@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti

Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti
UTC quote
I hope I am not crossing the line here and get banned for this but I really need to get this of my chest.

What is happening with some people on the forum lately?
I see people opening topics to seek advice or to let people share in their way of enjoying their Scooter/Vespa.
Then all of a sudden the answers get hostile and people are judging them on the way they like to go about with their scooters.

We are all here because we love our scooters and we love to share that with others who know what we are talking about.
We also come here to seek advice if we need it.

I know a guy who owns a Vespa and has it standing in his living room all year long only to take it out for a short spin around the block about 3 times a year.
He loves it and is totally crazy about it.
Who am I to tell him to go and ride with it as much as he can?
This is his way to enjoy his scooter and I have to accept and respect that.
He has a Vespa scooter and is happy with it, what more do you need?

I found this forum when I was looking for information; I lurked around for a while and decided to join.
All because I like the spirit of the forum and the way people interact on this forum. And of course love my scooter.

There is enough tension and hostility in the world outside this forum.
So let's not spoil this community and keep this spirit alive.
Let everyone enjoy their scooter(s) the way they want and let's all be happy about it that there are so many of us all around the world, being able to communicate with each other thru this forum.

And Jess: Thanks for making this community possible
@kam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black GTS 250

Molto Verboso
@kam avatar
Black GTS 250
UTC quote
Spoken like a true 2CV driver

I couldn't agree more dutchman.

I think like all friends we sometime get into bickering and sniping just to elicit a response - I suppose it stops people feeling lonely.
UTC

Enthusiast
2007 GT200L MID NITE BLUE

Enthusiast
2007 GT200L MID NITE BLUE
UTC quote
Thank you for posting this!
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
UTC quote
Dutchman, I have to agree with you with respect to the hostility of the posts by some members lately. I have no idea why such behaviour is occurring recently. For some reason some MV members feel the need to berate others, this type of behaviour is not acceptable here. We are a community, we have standards, there is a certain tone that we wish to maintain here. Those who blatantly go against the community standards (posting guidelines) will be dealt with, this may be through a time out or a ban for repeat offenders. Modern Vespa has always been a place where we could ask questions and not be fearful of personal attacks not matter how simple our question may seem to be. New members and longstanding members should feel free to jump in and participate in helping one another without fear of being ridiculed about our questions or answers. This is the Modern Vespa that we strive to maintain.
@jonothan avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTV250ie, Vespa PX125 and a Vespa P125X 30 Anni Ultima Serie (and a biker too with a BMW R1200GS)

Hooked
@jonothan avatar
Vespa GTV250ie, Vespa PX125 and a Vespa P125X 30 Anni Ultima Serie (and a biker too with a BMW R1200GS)
UTC quote
Re: What is happening? [very forum related]
Dutchman wrote:
I know a guy who owns a Vespa and has it standing in his living room all year long only to take it out for a short spin around the block about 3 times a year.
Agree with what you say, Dutchman, but particularly love the above quote, because I would love to put my P125X 30 Anni in the living room to admire of an evening without having to go into the garage! I think my missus would have an opinion on that though!

Indeed, as I said in another thread, I have been criticized (not here, might I add) for buying this to "keep as best", purely for the joy of owning it.

But folk have opinions about what should and shouldn't be done and whilst it's their right to express that view, free speech and all, I agree with you that scooter ownership is whatever you want it to be.

J
@marcster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2000 Yamaha Diversion XJ600

Molto Verboso
@marcster avatar
2000 Yamaha Diversion XJ600
UTC quote
I would have to agree... There are a few trolls here who think nothing of stirring it up for the sake of stirring it up....

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I've received a few smart-assed remarks to some of my question threads. Certainly uncalled for and didn't help answer my question at all.

The tone of MV is pretty ugly some days. Certainly doesn't reflect well on scooter culture. External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

I wish that MV was the forum that Benito describes, but quite honestly, I haven't seen it... Maybe it was that way before I joined? Is that MV nothing but a memory? I do regard this forum as a hostile environment...
@bg avatar
UTC

Vespa LX150

@bg avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
HERE! HERE! to all of the above comments. I am new to this forum and the Vespa community. It was great to find the MV site but I was beginning to question how long it could sustain my interest - I'm not much interested in bar brawls even if it's dressed up to look like snappy repartee.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
0:7 And counting
UTC quote
Marcster wrote:
I wish that MV was the forum that Benito describes, but quite honestly, I haven't seen it... Maybe it was that way before I joined? Is that MV nothing but a memory? I do regard this forum as a hostile environment...
I'm pretty bummed that this is your perception. Not because I disagree, but because MV was, and is supposed to be, the friendly place that Benito described. It has become more hostile lately, although I don't think we've slipped to the level of stupidity found on the majority of internet forums.

