@mod80 avatar
UTC

Hooked
2008 LML 125

Hooked
@mod80 avatar
2008 LML 125
UTC quote
just one thing to say : i've found my favorite forum; it is THIS one; i'm afraid in France vespa-clubs don't like a lot modern vespa and a lot of vespists have a state of mind very "closed"; i've found here differents states of mind, differents way of "scootering" or "vesparing" and i found it wonderfull, really long live modern vespa forum and comunity 8)
@jamesegio avatar
UTC

Addicted
vbb, lx,

Addicted
@jamesegio avatar
vbb, lx,
UTC quote
it's my favorite, too. i loves looking at photos of different scoots and stuff.

there's also a lot of useful information as well.

sometimes no one can answer your particuar question, but they try and that's cool.

i really don't think there's too much that's offensive here. there have been some silly threads, but i just skip over them.

who has time to read all these things?

ya, know?

salute

james
@rex avatar
UTC

Rock Star
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Rock Star
@rex avatar
Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
UTC quote
Maybe I should write a song...
@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
Rex wrote:
Maybe I should write a song...
What's the status of Vespa Vespa? Are they going to use it in commercials? Are you going to sell it on iTunes?
@2011super avatar
UTC

Banned
2021 GTS 300 Touring

Banned
@2011super avatar
2021 GTS 300 Touring
UTC quote
I found this thread very interesting and I could understand people's concerns in both directions. I guess I like people who are passionate and this is a passionate group. I lean towards allowing people to say what they are thinking and feeling as long as it does not hurt someone else directly. I would like to see more empathy towards others feeling while getting your point across with a little less policing. It would make Jess's job easier and it would make this forum a better place.

I started out here about a year ago and was a little rough around the edges and have learned alot since and try and think before I write.
@godoggo avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 GT200

Addicted
@godoggo avatar
06 GT200
UTC quote
personal verbal discomfort
This is the pre-curser that a very, very large soft drink company spent $$$$$$$ on.............

............. COUNT TO 1,2,3,4,......10 BEFORE YOU SEND !

Sometimes i will send emails to myself........then take a look at them a little while later.........you sometimes will be shocked by how words can be interpreted. Try it sometime......or don't that's your choice just like it is your choice to be a part of MV ! I think it rocks. Everyone has a different sense of "humidity"....... Laughing emoticon

Godoggo

ps: And Jess......you rock also !
@no_cattle avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2005 ET2 70cc, 14 mirrors, 2 headlights, lots of LEDs and a 2005 GT200 restored after a crash, 1978 SIL Lambretta GP200 and a 1983 Cushman Truckster

Molto Verboso
@no_cattle avatar
2005 ET2 70cc, 14 mirrors, 2 headlights, lots of LEDs and a 2005 GT200 restored after a crash, 1978 SIL Lambretta GP200 and a 1983 Cushman Truckster
UTC quote
This is a very nice, very tame forum. I don't get worked up here at all. And generally, in most forums, I'm considered the jerk. I admit to having a potty-mouth. Jerk wasn't my first choice word for how others might describe me... but I hold certain opinions about things I won't back down from.

I would hate to see an MV forum that was all pat on the back self congratulatory and boring. Diversity is spice. While it's a modern vespa forum, I welcome both the vintage and non-Vespa mates point of view. In fact I like all kinds of diversity.

Bitchyness, however, is a matter of perception. It says as much about the offender as it does about the offended. I don't need an emoticon to read intended dry/drool humour into someone's entry. Other's might. Personally I don't care one way or the other, but I reserve the right to find it funny all around.

Banning isn't up to me. I'm not a mod around here. I don't make the rules or call the plays. To me the line should be drawn at the "-isms" as in racism, sexism, etc. But I like the no-helmet talk rule too.

Winters will always draw out the worst in scooterists. In the North it's cold and snowing. It the west it's cold and raining. In the UK, it's still raining. As Vespa folk, we're itching to ride. Itchy becomes bitchy fast for some unexplainable reason.
UTC

Addicted
bv 250

Addicted
bv 250
UTC quote
I am learning kindness from the unkind and tolerance from the intolerant.
@charlesm avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
GTS 250ie (Nicked) GTS300 Super (Sold before nicked), 2001 PX (green)

Molto Verboso
@charlesm avatar
UTC quote
Kam wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:
I am not trying to mix it here but...

I like MV as it is, and even if there is a little squabbling or piss taking then that is simply human. If that became routine then MV would suffer.

I like the threads which have banter on them, it is part of the reason to come here. I don't often see people being directly rude to each other here, it is courteous for the most part.

People are being told to be careful if they offend, I think that posters here should also not overract to comments made. Sometimes people are offensive but mostly here it is good natured mick taking, not malicious comment.
Well said WM.
I agree totally with this. It is however funny that it seems to be us Brits who think more like this. Guess it's just our sense of humour/irony perhaps.

