UTC

Ossessionato
Avio Gray GTV

Ossessionato
@breturi7 avatar
Avio Gray GTV
UTC quote
lomunchi wrote:
I think some people have bad memories, or nostalgia is a powerful softening agent, but these types of threads could be scheduled on this forum every couple of months or so....

We're a family, families squabble, I once went 3 years without communicating with my sister. Pretty stupid, huh?

It's too cold to ride and we're all running out of nasty things to say about Rachel Ray so I guess we get restless...
If anyone wants to throw stones, here's your target:

I'm actually warming up to Rachel Ray...or at least her brand.

I know, pretty ridiculous, right? Except my wife subscribed to her magazine and, me being the main cook in our family, I have to say that there are some really decent recipes in there. Even after making her dishes vegetarian-friendly, her magazine's recipes are much tastier than the ones we were getting out of Vegetarian Times.

That and the fact that she's never pretended to be a chef and I'm sloooowly becoming a convert.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
I think this is an unfortunate part of the growth of the forum. Most of the big, interesting questions about our scoots have been asked and answered. Specific technical questions are quickly dispatched. We know what that rattle is or why your scoot won't start.

But a lot of people get addicted to the community, validation, recognition, banter, etc. and now they don't have nearly as much to talk about. Note that a lot of the pot-stirring and sniping is coming from members with over 1K posts and that a lot of it is also occurring in NSR threads. (I'm not entirely innocent here and will admit I have trouble letting things slide.) Then there are people getting ganged up on for asking honest, scooter-related questions. There's really no excuse for that-it goes totally against our purpose for being here.

I also think some of it comes from a clique mentality. But when the older members and mega-posters start behaving badly, it sets a very bad precedent for newer members.
@wetspeed avatar
UTC

GTed4LIFE
'05 GT200

GTed4LIFE
@wetspeed avatar
'05 GT200
UTC quote
H O L I D A Y S will do it every time...

Worst than the tide effect caused by the full moon.
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
UTC quote
Re: Do...
Lucky Bastard wrote:
Do you really think that their will ever be peace in the Middle East?
Not until the sands have turned to glass my friend.
Lucky~
chad wrote:
there is no hope for peace in the middle east if people can't even not argue about scooters.

chad
should probably be the secretary of state
"There is no profit in peace" OCS

I never knew there were so many sensitive types. Of course there is no room for sexist comment here, and shouldn't be. However, it's amazing to see how light banter can quickly become distorted by a few, if we fail to use these guys.
8) Laughing emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon ETC.

The coffee skit was well out of order, by the way.

I stopped posting for a wee while due to some PM's i received. Which left me speechless.

We all agree that Jess has done a great service by providing a site directed mainly towards modern scooters. I for one am grateful, and have decided to let my finger linger over the submit button, make a cup o' tea before sending my response.

This thread just might become the largest so far as i am sure we all have 2 pence to spend.

Cheers
@en82pg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer

Ossessionato
@en82pg avatar
2010 PIAGGIO BV 500ie Tourer
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
I think this is an unfortunate part of the growth of the forum. Most of the big, interesting questions about our scoots have been asked and answered. Specific technical questions are quickly dispatched. We know what that rattle is or why your scoot won't start.

But a lot of people get addicted to the community, validation, recognition, banter, etc. and now they don't have nearly as much to talk about. Note that a lot of the pot-stirring and sniping is coming from members with over 1K posts and that a lot of it is also occurring in NSR threads. (I'm not entirely innocent here and will admit I have trouble letting things slide.) Then there are people getting ganged up on for asking honest, scooter-related questions. There's really no excuse for that-it goes totally against our purpose for being here.

I also think some of it comes from a clique mentality. But when the older members and mega-posters start behaving badly, it sets a very bad precedent for newer members.
A very cogent, apropos take on the maturation of this forum.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
What I find fascinating is the move of our culture toward creating an 'offensive free world'.

There is no such place, yet some have been given the notion that it should and SHALL exist.

This is a 'mind virus', a sickness of the culture, IMHO.

Only you, yourself can determine if you are offended, and it IS a choice.

In reality, very little is offensive any more, unless one decides they need to be 'offended'.

