OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa Primavera

Lurker
Vespa Primavera
UTC quote
Crying or Very sad emoticon

I'm a moron and didn't even know a Master Key was a thing. I've been using it since I got my Vespa about a year ago as my main key, purely by chance because it's what I grabbed to put on my carabiner.

Now I've misplaced my keys. I feel like it MUST be in my house somewhere but I'm starting to lose hope. In looking up how to get a replacement key just so I have backup... I learned about the Master Key and how you're supposed to keep it safe.

I am a ding dong. Biggest concern is I dropped it somewhere I go often and someone now has it waiting to see me park and lock my bike up again (the ring has the key for the big chain I use too, of course).

Anyways, given that I have the non-master key, is there any good way to replace the master? Or is it biting the bullet and paying the $3-400 that I see mentioned elsewhere on the forums?

Debating whether or not to treat it as burned if I can't find it just in case someone has it... seems like a risk.
UTC

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300

Molto Verboso
Vespa GTS 300
UTC quote
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first post, even if the occasion is unpleasant.

You can have the blue driving key cloned, then at least you'll have a replacement. When cloning, there is a residual risk that the clone will not be reliably recognized/function. And doesn't solve your worries that someone has the master and could hijack your Vespa.

A new master key (which can be used to program other driving keys) can only be created with a new or virginized ECU (there can only ever be one (1) master on an ECU).

It's best to keep searching and find...
@abner_bjorn avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250

Molto Verboso
@abner_bjorn avatar
2007 GT200, 2008 Yamaha C3, 2009 BV250
UTC quote
I bought a BV250 with only the blue key. For $55 Sportique Scooters cloned it. I've been using the cloned key for 10 months with not a hiccup. I believe it's a T5 chip in there. Not a big deal. Don't be so hard on yourself.
@steelbytes avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@steelbytes avatar
2019 GTS300 Supertech E3 60,000km
UTC quote
A reminder to all reading this thread: go find your own master key - better now than when you need it
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
I have a GTS 250 in my garage right now that belongs to a friend that was in the same situation. Best would be to find the Master key, of course. You can have the blue key cloned as mentioned for a back up. AF1 racing does this as a service for $40 plus shipping both ways.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
2007 LX150 2015 GTS (on the bench) 2017 BV 350

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
As above, just go for a clone. Good chance you won't even need that, though I have misplaced my keys already and took months (over winter) to find again. I fortunately did have a master which makes things quite a bit easier.

Don't feel bad about the loss. You're not the only moron here!
I swear, for a while I was on alert for not one, but two different items...I'd find one, then something else would go missing. Facepalm emoticon Fortunately it's been quiet here lately. Whew emoticon
OP
UTC

Lurker
Vespa Primavera

Lurker
Vespa Primavera
UTC quote
Thank you all! Yeah, I just couldn't believe it - I was just googling around looking into getting a replacement and then saw all the Master Key stuff haha, it was a good opportunity to laugh at myself a bit!
@petercc avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012

Molto Verboso
@petercc avatar
Piaggio Beverly 300 ie - 2012
UTC quote
popoulis wrote:
Thank you all! Yeah, I just couldn't believe it - I was just googling around looking into getting a replacement and then saw all the Master Key stuff haha, it was a good opportunity to laugh at myself a bit!
I bought my second hand BV300 with the daily blue key (which is actually black) and 2 clone keys (that are blue). But without the master key.
All 3 keys work.
At the time I also did not know a Piaggio comes with a master key.

Anyway, with respect to the keys, don't worry too much about not having that master key.
You cannot make a clone key yourself, but any decent key shop can make one from your non-master key. Have 2 clones made and check if they work before paying. And store them in house.

You worry someone would find your master key. I think your chain lock key is a bigger worry, at least when a finder has bad intentions and manages to locate the scooter it belongs to.
You have a spare key of that chain lock? Dispose of the chain lock and install a new one, and you will be fine.
@fledermaus avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@fledermaus avatar
UTC quote
Don't sweat the master key...you'll find it eventually....

Likely a week after you sell/trade the scooter.... Crying or Very sad emoticon Crying or Very sad emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0081s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0019s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]