@sprintbrad avatar
UTC

Lurker
2020 Vespa Sprint 150

Lurker
@sprintbrad avatar
2020 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
I was a first-time rider in May 2023 when I purchased my 2020 Vespa Sprint 150. Up until then, I had been doing most of my errands by bicycle most of the time after I retired in 2016. I no longer have a car. I got my initial 600 mile service last month, so I decided that it was time to see how fast I could go on the I-15 freeway early last Sunday morning. I got up to 67 on the speedometer (actual 62 mph according to Vespa service), but the wind buffeting me got a little too hairy. The scooter seemed very stable, but the wind was hitting me too forcefully from the side and it unnerved me some. I slowed and exited the freeway. I love this scooter in the city, especially when I'm going 35-45 mph. It can do hills fine, and I can keep up with the fastest traffic anytime I want to, although I'd rather cruise in the right lane much of the time. I'm posting this as a recommendation for the Sprint 150 when someone does most of their riding in the city. Any thoughts?
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
The longer you spend at higher speeds, the more you get used to it.

When you say 62mph according to Vespa Service, do you mean the app? I always thought the app used the speedo measurement.

My digital dash seems to over read by 3mph across the whole rev range in comparison to GPS. I top out at 59mph true speed, but my Vespa will display 62mph when I feel the limiter kick in. I have seen 65mph on the speedo but I have to accelerate down hill to get the last little bit!

I've got a 125cc version of your Vespa and it's definitely more comfortable in the city, but it can cope with the higher speeds. Difference is you go from a big fish in a small pond, to a small fish in a big pond.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Some motorcycles will break the wind up some depending on the model. With most scooters, the wind washes over the leg shield and can be worse than a motorcycle. The model you have does exactly what it was designed for - a city bike that can do 55-60 mph when needed. But it is not a highway scoot, there are other models for that. But it can do a few short highway trips when necessary.
@oldfatguy avatar
UTC

Hooked
Hurricane 200X, 2020 TW 200 (sold), 2022 Liberty 150

Hooked
@oldfatguy avatar
Hurricane 200X, 2020 TW 200 (sold), 2022 Liberty 150
UTC quote
Medium windscreen helps a lot. One that you look over is about the right height.

OFG
OP
@sprintbrad avatar
UTC

Lurker
2020 Vespa Sprint 150

Lurker
@sprintbrad avatar
2020 Vespa Sprint 150
UTC quote
By "Vespa service" I meant the service technician who puts out videos from Portland Oregon Vespa. He did a you tube video with a 2020 yellow Vespa Sprint 150 and stated that Vespa over estimates top speed of its scooters by 5 mph.
@cadbury64 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150

Hooked
@cadbury64 avatar
2019 Primavera 150
UTC quote
The fastest I ever saw on my Primavera 150 was 110km/hr indicated, but that was downhill on the motorway with me crouching a bit. On the flat it would pull to around 105km/hr but no more. I found the bike was acceptably stable at those speeds, actually a lot better than I expected for something that is as agile as it is.
@olde_rider avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@olde_rider avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
I agree. My Primavera is quite stable at 40 and 50 MPH. I am pleasantly surprised.
UTC

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super

Ossessionato
2018 GTS Super
UTC quote
sprintbrad wrote:
I got up to 67 on the speedometer (actual 62 mph according to Vespa service), but the wind buffeting me got a little too hairy. The scooter seemed very stable, but the wind was hitting me too forcefully from the side and it unnerved me some. I slowed and exited the freeway....Any thoughts?
Tuck. You'll get a few more mph and much less buffeting.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0140s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0017s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]