OP
UTC

Hooked
Piaggio MP3, Italjet Dragster , Sachs MaddAss, Honda Gyro S (2), Corbin Sparrows (3), JZR, Trihawk, Freeway, Grinnall Scorpions (6),Ca

Hooked
Piaggio MP3, Italjet Dragster , Sachs MaddAss, Honda Gyro S (2), Corbin Sparrows (3), JZR, Trihawk, Freeway, Grinnall Scorpions (6),Ca
UTC quote
I got a little carried away today, working on my MP3. I examined the air filter system carefully, then called my local VESPA mechanic in Ft Lauderdale. I am frustated with my scooter, as it has been grounded for FOUR WEEKS waiting for a new antennae receiver to come from Italy. FOUR WEEKS ! My scooter is grounded, my warranty is ticking away.......
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by emillio on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: air filter
KISS ....I am trying to simplify things on the scooter, reduce weight, improve perfprmance
⚠️ Last edited by emillio on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: simplify
simple filter system
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
KISS
KISS
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
UTC quote
Might be worth putting a oil catch tank of some sort on the breather pipe on the head as a lot of oil spray can come out of there at times... and you dont ideally want it spraying over the engine and possibly the back wheel!
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: cylinder breather
I already put a hose and ran it down to the ground for any blow-by that might happen ! I will create some kind of a scoop to catch and force air into the drive/belt system to keep it ventilated.

Thanks .

em
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I'm surprised you're that willing to throw away the remarkable 2-year warranty.
UTC

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2

Molto Verboso
PX200E X 2
UTC quote
no way
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: warranty
I have been waiting 5 weeks for a failed part to come from Italy ! If something fails on the scooter you might as well sell it as is and get another one (or die waiting for yours to get fixed ! )

I have not found scooter Dealers to be very professional. I have to take my broken scooter 75 miles to get it fixed, and the mechanic has absolutely NO TRAINING FROM PIAGGIO ! NONE ! He told me he was working on lawnmoors last year and now he is a scooter mechanic (with NO TRAINING !)....

It is easier for me to have them send me the part and I will do the work myself...

I built all 6 of my Grinnall Scorpions (they came from the UK in crates) and I assembled them myself. you need to keep busy when retired so I am my own mechanic !

warranty....useless!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Out of interest, why do they think it's an antenna problem? They have been known (very rarely) to go open-circuit, but if the immobiliser won't recognise the keys it's usually a faulty decoder.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: antennae
they plugged the magic box up to it and that is what it showed. They have 4 other scooters dead from the same faulty part. waiting for parts from Italy !

5 weeks I (and the other people) have been waiting

the GTS 250 has the exact same part but they won't let us have the part out of those !

I am pissed !

warranty ? sure.....

so long as you don't need it .
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
intake
much cleaner and simpler than the stock airbox !
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Re: re: antennae
emillio wrote:
they plugged the magic box up to it and that is what it showed. They have 4 other scooters dead from the same faulty part. waiting for parts from Italy !
Oh dear, the diagnostic box will always point at the aerial first - but there is no way it can distinguish between a faulty aerial and a faulty decoder. The aerial is cheapest, but the decoder is the usual culprit. Decoders can't be re-used from any bike that has already been programmed, but a 'virgin' one can be substituted to check functionality - it's also a damn sight easier to swap out than the aerial. If the new decoder appears to want to be programmed, then you are set to go. A dealer should always have at least one on the shelf.

I also note that there doesn't seem to be a central parts distribution in the US - we would be severely inconvenienced in the UK if there wasn't a nominated parts depot (Fowlers of Bristol). We can get any in-stock parts the next day, it is very rare to have to wait for delivery from Italy which can take months. Beware of August, Italy closes down for the duration.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: aerial
is the aerial the little thing next to the ignition ? THAT IS WHAT FAILED ! I swaped it out to check.......
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
OK, fair enough! You didn't say you had checked by substitution.

You can always wind your own, it's just a few turns of wire. They can also be repaired with care, the break is normally where the rather stiff wire goes into the hard plastic moulding. The coil itself should be fine.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
naked front end
still waiting for the antenna so I keep building my naked MP3
@ufo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250

Molto Verboso
@ufo avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
Emillio..I was wondering since working on the front end, what is your opinon on the wear points and under normal use how long you think before certain parts would wear out? Thanks..Oh...who is your helper in the picture? Lending a paw..
⚠️ Last edited by ufo on UTC; edited 1 time
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: wear out
excellent question !

let me look at this stuff and get back to you. IMMEDIATELY I would say the vertical locking mechanism .....electric switches and cables and calipers......

the safety system built in to these things are just gremlins waiting to happen.......and you will need to get to the dealer with his computer gizmo to solve the puzzle........

I am putting it back together starting today (while I wait for the key for the other MP3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

ez
@nyle avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@nyle avatar
UTC quote
Re: re: cylinder breather
emillio wrote:
I already put a hose and ran it down to the ground for any blow-by that might happen ! I will create some kind of a scoop to catch and force air into the drive/belt system to keep it ventilated.

Thanks .

em
I would run a hose up as high as you can on the body and put a little uni filter on the end, then when oil comes up the hose it can drain back in after the motor is shut off. If it is lower then the motor it will lose oil for sure.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: where do I start ?
finally painted but where are the directions ?
@traum avatar
UTC

Hooked
the Piaggio trike

Hooked
@traum avatar
the Piaggio trike
UTC quote
Ooooo~ Those white wheels look GOOD!