I encourage every one of you to speak up when someone here acts in a way that makes this a hostile environment. Tell them so, or tell a moderator.
@raisin_hell avatar
UTC

Addicted
2006 Daring Plum LX 150

Addicted
@raisin_hell avatar
2006 Daring Plum LX 150
UTC quote
Marcster wrote:
I don't think it's that bad. There are a few contentious threads when the talk gets into (a) modern vs. old, (b) European vs. American, and (c) sexual innuendo.

But other than those few threads, I think MV is a very friendly place! I've PMed with a number of members (anyone: feel free to PM me at any time) and I've had a great time here.

MV is fun, friendly, and informative. I've bought all sorts of stuff based on members' recommendations.

Don't let a couple of bad apples get you down.
@benito avatar
UTC

@benito avatar
UTC quote
I am hoping that you guys know that there is a way of reporting posts that seem inappropriate for various reasons. You will find that each post has a button at the top right corner. The button has an exclamation mark in it [!], if you click on it the moderators will be sent a message to view that post, we can then deal with it as deemed appropriate. There is no reason that we the members of Modern Vespa need to tolerate these unnecessary attacks. For the most part MV has been a self moderated forum however, there will be instances when certain people will post inappropriately. These posts need to be dealt with to maintain MV as a great forum and a great resource for scooterists.
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
I think the new moderators have brought a stronger sense of community. They have been fair and not involved in creating strife. Fortunately they have lives and can't catch every goofy putz acting out.....

(recovering goofy putz....)
@platinum_ghost avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTS >past> Vespa P200E / Suzuki Savage

Hooked
@platinum_ghost avatar
Vespa GTS >past> Vespa P200E / Suzuki Savage
UTC quote
This is still the best forum I belong to on the net hands down. Close second is VWVortex. Keep up the good work everyone, and "Be excellent to each other!" - Bill S. Preston Esquire (I think...)
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
UTC quote
I am not trying to mix it here but...

I like MV as it is, and even if there is a little squabbling or piss taking then that is simply human. If that became routine then MV would suffer.

I like the threads which have banter on them, it is part of the reason to come here. I don't often see people being directly rude to each other here, it is courteous for the most part.

People are being told to be careful if they offend, I think that posters here should also not overract to comments made. Sometimes people are offensive but mostly here it is good natured mick taking, not malicious comment.
@happy_jack avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'88 Vespa P2

Enthusiast
@happy_jack avatar
'88 Vespa P2
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:

I like MV as it is, and even if there is a little squabbling or piss taking then that is simply human. If that became routine then MV would suffer.

I like the threads which have banter on them, it is part of the reason to come here. I don't often see people being directly rude to each other here, it is courteous for the most part.

People are being told to be careful if they offend, I think that posters here should also not overract to comments made. Sometimes people are offensive but mostly here it is good natured mick taking, not malicious comment.
I would agree with you Wonder Machine !

As long as people are not directly offensive, banter is FUN Laughing emoticon
@benito avatar
UTC

@benito avatar
UTC quote
I'm glad that you guys feel that for the most part, save a couple of recent threads, that this is still a great place. I think that considering the huge membership here it is amazing that it is as great a place as it is. Many forums of this size aren't such great places to ask questions and get information. Let's keep it the fun and informative place that MV has always been and still is.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
Some of the pot stirring may not be so innocent. Our own NapaCoach posted a link from MV on the bbs just the other day. The purpose of the post was to show how stupid Modern Vespa riders are. He linked the thread about trailering your Modern Vespa long distances. Is it any wonder that thread got so contentious?

While I believe Matt posted it on the bbs because he thought it was funny, I think we have a few (very few) people who have joined here from the bbs if for no other reason than to mock and stir the pot.

On a more positive note, the BBS has recently decided not to tolerate MV basing anymore, and the moderators have removed some of the posts, including Napa's.
⚠️ Last edited by Quasi-moto on UTC; edited 1 time
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e

Addicted
@dru avatar
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e
UTC quote
Unfortunately, it's the season.

I've run boards and online environments for 20 years, and every year, from early to mid November until early February, the general level of hostility goes up dramatically. I've always believed that it is stress related, and that most people don't even realize they are doing it.

Benito is correct though, in general, this is a group that has maintained itself without heavy moderation to a much greater level than I've seen on most boards (and I read about 15 boards on a daily basis)
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie, '22 Primavera 150

Hooked
UTC quote
First, forums tend to deteriorate during the months of November and December. Blame it on holiday stress, or dark days, your in-laws, or whatever, but it is a regular happening.
Marcster wrote:
I've received a few smart-assed remarks to some of my question threads....
The conversations on MV are innocent sweetness compared to the shark infested waters in other motor vehicle related forums.
Marcster wrote:
...Certainly doesn't reflect well on scooter culture...
A scooter is a tangible thing, culture is a state of mind which doesn't always come from a mind in a good state. I vote for less culture and more Vespa.

