@cogind avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@cogind avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
I rode to the coffee shop, parked my bike, decided NOT to lock the helmet on the bike as usual. I didn't want the helmet to bake in the sun.

I got distracted by parking patrol car, the guy always wants me to move my bike. I forgot to switch the ignition off.

Sat w my friends for about an hour and a half. When I go back to the bike, I note the lights were still on. I tried to pop open the seat to get my gloves, and there was not enough juice to do so. I put my helmet on, hoped for the best, and the bike fired up. Whew. I was able to get home and the bike spent a few hours on the battery tender.

I couldn't get to my gloves, and if I locked my helmet I couldn't ride home as I did (gloveless but head protected). Of course once I got the bike rolling I didn't want to chance it stalling so didn't dig for the gloves.

In decades of riding I never did this, but there you go.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
Glad to hear it still fired up after a hour and a half.

Could you not of popped the seat after starting the Vespa? There's also the emergency manual pull handle in the glove box that pops the seat if the battery is flat.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
You can always open the pet carrier (even with the battery disconnected/discharged) using the emergency release in the glove compartment.
OP
@cogind avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@cogind avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Once I started it, I just zoomed away, paranoid (well, concerned) about stalling.

I forgot about the lever in the glove box. Not sure if there was enough juice when pressing in the ignition switch to open the box.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
In my opinion, the seat bench release still works if the battery voltage is no longer sufficient for starting. What does the voltage display on the MY23 GTS show?
OP
@cogind avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@cogind avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
When I ride, it's @14.4. It gets up there as soon as I roll out of the driveway.

I just turned on the ignition and it's @12.6 before starting.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
cogind wrote:
When I ride, it's @14.4. It gets up there as soon as I roll out of the driveway.

I just turned on the ignition and it's @12.6 before starting.
Looks like the battery is ok
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@cogind avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS 300

Hooked
@cogind avatar
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Thanks for the chart!
@olde_rider avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@olde_rider avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
cogind wrote:
Once I started it, I just zoomed away, paranoid (well, concerned) about stalling.

I forgot about the lever in the glove box. Not sure if there was enough juice when pressing in the ignition switch to open the box.
IIRC, the manual release for the seat is just that - manual. No electricity involved.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0147s ][ Queries: 6 (0.0065s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]