I have rarely seen things go too far and even then they often seem to get back on track sooner or later as most people here realise that there is more to life.

It is just a bike (ooh, now that is a little contentious, but it is) and what I think of it or the culture should have zero impact on other members and visa versa. After all, we are all separated by long wires and satellites.

Happy Holidays!

Charles.
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant
0:7 And counting

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
charlesm wrote:
I agree totally with this. It is however funny that it seems to be us Brits who think more like this. Guess it's just our sense of humour/irony perhaps.
I vanpool with an expat Brit, and on our long drive home last night, prompted by a couple of comments on this thread, we had a chat about this subject. I asked her if she thought she had a dry wit and/or thought of herself as sarcastic. She paused for a moment, thought about it, and said "Well, I used to. Since I've lived here, though, I've definitely toned it down a bit, and I don't really think of myself as being all that sarcastic any more". (or something very much to that effect).

I continued on that subject, and she explained that she had to consciously tone things down somewhat because it was getting her in trouble with her US friends and coworkers, who were ill-equipped (or just unaccustomed) to the severity of her wit.

I'm a pretty sarcastic bastard myself, so I can pretty much understand her problem. Americans, on the whole, are not immersed in that particular flavor of biting wit on a constant basis. We can certainly adapt, and some pockets of the US population are certainly more accustomed to it than others. Still, our humor tends to take a different (and more literal) form.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix
UTC quote
jess wrote:
charlesm wrote:
I vanpool with an expat Brit, and on our long drive home last night, prompted by a couple of comments on this thread, we had a chat about this subject. I asked her if she thought she had a dry wit and/or thought of herself as sarcastic. She paused for a moment, thought about it, and said "Well, I used to. Since I've lived here, though, I've definitely toned it down a bit, and I don't really think of myself as being all that sarcastic any more". (or something very much to that effect).

I continued on that subject, and she explained that she had to consciously tone things down somewhat because it was getting her in trouble with her US friends and coworkers, who were ill-equipped (or just unaccustomed) to the severity of her wit.

I'm a pretty sarcastic bastard myself, so I can pretty much understand her problem. Americans, on the whole, are not immersed in that particular flavor of biting wit on a constant basis. We can certainly adapt, and some pockets of the US population are certainly more accustomed to it than others. Still, our humor tends to take a different (and more literal) form.
The varying degrees of sarcasm recognition have led me to develop an incredible innovation: the sarcasm tag, as first utilized here. It's my hope that with further development and field testing, the [sarcasm] tag will clarify communications between members of forums worldwide, bringing a greater sense of understanding and bridging the sarcasm gap between cultures. I heartily encourage others to begin using it here and elsewhere in order to help propagate its use throughout the web-o-sphere and to do their part for world peace.

Usage is simple:
[sarcasm]These meta-forum threads are my favorites because I learn so much about other people that way![/sarcasm]
The tags don't actually alter text in any way, but they're still in beta.
@monza avatar
UTC

Addicted
63 VNB

Addicted
@monza avatar
63 VNB
UTC quote
Happy Jack wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, whats the BBS forum
you dont want to know.

Its alot like this video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RmgBdvjWp9s
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC quote
The British do have a dry sense of humour, but I don't think it is aggressive. Simply being sarcastic to someone you don't know can truly get their back up very quickly.

It is part of the culture here, going to the pub and ripping it out of your mates. I think a bit of this pub culture is here on MV and it is generally a good thing. I think the change that needs to happen here on MV is that you should think about who you banter with, and if they get it. If they don't or won't then don't do it.

Simply being sarcastic because you disagree with someone about how they ride is plain rude, it is not wit. That is not banter, it is just being nasty.
@eenie816 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4

Addicted
@eenie816 avatar
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4
UTC quote
jess wrote:
charlesm wrote:

i notice a difference in sarcasim between the north and south. i grew up up north in a very sarcastic smart ass family, but live in the deep south now and a lot of times people just don't get my sense of humor, online or in person. you add after it and they still don't get it.
@jimeckes avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV250 Portofino Green

Enthusiast
@jimeckes avatar
GTV250 Portofino Green
UTC quote
I think the sarcasm and/or good natured ribbing, nudge, nudge, say no more, thing is perfectly acceptable. I think if your mate is having you on, it's almost a way of bonding and we Americans sometimes are too sensitive to that. I for one am all for it, though! I've called many a person on this forum a "Bastard" and I don't think anybody has taken it literally. But I think I can tell when someone is not being kind in their sarcasm that's where I think we need to be careful. Our passions can't get the better of us.
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
"Do the Americans get irony?"

