@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
This seems like a motorcycle that might be appealing to some MV members.

@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker
1980 Vespa P200e (sold), 2002 Vespa ET4 (sold), 1949 Harley-Davidson FL

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
This type of motorcycle definitely appeals to me. I love the lack of technology.

Thanks for posting!
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
Janus has been making these since 2011 and they are using a modern engine so not really old school like the one in the pic that is 100 years old.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
Janus has been making these since 2011 and they are using a modern engine so not really old school like the one in the pic that is 100 years old.
The one in the picture is not 100 years old. It's one of Janus' early models (probably a 2011) with a liquid cooled 2-stroke. They don't sell this model anymore.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
I went to the Janus website and used their build tool to customize a Halcyon 450 model. I loaded it with anything I thought I might like. $17,895. So expensive, but not crazy out of this world expensive.
UTC

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150

Addicted
2020 piaggio liberty 150
UTC quote
I believe there was a used Janus on facebook marketplace in Carson City area not too long ago. I think it's pretty expensive at almost 18 large for a new one.

The one I saw close is gone now but here is one in the North SF Bay area. Only a 250 but super low miles and only asking $5,450

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/820424403340496/
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
skids wrote:
I believe there was a used Janus on facebook marketplace in Carson City area not too long ago. I think it's pretty expensive at almost 18 large for a new one.

The one I saw close is gone now but here is one in the North SF Bay area. Only a 250 but super low miles and only asking $5,450

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/820424403340496/
wow! 154 miles. That's crazy. Must have been an impulse purchase and now they just want out. I think the 250 appeals to me more because of its lighter weight.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I like the look, like a Harley J model with one cylinder.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
I like the look, like a Harley J model with one cylinder.
The Harley model J is a cool machine.

This beautifully restored 1916 model J was entered in the motorcycle cannonball a few years ago. On day 1 of the race, a rocker arm broke and the push rod punctured a full fuel tank. It was a sad end. Crying or Very sad emoticon
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
This beautifully restored 1916 model J was entered in the motorcycle cannonball a few years ago. On day 1 of the race, a rocker arm broke and the push rod punctured a full fuel tank. It was a sad end. Crying or Very sad emoticon
Oh, shit. That sucks!
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2020 GTS300 HPE/2022 Triumph Rocket 3R

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:
I went to the Janus website and used their build tool to customize a Halcyon 450 model. I loaded it with anything I thought I might like. $17,895. So expensive, but not crazy out of this world expensive.
Spendy, but probably no more than the 'lowliest' new Harley, and it's exclusivity is guaranteed.

My fussy eyes would like to see the 450 version available with a natural silver finished motor instead of everything being blacked out as they are.

As long as they're sourcing their engines from foreign manufacturers anyway, perhaps they could offer a model with a Royal Enfield single?
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:

Damn, that's horrible. I hope it was salvaged and brought back.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
JBacklund wrote:
Spendy, but probably no more than the 'lowliest' new Harley, and it's exclusivity is guaranteed.

My fussy eyes would like to see the 450 version available with a natural silver finished motor instead of everything being blacked out as they are.

As long as they're sourcing their engines from foreign manufacturers anyway, perhaps they could offer a model with a Royal Enfield single?
For that kind of coin, I would restore an older scoot and put it on the road. A newer RE single would do alright, the older 500s and 350, bullet engines are paint bucket shakers are built, let's say, on the loose side. If you want a big single, the Suzuki LS650/Savage engine is a good one as long as you get a post '96 engine and keep an eye on the very long cam chain and tensioner as they tend to grenade around 15k miles.
@bill_dog avatar
UTC

eeeee bip
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy

eeeee bip
@bill_dog avatar
BMW R1100RT The Problem Child Kymco Downtown 300 - I'm not the Uber Honda Cub - Scorched Earth Policy
UTC quote
$18,000 and engines from China.

I'm not so sure.

