@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
I have the digital dash on my Vespa, not the analogue speed needle / dial.

My speed seems to be consistently 3mph above GPS. 31mph = 28mph real for example.

At 63mph (60mph), my Vespa cannot physically go any faster, even downhill. It feels I hit some sort of forced limiter.

1) When I hit this limit, is it an engine rev limiter or because the belt is at the extremes on the variator? For reference, this seems to be at 9300revs.

2) I've seen posts of the 155cc hitting 65-70mph. Is this because people are looking at a less accurate needle? Or does the 155cc have a higher top speed?

3) If the 155cc does have a higher top speed, then how?? The 155cc is the same stroke, but larger bore. I'd expect the rev limit to be the same, and the variator to be the same part? So theoretically, it should be the exact same top speed - just easier to hit it as there's an extra horsepower or two.
@znomit avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@znomit avatar
LX190 Friday afternoon special, [s]Primavera[/s], S50, too many pushbikes
UTC quote
The final drive gearing (between the clutch and the rear wheel) is different.
OP
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
Interesting! So does that mean they've given them similar acceleration but allocated the extra 2hp purely to top speed?
@motovista avatar
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti
GT 2.4

Veni, Vidi, Posti
@motovista avatar
GT 2.4
UTC quote
JakeM wrote:
I have the digital dash on my Vespa, not the analogue speed needle / dial.

My speed seems to be consistently 3mph above GPS. 31mph = 28mph real for example.

At 63mph (60mph), my Vespa cannot physically go any faster, even downhill. It feels I hit some sort of forced limiter.

1) When I hit this limit, is it an engine rev limiter or because the belt is at the extremes on the variator? For reference, this seems to be at 9300revs.

2) I've seen posts of the 155cc hitting 65-70mph. Is this because people are looking at a less accurate needle? Or does the 155cc have a higher top speed?

3) If the 155cc does have a higher top speed, then how??
The extra horsepower allows it to push the rollers further up into the variator and use the powerband of the engine to drive them faster.
OP
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
Thanks! Do you know if the Malossi 2000 variator will increase my top speed, or will it focus more on acceleration?

I'm not necessarily looking to be able to power my way to a true 65mph+, but there's been a few times downhill or in a slip stream that the limiter has clearly held me back.
UTC

Vespa Sprint 150 S, ex Vespa Elettrica L3 70 km/h

UTC quote
Hi, I have a 2022 Vespa Sprint 150 S (ie the 155cc) also with the digital TFT dashbord. Mine shows 107 kmh, equivalent to 67 mph on top speed, then the speed limiter kicks in.
I have ordered and received the Malossi 2000 Multivar kit from SIP, and will install this in a few weeks. According to what I've read the accelleration will improve the most, but also a bit on the top. It will be interesting to see!
OP
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@jakem avatar
UTC quote
Many thanks, very interested to see your results after you install the new variator!

Mine is also a Sprint S 2022 (but the 125cc)
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
UTC

UTC quote
I installed the Multivar variator kit today, along with a new drive belt since scooter has run 8500 kms. I believe the service interval for belt is 10k kms. Chose the Malossi drive belt, although that should not influence the final result. I followed Robot's video om how to install the kit and belt.

I have only test driven it around 2 kms now since it is raining for the moment, but I feel the result is impressive. The 30-50 kmh (20-30 mph) accelleration area is way faster, with notably higher revs. Also the 50-80 kmh (30-50 mph) area is so much faster. I did not try the top speed properly due to the rain, but with the original setup the top speed has been 107 kmh (67 mph) on the TFT display, maybe 108 kmh max but the the rev limiter then kicks in. Now I saw 115 kmh at some point, equalling 71.5 mph, on the display.

A highly recommended upgrade, as far as I can see! 🙂
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0110s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0050s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]