"Yes, we get irony loud and clear. However, we don't waste too much time contemplating it. By the way, calling a plain white dog 'Spot' is not ironic, it's just stupid."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3433375.stm
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
The British do have a dry sense of humour, but I don't think it is aggressive. Simply being sarcastic to someone you don't know can truly get their back up very quickly.

It is part of the culture here, going to the pub and ripping it out of your mates. I think a bit of this pub culture is here on MV and it is generally a good thing. I think the change that needs to happen here on MV is that you should think about who you banter with, and if they get it. If they don't or won't then don't do it.

Simply being sarcastic because you disagree with someone about how they ride is plain rude, it is not wit. That is not banter, it is just being nasty.
Thanks for a great post (another!). it must be the long legs..... Laughing emoticon long on legs long on logic? Eyelashes emoticon
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
no cattle wrote:
Winters will always draw out the worst in scooterists. In the North it's cold and snowing. It the west it's cold and raining. In the UK, it's still raining. As Vespa folk, we're itching to ride. Itchy becomes bitchy fast for some unexplainable reason.
..and this far South we are riding our Vespas to the beach for a picnic and a swim and we're all chilled out Razz emoticon

Nice thread BTW - I feel some clarity has been achieved for a number of people.

Happy Holidays
@morvran avatar
UTC

Addicted
2008 GTSie and 1986 T5

Addicted
@morvran avatar
2008 GTSie and 1986 T5
UTC quote
Of all the forums I frequent, this is one is easily the most tame (and unabashedly helpful) one. Most people here are very genuine, and their pashion for scooters and the entire cutlure shows through. During my search for a vintage scoot I was so surprised (and fortunate) to have so many people lend me a helping hand in my selection process. I've even had folks randomly send me things in the mail, on their own coin, in response to posts I've made asking for help.

Anyway, all things considered this is a pretty damn nice place to unwind. Good folks, good advice, and of course, great cupcake.
@geo-vesp avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883

Ossessionato
@geo-vesp avatar
PX150 Serie America, T5 Classic, Harley Iron 883
UTC quote
too clarify, by no means was i offended at any comments posted - it was a pic for me (my issue) and quietly went away (stepped back), my feelers where never hurt, just looking in from a different perspective now. I agree with many and Boulty - this is a 'good place' and I couldn't stay away as there is sooo much info on MV!

I'm a dual cit - American and British - interesting above regarding irony/dry sense of humor/etc - lived overseas for a bit and being back on American soil for sometime, I lost something in translation over time but my sense of humor is still kinda dry. Will be in England in a few weeks so will be interesting to see if I pick up from where I left off.
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC quote
louisq wrote:
Wonder Machine wrote:

Thanks for a great post (another!). it must be the long legs..... Laughing emoticon long on legs long on logic? Eyelashes emoticon
I have to think hard, it takes much longer for blood to reach my brain as a consequence of the legs. My best work is done lying down. Ahem.
@no_cattle avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@no_cattle avatar
UTC quote
I don't know how anyone can be thin skinned on a Vespa/scooter of any kind. If you're that sensitive, may I suggest another mode of transportation... A Harley Davidson perhaps would suit your frail state of mind.

If you find yourself offended that someone would have the gall to suggest riding your Vespa 400miles, rather then trailering it, relax, have another shot of Kool-Aid (straight up but not too sweet)

(No emoticons, but overt sarcasm rather then the more subtle brand)
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
2005 Dragon Red Vespa ET4 Speedster

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
Is it time for me to say anything, yet?

No. OK, I'll wait.

Just so you know, I'm not British....
UTC

Hooked

Hooked
UTC quote
Re: What is happening? [very forum related]
[quote="jonothan"]
Dutchman wrote:
I know a guy who owns a Vespa and has it standing in his living room all year long only to take it out for a short spin around the block about 3 times a year.
Does he decorate it for Christmas with lights, and popcorn on strings, and ornaments?

Merry Vespa Christmas!
@tomjasz avatar
UTC

Grievance Farmer

Grievance Farmer
@tomjasz avatar
UTC quote
Wonder Machine" [quote="Wonder Machine wrote:
I have to think hard, it takes much longer for blood to reach my brain as a consequence of the legs. My best work is done lying down. Ahem.
Ah the female advantage....no SUV to interrupt the flow.....
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC quote
louisq wrote:
Wonder Machine" [quote="Wonder Machine wrote:
Ah the female advantage....no SUV to interrupt the flow.....
Loving your work, louisq!
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
weenies
@oscillator avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Rally 200

Molto Verboso
@oscillator avatar
1974 Rally 200
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Truthfully, though, all I really want is peace on MV.
"And good twisties for scooterists."

Hey, I have been censored only once - is that a Good thing or Bad thing?

\osc
@crackhead avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T

Ossessionato
@crackhead avatar
Aprilia Sportcity Cube 250ie, Stella 2T
UTC quote
salazam wrote:
weenies
Are you a StellaSpeeder? No wait, that would be ninnies
@charlesm avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso

Molto Verboso
@charlesm avatar
UTC quote
Well I am glad I was getting closer to the point then.