But then again I choose to sell veggies and ride my scooter.

So can we all have a group hug?

Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon

ROFL emoticon

R

8)
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed that even this thread was headed into a downward spiral.

I've cleaned out the sexist remarks, including the responses.
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
What I find fascinating is the move of our culture toward creating an 'offensive free world'.

There is no such place, yet some have been given the notion that it should and SHALL exist.

This is a 'mind virus', a sickness of the culture, IMHO.

Only you, yourself can determine if you are offended, and it IS a choice.

In reality, very little is offensive any more, unless one decides they need to be 'offended'.

But then again I choose to sell veggies and ride my scooter.

So can we all have a group hug?

Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon Razz emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon

ROFL emoticon

R

8)
Mate, I love where your head is. I hug too
@1jettajim avatar
UTC

250 GTS ,Triumph T110, 66 Bonneville, Suzuki Intruder

@1jettajim avatar
250 GTS ,Triumph T110, 66 Bonneville, Suzuki Intruder
UTC quote
What is Happening?
I am new to this site and was attracted to the friendly atmosphere and plenty of good information.

My feelings were hurt by a members response to the 1st post I made.

I failed to notice that the post I was responding to referred to the sighting of Vespas in San Diego. I guess I was so excited to talk about seeing another Vespa in my location that I failed to notice the post was for San Diego not Klamath Falls Oregon!! (seeing another Vespa in this one horse town is an event!!) It was my fault of course but it was hard for me to dare another post due to my embarrasment.

Lets keep it light hearted and fun. That is what attracts most of us to this site. Don't cut other people down. Remember some of us are pretty thin skinned! Have fun everyone.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
For the record: I cannot and will not guarantee that MV will never be offensive to anyone. There have been a few times when someone came to me and said they were offended, and I had to turn them away because the offense wasn't very substantial. At least one person actually left MV because I wouldn't pull a thread that they were offended by.

However, the moderators will remove posts that are broadly offensive to a large number of people. Sexism falls squarely into the "broadly offensive" end of the spectrum.
@quasi-moto avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
SawStop

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@quasi-moto avatar
SawStop
UTC quote
One contributing factor to the difficulty is that there are people with widely different views of what kind of talk is acceptable.

Political correctness is fine until the definition changes and puts you on the other side of the fence. On some issues I'm on the right side of the fence, while on other issues I'm on what is considered to be the "wrong" side of the fence.

I always get irritated when people say it, but it has some truth to it: if you think you might not like the topic or the tone of the thread, use discretion and don't go there. Also, having been here for a while now, there are certain members whose posts one can almost predict will venture off in a given direction. Once you learn the ropes, it's easier to choose your topics.

In all cases though, new members with legitimate questions should always be treated fairly, and without rancor.
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e

Addicted
@dru avatar
UTC quote
David H wrote:
Interesting - I could see that. I figured everybody was just cold and mad that they're not riding as much right now. I am....stupid frost.
David H wrote:
Interesting - I could see that. I figured everybody was just cold and mad that they're not riding as much right now. I am....stupid frost.
Just ignore the frost, buy a good flyscreen and cold weather gear and keep riding .

It may sound strange, but I adore riding this time of year. This morning it was 29 degrees, all the grass and trees coated in that glistening/glittering frost, rolling in to work is fun. Sure, it's a little cold, but with some prudent clothing choices, it's comfortable, and the air is so crisp you really can't beat the experience.

Now that said, about the windscreen, I'm serious. Last year I rode my Kymco People 250 all winter, but it's puny little stock windscreen, my neck and hands *really* struggled on days below 40, even in my full on cold weather gear (wool scarf, double layered jacket (armored leather base, vinyl/rubber outter 'rain-coat' for wind and warmth), TourMaster winter gauntlets). This year, behind the Givi 401 on my BV500, I have yet to need the scarf, nor the outer jacket (except for rain), and I'm wearing my TourMasters on cold days, but still without my underarmor glove liners, and I'm guessing I won't need them for at least another 10 degrees.