Btw, 'smartass' is waaay better than dumbass.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
I think he's on to something...
I've been noticing the cagers are driving even more impatiently than usual.

"Tis the season to be jolly" Laughing emoticon
@happy_jack avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'88 Vespa P2

Enthusiast
@happy_jack avatar
'88 Vespa P2
UTC quote
Excuse my ignorance, whats the BBS forum
@roadbum avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
'07 LX150

Molto Verboso
@roadbum avatar
'07 LX150
UTC quote
I think with freedom comes the responsibility of tolerance. I don't mean people acting like idiots and getting away with it because we all choose to look the other way or something, but that the term "banter" that Wonder Machine used really fits the bill.

We can be nice, and if we want, use the emoticons so it'll be clear what we mean. I get the feeling we're a more polite society than the bbs draws anyway. We can be proud of that. Decorum I think they call it?

Jess, keep up the good work.

ps Is it just me or have some of the old posters who I used to love to read faded away?

Harv
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Happy Jack wrote:
It's a re entry site for juvenile delinquents who have been recently released from detention and ride scooters.

Seriously, it's another board for scooters with all the abuse, innuendo and childish behavior MV is generally without.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
It's the dark side, Happy Jack. Just kidding, it's a bbs that's been around for 10 years or so, and has a reputation for good vintage information and lots of drama and conflict.
@happy_jack avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'88 Vespa P2

Enthusiast
@happy_jack avatar
'88 Vespa P2
UTC quote
louisq wrote:
Happy Jack wrote:
It's a re entry site for juvenile delinquents who have been recently released from detention and ride scooters.

Seriously, it's another board for scooters with all the abuse, innuendo and childish behavior MV is generally without.
Oh well, if its that good i'll just stay here ! Laughing emoticon with this, the VCB and our own forum i have all the fun i need !
@messycoloring avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LX 150

Ossessionato
@messycoloring avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Happy Jack wrote:
International Scooter BBS

this should help

Did everyone jump ship from Int'l Scooter BBS here??
@eenie816 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4

Addicted
@eenie816 avatar
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4
UTC quote
this place is very tame compared to other forums, nothing really ugly about it. people disagree, plain and simple. i think some people are just a little too pampered and overly sensitive.

i've said before do what my friend tells me to do...just take your top off it will make you feel better. Razz emoticon
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport
UTC quote
I'm with Raisin Hell and Wonder Machine; it's not so bad on this forum at all. This place is still THE place to go for decent info regarding modern vespas. Not even the BBS can say that. And Len was right, e (eric) who's administering the BBS while SE (the Jess of the BBS) recovers from cancer surgery, HAS been cleaning out the Modern Vespa bashing stuff.
@geo-vesp avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883

Ossessionato
@geo-vesp avatar
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883
UTC quote
have to agree, something has changed here for 'me' - was recently offended at a post, didn't say anything to the moderaters and I just went away (tried)... The thread was eventually locked and has gone away - one non-intented attempt at a funny isn't anothers. Anyways, I tried a week without looking at MV but can't help looking to see if a couple of issue's that I've had with scooting have come up, so continue to look. I think it is a good place here (thx Jess for all the work) and I will continue to scan (lurk) for issues that I have. Just will probably be 'mum' going forward.

I love my scoots, that will not change, ever! Man, it's cold here, just plugged the scoot in after my last ride for a bit, not sure how long it will be before I get to ride again. Now why did I move from San Francisco?
@david_h avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 LX150 SILF Midnight Blue

Addicted
@david_h avatar
06 LX150 SILF Midnight Blue
UTC quote
dru_ wrote:
Unfortunately, it's the season.

I've run boards and online environments for 20 years, and every year, from early to mid November until early February, the general level of hostility goes up dramatically. I've always believed that it is stress related, and that most people don't even realize they are doing it.

Benito is correct though, in general, this is a group that has maintained itself without heavy moderation to a much greater level than I've seen on most boards (and I read about 15 boards on a daily basis)
Interesting - I could see that. I figured everybody was just cold and mad that they're not riding as much right now. I am....stupid frost.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Cheers to MV
Yes I also agree with Wonder Machine. I love Banter, and really try to have a post that might for some be fun to read. I dont try to hurt people or talk down to them. Still some people take things the wrong way. My humor is not always understood.

For instance I could say something like, I agree with Wonder Machine but thats mostly because I still have a crush on her Avitar. What I am really saying is I enjoy her posts and agree with her.

I guess I could use more Emoticons and that could help.