Rotax anyone ?
UTC

Hooked
Stella

Hooked
Stella
UTC quote
Halcyon 250 #1000 may be on the market soon.
@jbacklund avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@jbacklund avatar
UTC quote
I owned a 2016 RE 500 for a couple seasons, kind of an interesting and nice looking, bike, but nothing that I would care to own again. "paint bucket shakers" is an apt description of that model.

The new generation 350 engine would work well however. The one I owned was a very pleasant machine, and it's modest 20 hp would suit the character of the Janus.

2016 RE 500 and '23 350...
@dooglas avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@dooglas avatar
GTS 300ABS, Buddy 125, Buddy Kick 125
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
If you want a big single, the Suzuki LS650/Savage engine is a good one as long as you get a post '96 engine and keep an eye on the very long cam chain and tensioner
I owned a Suzuki Savage (S40) and rode it in Florida for several years. Surprisingly smooth for a 650 single. Fitted me great (5'9") but wouldn't work for a taller rider. I once saw a custom RE 500 with sidecar that had been fitted with a Savage engine. Looked great and I imagine it rode great compared to an Enfield.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT

Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
UTC quote
caschnd1 wrote:

I've got to say, that is a really good photo of the fire. The bike is so clean and vivid that the fire looks like it couldn't possibly be real. Truly sad demise indeed.

I caught a dirtbike on fire once when the blown out rear shock squirted oil on the exhaust and set the seat on fire. I jumped off and the whole thing went up in flames. Had to bury it totally to put it out. The gas tank looked like an oil derrick on fire.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
I've got to say, that is a really good photo of the fire. The bike is so clean and vivid that the fire looks like it couldn't possibly be real. Truly sad demise indeed.
It is a tragedy. The parts on these old Harleys are so rare and the part prices go to the moon and beyond. I can't imagine what it would cost to restore it again. To give you an idea of prices: a buddy of mine and I were out riding a couple years ago. I was on a 97 Sportster, he was on his all original '56 Pan. We had just filled up with gas and were heading back out on the highway towards the Blue Ridge. A couple miles on he drops back and pulls over. I head back to him to find out that his gas cap came off. We looked for that little gas cap for 2 miles and 2 hours and if it had not been chrome we would not had found it at all. I was already annoyed for being so far behind on time and there were bike shops in the area, so a replacement could have been found, but I let it go. That evening, sitting around after a good dinner, I questioned why we went all through the trouble to find it. My buddy replied that is was original to the bike and year. When we got back from the trip I looked for one to buy and give him as kind of a joke. The cheapest one I found was over $600 and it did not look that good at all. A nice gas cap like he had was $800 - $1k. He also had a '41 Knucklehead with a sidecar - totally factory original. That scoot was probably more valuable than my house.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
I sold this OEM Panhead gas cap for $300 recently. It went to Japan.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
You gave the guy a great deal from what I have been seeing. And there is so much counterfeit stuff out there. You need a sharp eye to tell the difference. That would not be me. Facepalm emoticon
@bearcat avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110

Hooked
@bearcat avatar
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110
UTC quote
Great thread, "visceral" and simple is what comes to mind. I watched the well-made video in its entirety. For anyone interested there is a tread over on the ADV-R site dedicated to these bikes. They are a little rich for my blood considering how much it would get ridden. I think for those with deeper pockets and an interest, they would be a unique and fun machine to have in the stable. Especially the DGR guys. I cringed at those burning pics of the 1916 Harley model J.
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC

Grumpy Biker

Grumpy Biker
@caschnd1 avatar
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
You gave the guy a great deal from what I have been seeing. And there is so much counterfeit stuff out there. You need a sharp eye to tell the difference. That would not be me. Facepalm emoticon
Oh yeah. Counterfeit stuff is out there for sure. Usually not too difficult for the experienced eye to see it for what it is though. The counterfeiters usually get the font on the makers mark incorrect or are sloppy in their dimensions. There are several versions of panhead gas caps. While $300 for a gas cap is a lot, this example is not as valuable as the taller version of this gas cap. That might be the type your friend had. The cap I sold also showed plenty of wear.
The proper EATON hallmark on the gas cap I sold.
The proper EATON hallmark on the gas cap I sold.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0160s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0027s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]