OP
UTC

Lurker
primavera

Lurker
primavera
UTC quote
I am new to all this but at the ripe age of 62 just really want to have fun on a Vespa .... the easy option is a 50 cc primavera but would i really regret this and should i do my CBT and get a 125 cc? i only intend to wander around locally for fun in the summer!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300
UTC quote
Get the CBT anyway, as you'll pick up some vital life-saving tips! So you might as well get a 125 - the 50 cc will be frustratingly slow (and perhaps hazardous) at times, especially in town traffic that'll nipping along at 40 mph.
UTC

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
UTC quote
I went for an older 2 stroke 50 as they tend to have a bit more grunt.
For around town it is great. Gets away from lights quick enough and goes fast enough to keep up with traffic , even up the hills.
The limiting factor for speed is the state of the roads with small wheels and speed cameras. Around the local area I don't think I would get anywhere quicker on a 125 and either would be quicker than in a car most of the time.
On A and B roads with 60mph limits then I definitely would prefer a bit more speed but I found it fine on the occasions I go on them.
Had mine 2 years and definitely don't regret it. The advantage of no tests and cheap insurance outweighs the few instances where I would want to go a bit quicker.
Plus the wife has a 50 (and doesn't want anything faster) so when we go out on them together (which accounts for most of the longer trips) i wouldn't be going any faster anyway.
I use mine all the time and rarely use the car now. Where I am parking is free for motorcycles and it's surprising how much shopping you can fit on and in a Vespa!
@rrider avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)

Ossessionato
@rrider avatar
Triumph Bonneville 2022, Triumph Street Scrambler 2018 (sold), Suzuki VanVan200 (sold), 2015 Sprint 125 (sold)
UTC quote
jimc wrote:
Get the CBT anyway, as you'll pick up some vital life-saving tips!
This is a good point. You can still get a 50cc, if you wish.

It takes some dedication to ride a 50cc scoot. You'd have plenty of situations, where other traffic goes faster, or would like to go faster.

If you're fortunate to live in area with little traffic and usually ride just a few miles at time, a 50cc can be fun. Fast or powerful they ain't.
@jakem avatar
UTC

Addicted
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc

Addicted
@jakem avatar
Vespa Sprint Sport S 125cc
UTC quote
I had a 50cc equivalent Vespa Elettrica, and then changed to a 125cc Vespa Sprint.

With the "50", I had to maximise my speed at all points - speed bumps at uncomfortable speeds, maximum speed through corners etc so as I could build a gap behind for the next straight, and wasn't a rolling road block. I would also try and plan rides when traffic was bad - as a 30mph road at night often becomes 40mph when there's only a few cars around!

The biggest difference with the 125cc was how relaxed I could ride. I could slow down on speed bumps, knowing I had the power, acceleration and top speed to match the traffic around me (and that's on 30mph roads). The 125cc has also allowed me to have much bigger adventures which I've enjoyed.

On a 125cc, you'll need a CBT and L plates. You also can't take a pillion, whereas you would be able to on a 50cc as it counts as a full (moped) licence.
@paluss avatar
UTC

Hooked
GTS300

Hooked
@paluss avatar
GTS300
UTC quote
Martin123 wrote:
I am new to all this but at the ripe age of 62 just really want to have fun on a Vespa .... the easy option is a 50 cc primavera but would i really regret this and should i do my CBT and get a 125 cc? i only intend to wander around locally for fun in the summer!
Unless you strictly ride in a congested city location, I agree with others that 50cc is going to struggle. Remember 50cc is going to top out at around 30 mph at wide open throttle, so it will get to 20 mph quick but will take some time to get to 30 mph.
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0108s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0019s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]