OP
UTC

Lurker
Pk50n

Lurker
Pk50n
UTC quote
I have a PK50n Vespa with a 19 19 E carburetor. Other than that, it appears to retain its original 50 cc engine (I just acquired the Vespa). It's quite fast, reaching speeds of about 50 km/h. Here in Sweden, this could be a concern since mopeds are legally restricted to around 40 km/h.

I'm wondering how I can confirm if it still has the 50 cc engine, considering the legal implications. Would someone typically install a 19 19 carburetor without making any other modifications?

Is a top speed of 50 km/h normal for a PK50 with standard parts?

Cheers!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Why bother? The police would have to go to huge hassles to prove your pk was not, as we call in the UK , classed as a moped not capable of more than 30mph, or 49.8kmh. Keep it as is, its safer on the road and other than your bike being seized by the police forensic mechanics, its never gonna happen. Yes, 50 kmh is standard speed for mopeds in the UK, for 16 year olds to drive; 30MPH is damn right dangerous slow, so 40kmh is ridiculous. I think the restriction is in the carb intake and the exhaust outlet. Just sticking a sito plus on it without the restrictor plate in the downward manifold (buy from sip) will make it pull 35-40 mph, 60kmh. Im not sure if 19.19 is standard carb for your pk, but there were many different PK flavours. for example, my spanish PK XL75 has a 20L ETS carb on it as standard. Leave it as is and claim ignorance from the wind making you go faster. Has it still go the Horse power plate under the fuel tap and max speed, is it a British import as these will do bang on 29 mph standard.
@bananasplit_00 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
PK125XL elestart

Enthusiast
@bananasplit_00 avatar
PK125XL elestart
UTC quote
If it is registered as a moped and has a plate then 45km/h, no plate 30km/h.

Not that this has ever stopped any food delivery driver or motor interested teen though. Can't say I have ever heard of a moped being pulled over for speeding, only various stupid things like mounting a jet engine or having blue indicators ROFL emoticon

Not sure what it "should" do though, not familiar with the PK50 or any tuning of it, just the moped laws of Sweden Laughing emoticon
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Cant you stick a kit on it and register it as the kit CC and sell it on or use as is. You could stick a simple reliable DR80 or 102 (cheap to buy) on it, change the gearing, you got the 19mm carb already which is a good start. Would be a zippy about town scoot, good for 80kmh
@safis avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2

Ossessionato
@safis avatar
1979 P150X, 1983 P200E, 1987 PK125XL Elestart, 1988 T5, 1995 PX200E, 2011 Yamaha Fazer 600 S2
UTC quote
Laws in some European countries are super strict and if they catch you speeding with a modified scooter licensed as moped, you're f'ked…
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
SaFiS wrote:
Laws in some European countries are super strict and if they catch you speeding with a modified scooter licensed as moped, you're f'ked…
Im not suggesting you ride as a moped kitted up, but register it as the correct CC, and if you intend to sell it on. Or is it difficult to kit and register the engine change in some countries. in UK its easy to register CC over original capacity but not so easy to register below original CC as it can involve having a DVSA inspection and paperwork from garage to prove. E.g. registering a 150 as a 124 to be UK legal learner. Our UK police havent got the time to deal with anything like this, cars drive with illegal plates, lights, exhausts all the time, nothing ever done as they simply cant be bothered.
@bananasplit_00 avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
PK125XL elestart

Enthusiast
@bananasplit_00 avatar
PK125XL elestart
UTC quote
ferriswolf wrote:
Im not suggesting you ride as a moped kitted up, but register it as the correct CC, and if you intend to sell it on. Or is it difficult to kit and register the engine change in some countries. in UK its easy to register CC over original capacity but not so easy to register below original CC as it can involve having a DVSA inspection and paperwork from garage to prove. E.g. registering a 150 as a 124 to be UK legal learner. Our UK police havent got the time to deal with anything like this, cars drive with illegal plates, lights, exhausts all the time, nothing ever done as they simply cant be bothered.
It wouldn't be impossible, but absolutely not worth it. You would be into the paperwork and inspection costs further than a quite nice vintage Vespa before you see this on the road with a kit legally.

Especially as this would have to go from being a moped to a motorbike which is quite different legally.

Would also take the insurance cost from almost zero to a significant amount as you now have a motorbike with modified power output instead of a stock moped.
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Well I'm quite glad to be in the uk as it's so simple ; maybe our laws aren't so crap.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0101s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0035s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]