note, a more expensive helmet won't necessarily be a safer one. More expensive helmets will use nicer interior materials for improved comfort and use composite materials for lighter weight. So you may want to factor that into your decision making.

I really like Nolan helmets. I think they are a great mid priced helmet that is well made. I'm currently on my 3rd Nolan helmet over the last 12 years, but not due to any wear issues.

Once your online research is done and you've finalized a few choices, it would be good to find a local dealer where you can check them out in person.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
Good stuff shared on this helmet subject. As noted above, several relate that you really need to try the helmet on. Same helmet, different year, same size can fit different.

I just really like the modular flip helmets. When cruising in the country with my riding group, we slow down to lower posted speed as we pass threw small towns. I like to flip the front up and get some air. Many times, when under 40 miles per hour, I have the front flipped up with the inside sun visor down.

Interestingly, the Harley Rider lobby got the State of Minnesota to repeal the manditory helmet law.

Bob Copeland
Minnesota USA
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
I could really use a new full-faced, but since I last bought one (5+ years ago), all the manufacturers have increased the thickness of the opening's neck roll, I assume to decrease wind noise, but getting one of these newer helmets on and off has become literally a painful experience, and one of the last one's I tried, scraped my ears so badly when pulling it off, it had my outer ears actually bleeding from the scraped skin. It was an XL or even XXL. Once on, the helmet felt about right, but getting it on and off without a stream of curse words accompanying the effort was impossible.

I've found modulars to be a probable option because with the chin bar raised, the sides of the helmet are flexible enough that they can be
spread while sliding the helmet on.
@juan_orhea avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08

Molto Verboso
@juan_orhea avatar
S150 '09, Beo 500ie '08
UTC quote
I have found these helmets to exceed expectations - modular, flip-down sunshade, lots of colors, washable lining, accommodates my Cardo speakers and microphone. I'm on my second one in 5 years and the first is still holding up well.

https://www.amazon.com/1Storm-Motorcycle-Modular-Helmet-Shield/dp/B01N1LWHZG

They are not as quiet as more expensive brands, which isn't really an issue at 150cc speeds. I do notice road noise above about 60mph on my 500cc - but I rarely drive that fast for more than a few minutes, and when I do, I use earplugs.

EDIT: perhaps not to your specifications since it's only DOT-certified, and makes no mention of ECE certification.
⚠️ Last edited by Juan_ORhea on UTC; edited 1 time
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
JBlacklund,

You know your stuff. You can stretch the modular helmet as you are putting it on your head. I also always wear a durag the covers my ears. Allows the helmet to go on smother.

Bob Copeland
No snow on the ground here in Twin Cities. Actually got up to 58 degrees yesterday and set historical record for last day in January.
@gbaby avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT

Molto Verboso
@gbaby avatar
Modern Primavera (not pictured); Moto Guzzi V-85 TT
UTC quote
Expensive helmets surely protect you more than cheap ones, but probably not more than moderately priced ones. I, however, buy the expensive ones anyway (even if I really can't afford it) because they are just so gosh-darn nice and comfortable and pleasant.
@aiosi avatar
UTC

Hooked
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500

Hooked
@aiosi avatar
2005 Vespa PX 150 Serie America #107 of 500
UTC quote
pigletpilot wrote:
Something like 40 - 50% of hits are in the lower facial area, that chin bar does a lot of work keeping the visage from getting any uglier in my case.
Just to reinforce what you said I'll post this.
It may not be 40-50% but it is certainly much higher there than anywhere else.
I think I found it somewhere on MV.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 57,000km
@cogind avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@cogind avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
If it wasn't for a full face Arai I wouldn't have a face after my crash in 2008. I tucked and rolled and the momentum whipped my head down to the ground face first. I'd say I was going about 30 or less mph.

Broke my arm too but didn't care so much about my arm as I did my face.
I have several HJC helmets now, all full face with pull down sunshades. They fit my head well. Shoeis fit me well too, I'd like to try on a Nolan. The more open eye port might work well for me.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC quote
Another take away from all this good information: Even if you are on a 50cc moped you can get seriously injured at 10 miles per hour.

Be safe all.

Bob Copeland
@jon651 avatar
UTC

2016 GTS300ie

@jon651 avatar
2016 GTS300ie
UTC quote
elirosenblatt wrote:
I want to get a new high-quality helmet but I generally ride low speeds and have a short commute. I'd like one that also has the European standard. Does anybody have a suggestion? I am specifically worried about concussion because I've had one before. Thanks!
I wore thinner half-helmets and lids for decades on my Harleys, but it wasn't until I started riding my Vespa GTS300 full time that I actually made the switch to something slightly bulkier with an internal pull-down eye/face shield. Here is what I chose:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0792M8M12?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It has nice features at a reasonable price, and (most important to me living in Florida) excellent internal airflow to control heat build-up. The internal eye shield has already paid for itself! It still lets me have an "open" feeling with greater coverage than what I wore in the past.

