OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Hello. I have a 2017 GTS. The battery just died so I put in a new battery.

Just before I changed the battery, I jumped it and it started just fine. But wouldn't keep running after I disconnected the jumper cables. So I thought it was a bad battery (3-4 years old).

I bought a new one. It turns over just fine and I can hear the fuel pump. But won't start. All lights and everything is working.

Is it an immobilizer issue? I wonder… I am using the OEM key. I also just tried the brown key and still no start…
⚠️ Last edited by hoch on UTC; edited 1 time
@outsider avatar
UTC

Hooked
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150

Hooked
@outsider avatar
ET 50 GTS250ie Sprint 150
UTC quote
Check the fuses on my 2008 I know there is 25amp fuse under the seat. if that fuse is blown no start.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Thanks. All fuses are good. (6 of them in the glove box).

I also checked the immobilizer light (red LED). The brown key, it blinks once, then 3 slow blinks (cranks, but doesn't start). One of the other keys, one blink, then two blinks and LED stays lit (no crank). The third key, just a single blink and LED stays off (cranks but doesn't start). So the third key should work but no go.

According to this, the master key should start as well:
Immobilizer LED codes
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Does the brake light go on when you are squeezing one of the brake levers?
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Tierney wrote:
Does the brake light go on when you are squeezing one of the brake levers?
Yes, brake lights come on. All electronics appear to be working (trunk release, brake light, dash lights, fuel pump, etc).

I've crossed out the immobilizer issue.

So confusing since it just started and ran this morning. Also ran fine a couple of weeks ago.
UTC

Hooked
300gts super sport

Hooked
300gts super sport
UTC quote
Side stand switch faulty ?
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Binettasteve wrote:
Side stand switch faulty ?
Mine doesn't have a side stand (I'm in the U.S.). And if tripped, doesn't the scooter not crank at all?

And I thought those were standardized only after 2019 models.
UTC

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i

Hooked
2013 BV350, 2014 GTS , 2016 GTS, 2013 Downtown 300i, 2018 Like 150i
UTC quote
If you can hear the fuel pump, and the engine is turning over (cranking away ) but won't start, then it does not sound like battery (keep it topped up while testing), the fuel pump, the relay nor the starter!

You need to check that you are getting spark.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
rdhood wrote:
If you can hear the fuel pump, and the engine is turning over (cranking away ) but won't start, then it does not sound like battery (keep it topped up while testing), the fuel pump, the relay nor the starter!

Will do. It still seems odd that it's affect the ignition system after a battery change. But maybe I jostled something when changing the battery??
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
rdhood wrote:

Agreed.
@jon651 avatar
UTC

2016 GTS300ie

@jon651 avatar
2016 GTS300ie
UTC quote
The sarcastic reply would be to check to see if it has fuel... Facepalm emoticon

If it cranks and you hear the fuel pump and it has plenty of fuel in the tank, then you need to drill down on the 3 things that make the motor work: Fuel, Air and Spark. I would check for a bad/fouled plug, a broken or disconnected plug wire, a broken/crimped/clogged fuel line, or a fouled fuel filter/screen at the fuel pump. Also take a peek at your air filter.

Good luck.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Jon651 wrote:
The sarcastic reply would be to check to see if it has fuel... Facepalm emoticon

If it cranks and you hear the fuel pump and it has plenty of fuel in the tank, then you need to drill down on the 3 things that make the motor work: Fuel, Air and Spark. I would check for a bad/fouled plug, a broken or disconnected plug wire, a broken/crimped/clogged fuel line, or a fouled fuel filter/screen at the fuel pump. Also take a peek at your air filter.

Good luck.
Thank you, Jon. I just filled it with gas a couple of weeks ago but haven't ridden since due to poor weather.

I'm hoping I accidentally bumped the plug wire. But will check the items mentioned.
@bob_copeland avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550

Ossessionato
@bob_copeland avatar
2013 Vespa 300 Super, 2022 Kymco AK 550
UTC quote
Jon651,

Sound advise on this forum. Regrettably, I am mechanically impaired - so it would be off to the Vespa Dealer. I know this sounds supid, do you have the kill switch engaged. Although< i think there would be no juice then.

Bob Copeland
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Bob Copeland wrote:
Jon651,

Sound advise on this forum. Regrettably, I am mechanically impaired - so it would be off to the Vespa Dealer. I know this sounds supid, do you have the kill switch engaged. Although< i think there would be no juice then.

Bob Copeland
Hi Bob,

Yes, I toggled that a few times. But if that were disabled, the engine wouldn't turn over. I have heard those switches can go bad over time. But that doesn't seem to be the issue in this case. Thanks though!
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
hoch wrote:
Hi Bob,

Yes, I toggled that a few times. But if that were disabled, the engine wouldn't turn over. I have heard those switches can go bad over time. But that doesn't seem to be the issue in this case. Thanks though!
Yes, if there were a problem with the immobilizer or the kill switch or such the engine would not crank.
The best is indeed to check if there is spark.

A few responses back you said: "It still seems odd that it's affect the ignition system after a battery change. But maybe I jostled something when changing the battery??"
Which is true: a battery change should not affect the ignition system, and changing the battery is a straightforward thing to do.