Whether it is sarcasm, irony, dry humour or any other form of English slanted wit - I am sure this does cause some issues.

As for ericalm's [sarcasm] tag, at first view I thought "What a great idea" (please note no use of the tag here at all), I then thought, in general, if you don't get it you just don't get it. If you have to point out sarcasm then it sort of defeats the object.

Have you ever had one of those conversations when you say something, someone reacts in a strange way and you have to say "I was just being sarcastic" it is like having to try to explain the punchline of a joke, it just does not work.

What is perhaps more of the issue is that we are all in one large room having a conversation with hundreds of people but sometimes posting to certain people directly (all be it for others to hear). Whilst the original recipient of the "jibe" may take it the right way, the others wade in thinking something else.

Also, at what point in an "online relationship" do you "know" someone well enough to wind them up?

There, a whole post from me without any sense of sarcasm or irony.

Am I cured? [sarcasm]Yes, totally.[/sarcasm]

Charles

PS: May I be so bold as to suggest a V2.0 of the sarcasm tag and change it to [sarc]
⚠️ Last edited by charlesm on UTC; edited 1 time
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
If irony has to be pointed out - oh never mind.
@sir_john_luke avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS i.e. 250

Hooked
@sir_john_luke avatar
GTS i.e. 250
UTC quote
Seems to happen on lotsa forums today.
People get addicted, and want to post anything...
Remember my topic "You dont have to, you know..."
@jess avatar
UTC

Petty Tyrant

Petty Tyrant
@jess avatar
UTC quote
Sir John Luke wrote:
Believe me, we all remember that post.
@happy_jack avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
'88 Vespa P2

Enthusiast
@happy_jack avatar
'88 Vespa P2
UTC quote
This thread is tops btw, its like a bunch of people from many different walks of life sitting together having a few drinks and a laugh with there Vespas all parked outside.

Fantastic ROFL emoticon

Dont think you will find that on many other forums, that i think describes MV to a tee
@cincinnati_john avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
'07 GTS-250ie - sold and gone

Ossessionato
@cincinnati_john avatar
'07 GTS-250ie - sold and gone
UTC quote
Maybe we need a "no offense; just being sarcastic" emoticon...
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
You really want that? I would expect that to be taken as a hypothetical question, but maybe the more literal audience doesn't read it quite the same way...

OK, if you want to be sheep.
@jerryg avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@jerryg avatar
UTC quote
jess wrote:
Sir John Luke wrote:
Believe me, we all remember that post.
ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon ROFL emoticon

cupcake
@jimeckes avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
GTV250 Portofino Green

Enthusiast
@jimeckes avatar
GTV250 Portofino Green
UTC quote
Cincinnati John wrote:
Maybe we need a "no offense; just being sarcastic" emoticon...
I don't know, that's like the person at work who says "just kidding" after every joke they make. The joke is immediately not funny.
But then, you were probably being sarcastic, right?
@jonothan avatar
UTC

Hooked
Vespa GTV250ie, Vespa PX125 and a Vespa P125X 30 Anni Ultima Serie (and a biker too with a BMW R1200GS)

Hooked
@jonothan avatar
Vespa GTV250ie, Vespa PX125 and a Vespa P125X 30 Anni Ultima Serie (and a biker too with a BMW R1200GS)
UTC quote
A few years back, we had some friends over from West Virginia to stay with us in Lincolnshire. We'd met them on a cruise from Florida to the Bahamas the previous year.

And the humour was the main thing that both astounded and amused them.

After a meal in a rather indifferent pub near York, when we sat down back in the car I said something like "Well, we'll be rushing back there for lunch, won't we?" and Pat looked at me. "How do you know how to do that?" he said. "What?" I asked, puzzled. "Using sarcasm just like that." said Pat. "You British are such experts at it." Now this surprised me not a little because I have found New Yorkers to be far more scathing and derisory in the use of sarcasm, but according to Pat, the British use is more subtle and far, far more amusing. I suppose it's so much part of life over here that we don't realise we're doing it half the time.

Mind you, we took our American friends to York to see the Minster and wander around the city. We were strolling through the Shambles, a narrow street of 14th and 15th Century buildings, still being used as shops and offices, and on a warm spring day, we were very proud that our American friends were seeing England at its very, very best.

We turned to Pat, Martha and their daughters. "Lovely, isn't it?" I said.

"Yes!" Martha replied "It's just like Disney World!"

Honestly!

Like I say, two cultures and one common language - well, almost.

J
@jamesegio avatar
UTC

Addicted
vbb, lx,

Addicted
@jamesegio avatar
vbb, lx,
UTC quote
british accents are "hawt!"
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0439s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0241s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]