My wife, however, prefers a full-face pull-down helmet for even greater coverage and safety. If heat build-up is a concern like it is for me, just know that any full-face helmet will run warn when fully closed. It's just the nature of the beast.

One last piece of sage advice - there is nothing that will ever replace actually trying on a helmet in real life. I'm lucky enough to pass by JP Cycles north of Daytona on occasion - and they literally have hundreds to browse and try.
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Hurricane 200X, 2020 TW 200 (sold), 2022 Liberty 150

Hooked
@oldfatguy avatar
Hurricane 200X, 2020 TW 200 (sold), 2022 Liberty 150
UTC quote
Went from open half-helmet to HJC i90 modular after seeing pictures of riders missing front teeth.

OFG
@rmwill avatar
UTC

Hooked
Too Many Bikes!

Hooked
@rmwill avatar
Too Many Bikes!
UTC quote
Buddy of mine ended up in a coma from a sub 20mph crash. Buy the best lid you can afford. I only wear Arai and dispose of them after 5 years.
@cdwise avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300, Buddy 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@cdwise avatar
GTS 300, Buddy 125
UTC quote
Dooglas wrote:
I prefer the Nolan chinbar helmets (N40, N41, N43e). They are lighter weight, protect your face as well as full and mudular designs, and offer good field of vision. I have worn flip up modular helmets and found the way they open handy compared to full shell helmets, but they are heavy and bulky IMO, compared to the chinbar designs.
Another Nolan n4x fan. I love the viewport and they fit my head. I rarely remove the chin bar but it is an option I've used occasionally when it has been really hot and humid. Another thing I like is because the viewport is so big so is the shield which covers more of your face when the chin bar is removed than any other helmet I've seen. It also has good airflow with all the vents open. Though that does make it a bit noisier at high speed but not at low speeds.

The single most important thing though is that your helmet fits your head well and is comfortable. An uncomfortable helmet creates a distraction when riding.
@desmo33 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
2016 Sprint 150, 1965 Li125 Special

Enthusiast
@desmo33 avatar
2016 Sprint 150, 1965 Li125 Special
UTC quote
I have this Bell Bullitt that I really like. The eye port is so large that it feels like an open-face helmet to me...I can take drink from my water bottle without removing it. It's on sale right now too!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-bullitt-gold-flake-helmet?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAq4KuBhA6EiwArMAw1EoGEjQz0FLn0uu06icjbSRxvvaQUnpGwjr1I2qwobp6JCP52FQDBhoC_rQQAvD_BwE
UTC

Sei Giorni (2022)

Sei Giorni (2022)
UTC quote
I have had facial reconstruction surgery (not bike related) after a fall. Believe me, it is NOT anything you want. Protect your jaw and cheeks, not just your skull.
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
utahusker wrote:
I moved to an Shoei RF1400 from a 1200, and the ventilation has been improved by a large margin. The previous RF1200 saved my life from an accident I had on my XSR900. I had 17 fractures, but my head was unharmed. The insurance bought me a new 1200 that has served me well for 5 years.

You need to try on your helmet before purchasing. Each manufacturer fits different head types.
I made the exact same jump; I haven't tried out the new helmet yet and look forward to the thaw so that I can. -Just had my old Shoei hit the 5 year mark so thought it was a good time to move on up.

Also, per original post: I made the decision to wear full faced helmet at all times when I got my scooter. My thinking? "If you're going to do something as (potentially) unsafe as drive on 2 wheels on the same roads as cars, do it as safely as possible." My $.02. No one expects or plans an accident.
@stickyfrog avatar
UTC

Moderatus Rana
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s

Moderatus Rana
@stickyfrog avatar
MP3 250 and 2 MP3 500s
UTC quote
I just ordered this two days ago to retire my Shoei. Everyone knows Sena but I didn't know they now had helmets. It has built in coms and the price is very good. Ratings are generally positive. I ordered the Outrush R (2021) version since it has the push button com controller as opposed to the jog dial that some complained about.

I'll do a review of it, if I keep it, once I use it. According to the reviews they run small so I ordered an X-large.

http://tinyurl.com/2kkpxu4y

PS Nice to see a helmet topic that hasn't gone sideways. Keep up the good work.
@kevin_harrell avatar
UTC

Addicted
1980 Honda Twinstar and 2004 Yamaha V Star

Addicted
@kevin_harrell avatar
1980 Honda Twinstar and 2004 Yamaha V Star
UTC quote
Full face all the way. With a 3/4 helmet without a shield gnats will get stuck between the helmet and your head. Reall hate that. And, if you get a face shield on a 3/4 helmet you might as well go full face.
@karlsbadd avatar
UTC

Hooked
2018 Piaggio BV 350

Hooked
@karlsbadd avatar
2018 Piaggio BV 350
UTC quote
elirosenblatt: I see you live in Bk. As someone who rides in NYC a lot, I very strongly urge you to reconsider getting a full-face. This city's drivers dgaf about you, if they even see you.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0322s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0092s) ][ Debug on ][ 313 ][ Thing One ]