Maybe go back to the beginning: you jumpstarted the scooter. How and with what battery did you jumpstart the scooter?
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
Yes, if there were a problem with the immobilizer or the kill switch or such the engine would not crank.
The best is indeed to check if there is spark.

A few responses back you said: "It still seems odd that it's affect the ignition system after a battery change. But maybe I jostled something when changing the battery??"
Which is true: a battery change should not affect the ignition system, and changing the battery is a straightforward thing to do.

Maybe go back to the beginning: you jumpstarted the scooter. How and with what battery did you jumpstart the scooter?
Hi Peter. Thanks for the message.

I jumped it with my car. But didn't have the car running. I pulled each fuse and all were good.

I believe the spark plug wire runs by the battery compartment. Maybe I accidentally pulled the wire enough to dislodge the plug. That's what I'm hoping anyway. But like all of my previous problems, it's never that simple!

Another thought was, when I jumped it, it kept running until I removed the jumper cables. (Happened twice). Obviously not enough battery juice to keep it running. I wonder if I flooded the engine. Another thing I'll need to check.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
hoch wrote:
Thanks. All fuses are good. (6 of them in the glove box).
There are more fuses.

iirc one in the battery compartment and one under the pet carrier. read user manual for precise locations.

Also did you check them with your eyes or with a multimeter?
@cadbury64 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150

Hooked
@cadbury64 avatar
2019 Primavera 150
UTC quote
On my other FI bikes, if they fail to start easily it can be becuse they are flooded with excess fuel. If that happens the instruction is to crank the starter over with the throttle wide open, which signals the FI system to stop injecting fuel so it can clear away. Do Vespa's also behave like that?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
cadbury64 wrote:
On my other FI bikes, if they fail to start easily it can be becuse they are flooded with excess fuel. If that happens the instruction is to crank the starter over with the throttle wide open, which signals the FI system to stop injecting fuel so it can clear away. Do Vespa's also behave like that?
No. The ecu will refuse to crank if the throttle is even slightly open
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
There are more fuses.

iirc one in the battery compartment and one under the pet carrier. read user manual for precise locations.

Also did you check them with your eyes or with a multimeter?
You're correct. There is one 30A fuse in the battery compartment. From research, it appears they moved the fuse from under the pet carrier to the batt compartment sometime after 2016 or so.

I just visually checked them. I'll have to get a multimeter and check if I'm getting 12v. But would any of those fuses cause the starter to crank but engine not fire?
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
I found that out when I tried to give it gas while cranking.

Well, I checked the fuses (visually) and the plug wire. All seated correctly.

Guess next step is to check the fuses with a multimeter. But I have doubts since all lights and other electrical components appear to be working fine.

I also need to test for spark. But will wait until I can get a new spark plug.
@cadbury64 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2019 Primavera 150

Hooked
@cadbury64 avatar
2019 Primavera 150
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
Thanks for that, more useful info to file away.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Just pulled the plug.
I tested for spark as well and all is good. I did order a new plug just in case. But spark isn't the problem. Hoping it's a flooded engine. I'm leaving the spark plug out for the night and will try it in the morning.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Put the spark plug back in, hoping if it were flooded engine, the gas would've evaporated overnight. Still no go this morning.

One thing I've noticed is when I first try starting it, the engine sputters for a second like it's about to start. Then on the subsequent start attempt, it just turns and nothing. 🤔
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
How did you charge the new battery? And what voltage does it drop to while cranking?
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
SteelBytes wrote:
How did you charge the new battery? And what voltage does it drop to while cranking?
I bought the battery at Autozone. They tested it at 84% charge. It cranked fine. But I also used my jump start battery pack just in case. End results were the same.

I haven't checked the voltage but with the battery pack, I'd think it'd not be an issue?

I should also check the injector. I just didn't want to mess with it but it's the only other thing I can think of.
UTC

Vespa Primevera 125 touring 2017

Vespa Primevera 125 touring 2017
UTC quote
I had a similar issue with my old Primevera.

I kinda did a couple of solutions all at once so unsure exactly what the exact solution worked.

Changed the battery.

Re-placed the earth cable, as it was hanging on by a thread. On the Primevera it was attached near the transmission cover/foot peg area. Terrible location as it just rusted away. I think it will be located in a similar place on your GTS.

Replaced the "main fuse".

And a mechanic friend of mine pulled a small cover off in the engine compartment and used a lighter to burn off a slight amount of fuel where I think I had possibly flooded the engine (I did have a faulty Throttle Body ECU, which meant the engine did not idle so constantly had to keep the revs up) I cannot remember what exactly it was though.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Thanks. I'll check out the ground cable and maybe replace the fuse.

Upon some further research, I came across another potential issue.

Could this be the result of a bad sprag clutch? Or one that has been stuck open. When I tested the spark plug, I remember it wasn't just a little blue spark. It was a big yellow spark. So it got me thinking.

Per this thread for reference. jimc 's comment on page one caught my eye.
300GTS Not starting (Page 2)
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
hoch wrote:
(...)
Could this be the result of a bad sprag clutch? Or one that has been stuck open.
When I tested the spark plug, I remember it wasn't just a little blue spark. It was a big yellow spark. So it got me thinking.