FWIW, last year, my low was 13, and that was only because that's the coldest it got . This year, I've had to readjust my route to work so I can pass a bank with a temperature on it's sign, so I can get photo evidence
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Len Smith wrote:
In all cases though, new members with legitimate questions should always be treated fairly, and without rancor.
+1
@qtsreign avatar
UTC

Hooked
07 GTS gleaming black

Hooked
@qtsreign avatar
07 GTS gleaming black
UTC quote
A book that has helped me cope with life:

'The Four Agreements' by Don Miguel Ruiz

Ruiz outlines and expands on four agreements that if applied to life, make it much more bearable. These agreements are:

1. Be Impeccable With Your Word
2. Don't Take Anything Personally
3. Don't Make Assumptions
4. Always Do Your Best

Simple, yes, but quite sensible and effective.
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@dru avatar
UTC quote
Jess, thanks for the intervention, and I'd like to take a moment to invite others to take a step back and think about the things we take offense at.

Many times, the written word is a poor venue to portray the nature of tone of the intended communication. When talking, to someone, a hundred little signals communicate intent and tone, sarcasm, humor, anger, frustration, defensive, aggressive behaviors that simply don't translate to the written word. Because of that, the most often problem in an online venue, is that someone is offended by a bit of written word that was written with no hostile of malicious intent, or with a huge dose of humor that failed to translate. (Try working software support via email sometime for a rude awakening to what offensive written word is ).

Many times, we use emoticons to a point where the eye sees them, but the brain doesn't make the translation, other times, we try to articulate the emotion, and fail.

It is a fine line to walk, and unfortunately, one that takes more discipline than some of us are blessed with by nature (me for example, it's taken me 10 years of working as an independent software developer and vendor to develop the discipline to not hit send as soon as I finish an email, and to preview and reread before I hit send).

The same practice should be a part of the process of posting. Hit Preview, read what you wrote, and understand, that if you are willing to post something that may be offensive to another, you sacrifice your right to be offended by something someone else wrote. We all have our little quirks and things that offend us, and that's great, it is what adds to our character, but sharing those anytime some tweaks one of them is a sure path to anger, frustration and flamewars. I've seen too many communities go the way of the dodo bird due these very issues.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
While I agree with the helpfulness and friendliness of this site and am glad it's not something like dongoose mentions in:
You guys are great. Really.
I think healthy debate should not be chastised, people will have different opinions on something and if they can express it without becoming nasty or rude, then there is nothing the matter with it. As far as being offensive, people will always find something to be offended by.

The "sexist" comments that were on this thread may have been stereotypical, nevertheless true. Someone who is distracted on the road with a phonecall and in a huge SUV with less visibility is definitely MORE of a hazard to a scooterist than someone paying attention to the road and in a vehicle with more visibility.
Whether or not those people in the SUV's are women may depend on the area you live in. In my area, at least, that is definitely true and therefore it is merely a statement of fact.

Some people find truth harsh and even offensive, not that it's absolutely necessary to voice the truth (especially if you are aware that it indeed might offend people), but there's certainly nothing wrong with it.
@gliderguynj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX150

Hooked
@gliderguynj avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I have to admit that I'm pretty disappointed that even this thread was headed into a downward spiral.

I've cleaned out the sexist remarks, including the responses.
Jess I have to agree with the original posters take on the forum. I was one of your first members and this place has changed. I left it for a while and when I signed back on I felt like I was on a different forum.

A fair amount of the negative, sarcastic, sexist posts come from a very few people, of which some have replied to this thread already. One in particular seems to do the most amount of damage.

Jess, still this is the best scooter forum on the net, and it was inevitable that the small community you once had would change, and perhaps it is a common personality trait among many scooterists to try and be sarcastic at the expense of others.

It wasn't funny in Junior High School, and now I just shake my head. Grow up already.

Doug
@marcster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2000 Yamaha Diversion XJ600

Molto Verboso
@marcster avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
I agree.... I read a few of the posts in this thread and thought to myself: "I wonder if Jess just wants to turn the forum off for a week..."