-Rick
UTC

Enthusiast
MP3

Enthusiast
MP3
UTC quote
Emilio

check your state's lemon law. you may have recourse. if not the Magnussen ???? law will give you recourse to get satisfaction from the dealer.

I wonder about your comment on the untrained mechanic and the fact he has diagnosed 5 bikes with the same problem. that sounds odd since we have not heard of the MP3's having many of that fault. however if the substitutuion from your project bike works, why wouldn't you leave the part on your regular ride until at least the project was back together?
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: substitution
the part is # 638 534

antenna for Immobilizer

same for either GTS or MP3

I call EVERY DAY looking for that part !

now I am calling/faxing the main Piaggio Office in NYCity !

the part is not available in the USA ?????????????

TODAY I will have my good MP3 together (I Hope) and I will use the other's antenna.....

but an owner should NOT have to buy a wreck so he has spare parts !

Varsity Cycle(three Piaggio Dealerships) tells me they have a number of owners waiting for that part ! I am not the only one ! Maybe another Dealer might stock the part ?

Antenna For Immobilizer....
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
As a temporary measure, why not extract the chip from the master key, wrap 100 turns of small gauge enamelled copper wire around it and connect that into the decoder. Wrap with tape and cable-tie in place.
@jmd avatar
UTC

Addicted
2019 BV 350

Addicted
@jmd avatar
2019 BV 350
UTC quote
Re: re: warranty
emillio wrote:
I have been waiting 5 weeks for a failed part to come from Italy !
I am also waiting for an antenna to arrive. Please report when yours gets there.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
I'm actually quite staggered you guys have to wait for these standard 'possible failure' parts. Perhaps MV could invest in our own spare parts inventory.

I have a spare aerial (antenna) here, at home. A swap-out test one to help diagnose a fault - t'was decoder though. Picked up from local dealers just 5 mins away, cheap. I'm not offering it to anyone else, I've six bikes here which use it as a common part! It may one day be needed in anger.

I think you guys should kick up stink about your spares situation.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: stink
I have been faxing the "consumer Owners complaint" office all week, four or five times per day.

I have left voice mails.

and NOTHING !

You all better hope and pray this does not happen to you for some silly little part.

WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER !

Perhaps EVERY MP3 Owner should call /fax / email the office in NYCity and complain.

IF THIS IS HAPPENING TO US IT WILL HAPPEN TO YOU !

Call your local Dealer and ask them if this paRT is available ???

Part #638-534 Antenna for Immobolizer.

I gotta tell ya THIS SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!

Brand new $1,000. Ferrari red paint on my scooter..........and it sits absolutely DEAD ! Because the do NOT have a replacement part in the USA.

sucks..............

em
@traum avatar
UTC

Hooked
the Piaggio trike

Hooked
@traum avatar
the Piaggio trike
UTC quote
Emil, have you ever considered ordering from overseas yourself? Judging by Jim's posts, it seems like parts are quite readily available in the UK.

-Rick
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
And in the Netherlands...

Try Fowlers (UK) http://www.fowlers.co.uk/parts/

Or Easyparts (NL) http://www.easyparts.nl/changelanguage.php3?action=change&changelanguage=en

Or any of the myriad Singapore dealers.

Piaggio Italy are the place of last resort, really, leave them to the seasoned dealers who can bludgeon them with sales forecasts.

If you really have difficulty getting parts from any of the above, try some trusted UK dealers (who may get the parts from the above, but have arm-twisting techniques).

Clue: http://tscoot.co.uk aka http://www.piaggio-center.co.uk/
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Re: re: stink
emillio wrote:
Part #638-534 Antenna for Immobolizer.

I gotta tell ya THIS SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!
I agree with you. But have you tried winding your own, as advised above? It does work, honest guv. Self-help is often the best.
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: overseas
My wife is fromLiverpool, UK (she is over right now for a two week visit), and we go over a few times per year. I suppose I should get connected with a Dealer in the Liverpool area, bring him over some maple syrup (I am from Vermont originally for 35 years before I retired and escaped to Florida)....

I was working with a few Dealers in the UK to bring over a Fuoco before Piaggio announced plans for the USA ! But I am out of space ! Plain and simple no more room for any more toys ! We are buying property up in the Carolina Mountains, and I will haul 50% of my toys to the mountains !

My Can Am Spyder has arrived at the Dealers, But I have no room for it ! And I really wanted an automatic of some sort, and there are a lot of rumors what that might be ?? The MP3 has spoiled me, I don't need to shift to have fun.

The REAL challenge is you have to be ready with another toy so when you move one out of the garage, you IMMEDIATELY re-claim the space before someone else claims it for themself. Musical space in my garage.

Same thing at night watching TV, one of the dogs will pounce and claim the couch space for themselves.

emillio "woof woof"
OP
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
re: Naked MP3
the replacement steering tube arrived ($300.) and I am now putting back together the wrecked MP3.

throw a pillow on the engine (I'll have a heated seat !) and I should be zippin around soon !

emillio
@dudel avatar
UTC

Hooked
custom mini-motorcycle

Hooked
@dudel avatar
custom mini-motorcycle
UTC quote
Re: re: overseas
emillio wrote:
I really wanted an automatic of some sort, and there are a lot of rumors what that might be? The MP3 has spoiled me, I don't need to shift to have fun.
In addition to the MP3 you need to make room for the Aprilia 850 Mana and the Honda DN-01 with the new hydraulic transmission.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0242s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0120s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]