OP
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
 
Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
UTC quote
Has anyone had any experience with using a flatting agent like Omni M148 in single stage acrylic enamel ? I have read that talc also works. I have both and could use the talc in urethane.
From what I understand, the issue is keeping it under suspension.
I am looking for a semi gloss/ satin effect. It can be done mechanically, and I have done that, but I have always wanted to try it right out of the gun.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
 
Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
UTC quote
Moto64 wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with using a flatting agent like Omni M148 in single stage acrylic enamel ? I have read that talc also works. I have both and could use the talc in urethane.
From what I understand, the issue is keeping it under suspension.
I am looking for a semi gloss/ satin effect. It can be done mechanically, and I have done that, but I have always wanted to try it right out of the gun.
We use a flattening agent at my work for PPG Omni. You can get anywhere from just under glossy to the flattest of finishes. Just add a little at a time and spray till you get the desired effect.
OP
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
 
Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
We use a flattening agent at my work for PPG Omni. You can get anywhere from just under glossy to the flattest of finishes. Just add a little at a time and spray till you get the desired effect.
I am going to give it a try. Thanks.
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
 
Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
UTC quote
Moto64 wrote:
I am going to give it a try. Thanks.
It's the best way to go, super easy and since it's compatible with your paint you'll have no surprises.
UTC

parallelogramerist
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5258
 
parallelogramerist
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5258
UTC quote
Many years ago when i painted my jeep CJ7 with PPG, i also used a flattening agent on the hardtop. That was with base coat/clear though. Just remember to not ever apply a wax or polish to a paint if you flatten it out, otherwise it's going to look weird in some spots.
OP
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
 
Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
UTC quote
whodatschrome wrote:
Many years ago when i painted my jeep CJ7 with PPG, i also used a flattening agent on the hardtop. That was with base coat/clear though. Just remember to not ever apply a wax or polish to a paint if you flatten it out, otherwise it's going to look weird in some spots.
I can see that with a really flat finish but would it be a problem with a semi gloss or satin? It is my understanding that the affect is from refraction of light on the material within the coating. Like the flakes in a metallic paint.
UTC

parallelogramerist
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5258
 
parallelogramerist
Joined: UTC
Posts: 5258
UTC quote
Moto64 wrote:
I can see that with a really flat finish but would it be a problem with a semi gloss or satin? It is my understanding that the affect is from refraction of light on the material within the coating. Like the flakes in a metallic paint.
I do not know about how a wax or polish reacts with all the different sheens, but i assume it's going to make anything that's less than a gloss more shiny? Perhaps there's some sort of dull coat was that's out on the market that's specifically designed for dull coat finishes?
OP
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
 
Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
UTC quote
For years I used primarily semi gloss, satin or rubbed finishes on the furniture and cabinetry I built. I think gloss on wood looks stupid. I do know you can't polish a satin varnish to shine. Also, the additive ( silica, I think) weakens the coating. High gloss is the hardest.
I am thinking now of just going with the straight paint and knocking it down with some 1200-1500 but I may try a sample of the additive first to see how it looks. .
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
 
Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
UTC quote
Here's standard gloss on the right and 3 to 1 with the flattener on the left.
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@moto64 avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
 
Molto Verboso
@moto64 avatar
'64 Motovespa 150S (177) , '65 VBB, '66 Allstate SF, '66 180SS
Joined: UTC
Posts: 1897
Location: S.Salem, NY
UTC quote
BajaRob wrote:
Here's standard gloss on the right and 3 to 1 with the flattener on the left.
One part flattener to three parts (paint+reducer+hardener) ?
25% of the total mix ?
@bajarob avatar
UTC

Addicted
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
 
Addicted
@bajarob avatar
1961 VS5T, 1981 P200E, Rigid Frame Chopper, 2001 Harley FXDXT
Joined: UTC
Posts: 955
Location: Ventura, CA
UTC quote
Moto64 wrote:
One part flattener to three parts (paint+reducer+hardener) ?
25% of the total mix ?
3 paint to 1 flat then treat that as the paint and add reducer and hardener as normal. 😁
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee
 

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com


All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.


[ Time: 0.0112s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0030s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]