OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Vespa LXV 125

@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
UTC quote
I know there are lots of posts for similar issues, but having read them and tried the fixes I am still stuck with a bike that won't start 😤
I am in the process of cleaning up a very tatty and damaged LXV I bought last year. This weekend I removed the headlight to clean it up and then refitted. I was also cleaning up the cover by the kickstart and foolishly pushed the kickstart down a bit with my hand. Now it won't start. The brake light is not working and indicators don't work either, but they do when the cutoff switch is pressed.

I have replaced the brake lever switch.
I have checked 4 fuses and all look fine.
I've taken the battery out and given it a full charge.

I was now wondering about the wiring to the switches, but would that make sense when the indicators still flash from the kill switch? Could it be a relay?
The wiring does look pretty 'tinkered with', but from what I have seen I can only replace the handle bar wiring if I buy the switch modules!
Any ideas or suggestions will be very welcome!
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor
The Hornet (GT200, aka Love Bug) and 'Dimples' - a GTS 300

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
First, bypass the kill-switch. If you really want a kill-switch, you can buy a new one cheaply later.

Carefully check the operation of the ignition switch, and you need the brake lights to work with both switches.

If you don't have a multimeter - get one. It's very useful (if not essential) for diagnosing electrical stuff.
OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Vespa LXV 125

@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
UTC quote
I have got a multi meter, just not too familiar with using it 🤣
I've found 2 relays - 58002R, perhaps I'll try replacing those…
Checked the brake light bulb and it's fine.

Could the kickstart have caused an issue? It's the only thing I touched bar the headlight when it stopped running.
OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Vespa LXV 125

@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
UTC quote
Are there any other relays that could be the problem?
@jimc avatar
UTC

Moderaptor

Moderaptor
@jimc avatar
UTC quote
Crocko2 wrote:
I have got a multi meter, just not too familiar with using it 🤣
I've found 2 relays - 58002R, perhaps I'll try replacing those…
Checked the brake light bulb and it's fine.

Could the kickstart have caused an issue? It's the only thing I touched bar the headlight when it stopped running.
Have you checked the brake light switches? If the brake lights don't work, then you cannot start - the control of the starter relay uses the power available when the brake lights are on.

This isn't the place to give a tutorial on using a multimeter - there are plenty elsewhere online.
OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Vespa LXV 125

@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
UTC quote
Interestingly the problem has been solved temporarily! I took pretty much 'everything' apart including both brake switches, cleaned up all connections and removed a "fix" added by the previous owner and now it's running again! Having refitted things yet as going to get new switches.
I'm also gonna try and source new wiring and connections as it's in a real mess, lots of loose wires, unconnected plugs etc.
I knew this bike was gonna need some work when I bought it, but I'm starting to find more than I expected! Apparently it was a daily rider before I bought it - god knows how!!

Think I'd better learn to use my multi meter pretty quickly, it's gonna be needed!
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
Forum member supplied image with no explanatory text
OP
@crocko2 avatar
UTC

Vespa LXV 125

@crocko2 avatar
Vespa LXV 125
UTC quote
Pics are how it started, now the tape etc has been removed it's running and the brake switch working!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0828s ][ Queries: 4 (0.0546s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]