It seems that the tone of MV is more of an issue than I thought. External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
⚠️ Last edited by Marcster on UTC; edited 1 time
@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
I suspect this thread is just trolling for compliments for Jess and the great job he is doing. We all know this is the best scooter site around and one of the most helpful and friendly places on that interweb thingie.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Thank You~
Thats a very kind thing to say.
I have always enjoyed your posts. Your mad skills with Photoshop totally crack me up. This place wouldent be as fun without you.
Lucky~

Crap now Spock is gunna say Big Hugg time or something
breturi7 wrote:
[if I come across a post that really raises my hackles I'll simply sit back, take a deep breath and think WWLD: What Would Lucky Do?
@ufo avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
MP3 250

Molto Verboso
@ufo avatar
MP3 250
UTC quote
I think everyone should chip in and get Jess a nice Christmas present and tell him it's from Santa...Wonder what he would like?
@messycoloring avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
LX 150

Ossessionato
@messycoloring avatar
LX 150
UTC quote
Re: Thank You~
Lucky Bastard wrote:
T

na

messy's going to say it's time for cupcake

and hell I'll even you give you the recipe

http://www.beyondwonderful.com/recipes/desserts/pies/grasshopper.htm
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
ufo wrote:
I think everyone should chip in and get Jess a nice Christmas present and tell him it's from Santa...Wonder what he would like?
My first (sarcastic) thought was "peace on earth".

Truthfully, though, all I really want is peace on MV.
@marcster avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@marcster avatar
UTC quote
ufo wrote:
External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text & External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
OP
@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Gilera Fuoco 500 Verde Chianti

Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
UTC quote
Why can't I leave you guys alone for a while.

I posted this thread during my lunch break and took a look at it just before I went home.
Now just a few hours later you are already far on page 2.

I am glad that most of you took it very well.
For me the forum was not at a stage that I did not like it anymore but I saw a couple of things going down hill. With this topic I wanted to get people to think about what they where saying and the way they did it.
I think it worked.

I never anticipated that it would get so many reactions though.

So for me, this topic turned out to be a big succes.
Especialy because someone has even mentioned cupcake.

Thank you all for understanding what I was trying to do here.

I love this forum and its comunity
if any of you get to the Netherlands, let me know and come visit me.
I even bake you an apple cupcake
@gliderguynj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX150

Hooked
@gliderguynj avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Yo Dutch....
Forget the cupcake, I want the spacecakes!
Doug
OP
@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
UTC quote
gliderguynj wrote:
Yo Dutch....
Doug
That is so 70 s, I had those during my highscool times, we even had a teatcher eat it as well. He got sick though
Its al mushrooms todayi hear
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2002 ET4 & 1980 100 Sport

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
Lucky Bastard wrote:
I have always enjoyed your posts. Your mad skills with Photoshop totally crack me up. This place wouldent be as fun without you.
Lucky~

breturi7 wrote:
[if I come across a post that really raises my hackles I'll simply sit back, take a deep breath and think WWLD: What Would Lucky Do?
Ok, Naked hug time. I'm assuming you're first in line Lucky?
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
spock, do you have a milk-crate on the back of your vespa?

(whoops, I probably should've pm'd this)
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
No Way
Spock has the Milk crate that holds the lawn chair.... Razz emoticon
Yea Totally Kidding~
Lucky
salazam wrote:

@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
salazam wrote:

I'll wait until Vespa starts to brand their own milk crates before I get one. Hopefully they'll match up the colors.
@spock avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@spock avatar
UTC quote
Re: No Way
Lucky Bastard wrote:
Yea Totally Kidding~
Lucky
salazam wrote:

You must be referring to the guy that I call "Yardsale".
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Re: No Way
Ha.... Thats the guy.
Lucky~
spock wrote:
Lucky Bastard wrote:
Yea Totally Kidding~
Lucky
salazam wrote:

You must be referring to the guy that I call "Yardsale".
OP
@dutchman avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@dutchman avatar
UTC quote
Are you sure it wasn't some guy with yellow glasses en long gray hair?
@gliderguynj avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa LX150

Hooked
@gliderguynj avatar
Vespa LX150
UTC quote
Dutchman wrote:
gliderguynj wrote:
Yo Dutch....
Doug
That is so 70 s, I had those during my highscool times, we even had a teatcher eat it as well. He got sick though
Its al mushrooms todayi hear
I was there in 84, pretty close! I ended up in Amsterdam on Queens Day, walked out of the train station and had no idea it was a holiday. I thought it was the absolute greatest city in the world. After a while I realized it wasn't like this every day! As the Hyundai commercial says....DUH

Doug
@benito avatar
UTC

2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150

@benito avatar
2010 Dragon Red GTS 300 Super, 2018 Grigio Titanio Piaggio Liberty S 150
UTC quote
dchernikoff wrote:
I didn't know about the exclamation mark thingie in the corner. Good to know, thanks for posting that!

