OP
@coolbeachrocks avatar
UTC

Vespa GT 200 2005

@coolbeachrocks avatar
Vespa GT 200 2005
UTC quote
Took a trip to the store today, and noticed my Vespa was suspiciously loud on the way back. (I actually thought it was a truck driving next to me because surely this sound wasn't coming from my Vespa! Facepalm emoticon )

When I realized it was my GT being incredibly loud, I pulled off the road and took out my seat bucket. I gave it a moment to sit, about a full minute, and then tried to start it again. It just did a "click" and then nothing. I took the key out, gave it a proper few minutes and tried again. It started up but sounded terrible ([
?share=copy]attached video[/url]). I had groceries and couldn't leave my Vespa on the side of the road when I was less than a mile from home so I put the bucket in and rode it back. My driveway was just over a hill about a quarter mile away so it wasn't long, but going up that hill I was half expecting my Vespa just to explode.

The attached video captures the issue pretty well so hopefully it comes through okay. This is my only transportation at the moment, so I'm hoping it's not catastrophic. Any tips on what happened and how to fix it? Thanks!!

Notes of importance:
*Vespa has 25,000 miles
*Had carbs cleaned last in May 2021 (scoot was not ridden more than 500 miles since, but maintained until I bought it in November 2023) (also had clutch totally replaced, vacuum tubes serviced and re-routed, and new intake manifold)
*Speedometer cable went out last week, waiting on replacement cable in the mail
*Just did my first oil change on it myself 3 weeks ago but haven't observed any leaks and the dipstick is still within range.
*The vespa has been a little clacky and rough since I got it, but I chocked it up to being an almost 20 year old scoot that hadn't been ridden in a while. I had it inspected when I got it and they only noted a slight smell of coolant and advised a flush, which I did DIY but haven't noticed any leaks under or around the scooter ever
OP
@coolbeachrocks avatar
UTC

Vespa GT 200 2005

@coolbeachrocks avatar
Vespa GT 200 2005
UTC quote
Through searching around, I (think) I've narrowed it down to either needing a carb cleaning or a new exhaust bushing. The bushing is pretty beat up so I'll replace that tomorrow and update here about if that was the fix or if I've got to learn to clean a carb this week!
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
That does sound a lot like the exhaust bushing is gone. A dirty carb doesn't make it do that.
@bearcat avatar
UTC

Hooked
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110

Hooked
@bearcat avatar
Primavera 150, Honda NHX110
UTC quote
I'm with Motovista on this. Get a new exhaust bushing. You can always clean your carb another day or not... .
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
Yep. If I remember right you should be able to see/feel exhaust coming out of that junction if the bushing is toast. I don't think it's anything terrible.

I'm sorta surprised it went 25k without going bad, though!
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
lomunchi wrote:
Yep. If I remember right you should be able to see/feel exhaust coming out of that junction if the bushing is toast. I don't think it's anything terrible.
(...)
I agree. No weird mechanical noises. Only a too loud exhaust.
@wbdvt avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super

Molto Verboso
@wbdvt avatar
'16 Sprint S 150, 2 x '06 GTS 250, '12 GTS 300, '74 Vespa 150 Super
UTC quote
Bushing
OP
@coolbeachrocks avatar
UTC

Vespa GT 200 2005

@coolbeachrocks avatar
Vespa GT 200 2005
UTC quote
It was indeed the bushing! I'd picked up an exhaust expander for the job but got the wrong size, thankfully my local Firestone was happy to expand the pipe and fit the bushing in for me in about 2 minutes.
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
UTC quote
Thanks for sharing. This was a logical case.
In fact in most cases what is the most obvious is also the cause.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0090s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0031s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]