Per this thread for reference. jimc 's comment on page one caught my eye.
300GTS Not starting (Page 2)
First: the color of the spark that you see is determined by what elements are in the spark. Each element when ionized in a spark emits a different color spectrum. A bit of contamination on the spark plug changes the color.

Anyway, the color is not relevant. What is relevant is that it is a strong spark.
You tested it outside of the engine in air. But in the engine it has to spark in an air-fuel mixture at some 10 bar. The higher the pressure, the harder it is to spark.
Considering it is a recent GTS 300 with electronic ignition I have no doubt if you see a spark it is a strong spark. But checking that with a brand new spark plug is fine. It is cheap.

Second: if there is a problem with the sprag clutch you will notice that the starter engine runs at an unusually high rev and does not go up and down in revs in an engine cycle.
@olde_rider avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150

Hooked
@olde_rider avatar
Primavera 150
UTC quote
cadbury64 wrote:
I tried it on my Primavera today. It not only cranked with the throttle wide open, it actually started. I was glad I had it on the center stand! So, I presume that it didn't disable the injector.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
PeterCC wrote:
First: the color of the spark that you see is determined by what elements are in the spark. Each element when ionized in a spark emits a different color spectrum. A bit of contamination on the spark plug changes the color.

Anyway, the color is not relevant. What is relevant is that it is a strong spark.
You tested it outside of the engine in air. But in the engine it has to spark in an air-fuel mixture at some 10 bar. The higher the pressure, the harder it is to spark.
Considering it is a recent GTS 300 with electronic ignition I have no doubt if you see a spark it is a strong spark. But checking that with a brand new spark plug is fine. It is cheap.

Second: if there is a problem with the sprag clutch you will notice that the starter engine runs at an unusually high rev and does not go up and down in revs in an engine cycle.
COLOR IS RELEVANT.
blue color is what your looking for
orange or yellowish is a weak voltage

yes the engine has to have proper spark to IGNITE fuel

testing the spark plug outside of the head is just fine. ask ANY professional mechanic.
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
Will it start with starting fluid?
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
UTC quote
hoch wrote:
I bought the battery at Autozone. They tested it at 84% charge. It cranked fine. But I also used my jump start battery pack just in case. End results were the same.

I haven't checked the voltage but with the battery pack, I'd think it'd not be an issue?

I should also check the injector. I just didn't want to mess with it but it's the only other thing I can think of.
So not only did you not charge the new battery but you've never measured the voltage at any time in this story?
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
I haven't tried starter fluid. I don't have a multimeter either. I'll have to borrow one.

But here is a video. It's with the jump pack hooked up.
https://youtube.com/shorts/wu9ldJtodng?si=2PmRh8Yn-6Ko6LvT

I'm going to take out the throttle body and give it a clean. Although I really don't think that'd be the issue.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
COLOR IS RELEVANT.
blue color is what your looking for
orange or yellowish is a weak voltage
(...)
I do not agree with that.

It is in the physics of an arc.

The spark ionizes the atoms that are in the gap between the contact points.
What elements are in this gap determine the color.

If it is only pure air, a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen, and a small amount of noble gasses, the color will be blue, but if there is some contamination present, something as an example, that contains a bit of Natrium (Sodium), the color will be orange.

From a different approach: if there is only pure air in between the contact points you will never get an orange spark, whatever you do, whatever the spark strength is.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
Mystery solved!

It turned out to be the 10A fuse, which I believe is connected to the ECU.
The stock one looked fine visually (picture below) but apparently not!
I swapped in a new 10a fuse and it's all good!
Thanks for the help, all!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jkj-fz6 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125

Ossessionato
@jkj-fz6 avatar
BV400, Primavera 150, Yamaha Zuma 125
UTC quote
hoch wrote:
That's when a cheap multimeter comes in handy.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
hoch wrote:
Mystery solved!

It turned out to be the 10A fuse, which I believe is connected to the ECU.
I swapped in a new 10a fuse and it's all good!
Thanks for the help, all!
glad you got it. out of curiosity would you do another spark plug spark check and tell us the color of the spark now that its back to normal.
Harbor freight has decent mid priced multimeters. they are handy to have not just for scooters but for the home as well.
OP
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
GTS300
UTC quote
old as dirt wrote:
glad you got it. out of curiosity would you do another spark plug spark check and tell us the color of the spark now that its back to normal.
Harbor freight has decent mid priced multimeters. they are handy to have not just for scooters but for the home as well.
Sure, can do. I'll do it when I get the new spark plug, as I'm just going to change it out. So I'll test with the old plug and the new one. Unfortunately the order has been delayed yet again. So much for Prime delivery.
@old_as_dirt avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 GTS

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@old_as_dirt avatar
2007 GTS
UTC quote
hoch wrote:
Sure, can do. I'll do it when I get the new spark plug, as I'm just going to change it out. So I'll test with the old plug and the new one. Unfortunately the order has been delayed yet again. So much for Prime delivery.
thank you
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0644s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0479s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]