There are two things we can all do to keep the hostility to a minimum here:

1) If someone answers your question or post with hostility, just point that out with a "that wasn't very nice" comment, and don't say any more. It could be they didn't mean it like it sounded -- things like sarcasm or irony don't work well in a written forum and are easily mis-interpreted.

2) Don't take the bait! Respond ONCE if you have to, to someone's mean comment, then DROP IT. Let them have the last word. A lot of the time the trolls are just trying to get your goat and to get you to argue. If we don't argue with them they will get bored and go away.

3) (Okay, there are three things, not two). Have a thick skin. Choose not to be offended by things. The less we react and "fight back", the sooner the argument will die down and normalcy will return.

-Dan
Dan I like your suggestions on how to deal with things on MV, I agree with them 100%.

I mentioned the exclamation mark button because the moderators aren't always able to read every single post as they arrive, who could. If there is something really offensive using it will bring it to our attention really quickly and we'll be able to have a look at it.

Someone else posted that there are a few new moderators and that is true. It will take a bit more time before we get used to how it works around here and act a bit more quickly to things. When I see something "off" I'm not reacting to it as quickly as I would on the other forum I moderate because I'm still the newbie here.

It is too bad that some of the longstanding members aren't posting as much as they used to. I believe MV is still the great place it has always been. With such a large community there will always be some issues to deal with, I believe that is quite normal. Growing pains perhaps?
@breturi7 avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Avio Gray GTV

Ossessionato
@breturi7 avatar
Avio Gray GTV
UTC quote
Lucky Bastard wrote:
Lucky~

Much appreciated, Lucky. Now I feel all warm and fuzzy inside...quite different from the evil that usually pulses through my veins.
Sing along time, everybody!

"All you need is love! All you need is love! All you need is love, love. Love is all you need."

(Now all this topic needs is for Stan to come by and tell me that the Beatles are overrated. Then the fur will really fly. )
@corinthian avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250

Molto Verboso
@corinthian avatar
GTS 250
UTC quote
spock wrote:
salazam wrote:

I'll wait until Vespa starts to brand their own milk crates before I get one. Hopefully they'll match up the colors.
the Vespa Branded crates will be out of stock with a 3 -9 month shipping date (subject to change with out notice). The mounting instructions will be unreadable and missing parts.
@jimeckes avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV250 Portofino Green

Enthusiast
@jimeckes avatar
GTV250 Portofino Green
UTC quote
Hey! I posted the original "trailer" thread that spun out of control.
I think it's important that free and reasonable discourse be allowed. Healthy debate is always good in a free society and we shouldn't get our feelings hurt if someone has a different opinion than ourselves. With that said, I was a little bummed at the responses I received initially. I thought it was a legitimate question and the replies were not answering my question, just lecturing me about riding not trailering. Fortunately, JimH hipped me to the context for all the rancor and I was able to see it for what it was. In the end, I got what I needed...and then some.

Until that post, my relatively short life on this forum has been nothing but pleasant and informative. I love the good natured banter and the witty repartee and I'm thrilled to be here!

Jess, love the site. Take heart and hang in there.
UTC

Hooked
GTS300ie, '22 Primavera 150

Hooked
GTS300ie, '22 Primavera 150
UTC quote
Benito wrote:
It is too bad that some of the longstanding members aren't posting as much as they used to.... Growing pains perhaps?
Knowing the boundaries as moderator is a tough call. If you over-moderate, part of the membership will be bored and leave. If you under-moderate, another part will be offended and leave. It's the founder's choice which crowd to pander to. If you want growth [revenue], less can me more when it comes to control. Whatever develops will be a consensus of the topic which may not be ideal, but it will be interesting.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0288s ][ Queries: 5 (0.0062s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]