I have seen some direct attacks of MV and really that dosent happen much.

To top that off we have some new Moderators. They are doing a really good job. Only they are not pulling the trigger as fast as maybe they should. I think that just comes with a little time. It's a hard job to moderate. Sometimes I see a post and think oh shit I know where this is going. I guess I can step up and hit that button when I seeing it going sideways. I already try to do that by popping in a post that redirects the subject. I dont know if its noticed or not.

Anyway you know this is the most friendly fourm out their. If you dont know that tale a look around.

Cheers to MV!
Lucky~
Wonder Machine wrote:

⚠️ Last edited by Lucky Bastard on UTC; edited 1 time
@kam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Black GTS 250

Molto Verboso
@kam avatar
Black GTS 250
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:

Well said WM.
@coley avatar
UTC

Addicted
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)

Addicted
@coley avatar
'83 PX125E (little Red) / '09 Fuoco (unnamed)
UTC quote
Re: What is this supposed to mean?
[redacted]

I have to agree, the stereotype is not entirely true, at least not for Downtown Toronto. I think in the last two years I've been cut off by more cabbies (male) and BMW drivers (male) than women in SUV's.

Just last night I witnessed a jerk in a Mercedes verbally lose it on a streetcar driver for stopping a few feet short of a stop and letting the doors open - costing him an apparently valuable 20 seconds in his rush to get home. Of course he proceeded to stop traffic for an additional 30 seconds to dispense said verbal diarhea.

Some drivers are just stupid idiots... not just the quintessential cell-phone wielding soccer moms.

Three chears for MV! Let's keep it civil.
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
there is no hope for peace in the middle east if people can't even not argue about scooters.

chad
should probably be the secretary of state
@dchernikoff avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!

Ossessionato
@dchernikoff avatar
Vintage Red 2007 GTS, 2022 Mazda Miata soft-top (4-wheel MC)!
UTC quote
I didn't know about the exclamation mark thingie in the corner. Good to know, thanks for posting that!

There are two things we can all do to keep the hostility to a minimum here:

1) If someone answers your question or post with hostility, just point that out with a "that wasn't very nice" comment, and don't say any more. It could be they didn't mean it like it sounded -- things like sarcasm or irony don't work well in a written forum and are easily mis-interpreted.

2) Don't take the bait! Respond ONCE if you have to, to someone's mean comment, then DROP IT. Let them have the last word. A lot of the time the trolls are just trying to get your goat and to get you to argue. If we don't argue with them they will get bored and go away.

3) (Okay, there are three things, not two). Have a thick skin. Choose not to be offended by things. The less we react and "fight back", the sooner the argument will die down and normalcy will return.

-Dan
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Do...
Do you really think that their will ever be peace in the Middle East?
Not until the sands have turned to glass my friend.
Lucky~
chad wrote:
there is no hope for peace in the middle east if people can't even not argue about scooters.

chad
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
Re: Do...
Lucky Bastard wrote:
Do you really think that their will ever be peace in the Middle East?
Not until the sands have turned to glass my friend.
Lucky~
chad wrote:

chad
there could be peace, but like you said, it would involve a lot of airplanes and rocket fuel.
@breturi7 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Avio Gray GTV

Ossessionato
@breturi7 avatar
Avio Gray GTV
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:

+1

Having made my own bitchy comments lately in an otherwise non-controversial thread, I sure as hell know I handled the seemingly confrontational situation in the wrong way. Lesson learned. From now on if I have a beef with anyone (which really is rare), it's either PM it or forget it. No need to bring the rest of the thread down. So, yeah, sorry if I've contributed my share to the general bah-humbuggery lately.

From now on if I come across a post that really raises my hackles I'll simply sit back, take a deep breath and think WWLD: What Would Lucky Do?

That said, I have to mirror everyone else by saying of all the forums I've belonged to over the years this has got to be the friendliest and most easy-going lot I've come across.
@lomunchi avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2020 Honda NC750DCT

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@lomunchi avatar
2020 Honda NC750DCT
UTC quote
I think some people have bad memories, or nostalgia is a powerful softening agent, but these types of threads could be scheduled on this forum every couple of months or so....

We're a family, families squabble, I once went 3 years without communicating with my sister. Pretty stupid, huh?

It's too cold to ride and we're all running out of nasty things to say about Rachel Ray so I guess we get restless...
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
breturi7 wrote:
From now on if I come across a post that really raises my hackles I'll simply sit back, take a deep breath and think [i]WWLD: What Would Lucky Do?
Remove the pork chop?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Excellent idea!
breturi7 wrote:
From now on if I come across a post that really raises my hackles I'll simply sit back, take a deep breath and think WWLD: What Would Lucky Do?

+1
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0234s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0037s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]