1977 P125x

@thetangerinedream avatar
1977 P125x
UTC quote
Quick recap of where I'm at:

- 1977 P125x
- bike has been in storage for ~12 years
- I rode it around the block every few years during storage
- about 2 years ago I got it out of storage, all the gas was replaced and it seemed to be running fine
- parked for last 2 years due to a broken stud on the front hub
- carb is always run dry before any length of storage

In the last week I replaced the front hub and was hoping it would kick over like it did a couple years ago. No go. Finally got it bump started but wouldn't rev, it died immediately. I cleaned out the jets and the carb and changed the gear oil. There was only a bit of gas left from 2 years ago (with stabilizer), so I added another 3L of fresh gas.

It will now occasionally kick over after 10-15 kicks but only when the choke is off. Twisting the throttle still results it is dying immediately.

Can anyone give ideas where I should start? Did I not get the carb cleaned out enough/properly? Is it the points ignition?

If there's any other information I can provide that would be helpful let me know.

Thanks
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
First check for a good, fat spark. If good, you could just remove the jets and clean, but it's not much trouble to remove to take off the carb and give a deep clean. If you are not getting a good spark with a new plug, take a look at the points. If they look corroded or torn up, you can file in a pinch, but you would better off replacing them along with the condenser.
OP
UTC

1977 P125x

1977 P125x
UTC quote
So, turns out there was no spark. Tried replacing the spark plug, still nothing.

Started looking at some wiring coming out of the stator plate because I noticed it looked worn, as soon as I touched it I noticed it wasn't connected anymore. This break was hidden behind the rubber boot covering the connection.

Once I got it reconnected, got a nice fat spark and it kicked over right away!

Thanks for the help! Still learning and wasn't sure where to even start.
UTC

Veni, Vidi, Posti

Veni, Vidi, Posti
UTC quote
Good to here you got it figured out. Those stators after awhile usually need a rewire as time and heat kill them slowly. Then the next thing you know, no spark and you're stuck on the side of the road........ Facepalm emoticon
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0090s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0026s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]