OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
For those of you who dare listen to music while you ride, what is the best way to do so? I use ear-buds (used to with my apple before it bit the dust) with my phone, but I have a hard time getting them to stay in my ears when I put my helmet on.

Are there certain earbuds that won't fall out? Are in-helmet speakers better? What's the word?
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
Re: Music and scootering
Yea go to the Long Beach International Motorcycle Show and have them make some custom ear plugs that have the ear buds built in.

I'ts the way to go for sure!

Lucky~
salazam wrote:
For those of you who dare listen to music while you ride, what is the best way to do so? I use ear-buds (used to with my apple before it bit the dust) with my phone, but I have a hard time getting them to stay in my ears when I put my helmet on.

Are there certain earbuds that won't fall out? Are in-helmet speakers better? What's the word?
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
How much do they cost? what do they look like? are they comfortable?
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
FYI, in CA you're only legally allowed to have one earbud in.
May want to convert all your music to mono if you want to stay within the letter of the law.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
I use the standard in-ear type just because I don't have helmet speakers, but the actual helmet speakers are better. A modular helmet really helps when using in-ears, because I can usually get a finger or two in there to adjust them after I have my helmet on. I've considered that higher end in-ears (m-audio, bose, ultimate ears, etc) would stay in better, but because most of them have a sealed fit, probably aren't the safest for use in traffic. This is also why I think helmet speakers would be better. I've been thinking about getting a regular pair of on-ear (not over-the-ear) headphones and popping them off the headband, then putting little velcro tabs inside my helmet to put them in. It would be WAY cheaper than a set designed specifically for helmet use. If you try this, however, remember to use the soft side of the velcro in the helmet, and the prickly side on the backs of the earphones, for comfort when they're not installed.
UTC

Banned

Banned
UTC quote
I think
I dident get them I have some that were made for me like 10 years ago that were close to $100.00 without the ear buds. But that was a totally old school compaired to now. They have a bunch of colors and normally you pick two different colors so you and fastly find out what one is for your right ear.

The comfort is amazing as its a mold of your ear.

I think just the plugs were around $60.00 not sure what the ear bud upgrade was.

I bet someone on here knows...

Lucky~

salazam wrote:
How much do they cost? what do they look like? are they comfortable?
@scootercat avatar
UTC

Hooked
2004 Vespa ET4

Hooked
@scootercat avatar
2004 Vespa ET4
UTC quote
Zumo 550 (MP3 player built-in) with 8GB SD card, and a Nolan N102 N-Com Bluetooth helmet. I can't get earbuds to stay in my ears period, so helmet speakers are the only way to go for me.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
FYI, in CA you're only legally allowed to have one earbud in.
May want to convert all your music to mono if you want to stay within the letter of the law.
True, true.. But a much easier solution would be to use one of these

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102690&cp=&sr=1&origkw=stereo+to+mono&kw=stereo+to+mono&parentPage=search

Then use whichever earphone still had sound. That way, when you use both headphones when you're not riding, you still get all the wonderful panning effects*

(*I listen to a lot of Beatles/Zeppelin, etc.)
@gopam avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160

Molto Verboso
@gopam avatar
2016 BMW R1200RT & 2007 GT200 & 2020 Vespa GTS SuperSport 300 HPE,2024 Honda ADV 160
UTC quote
I'm going to sound like my father here, but I like to hear all on the road. Like some engine revving into my lane like when some chump in a SUV Lexus decided to pass me on the right in my lane. I'd be nervous to listen to music while I ride. I need both my ears. I'm sounding like my father because he won't turn on his radio in his truck just so he can hear traffic to avoid accidents.
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint
Haud yer wheesh't if ye cannae be nice

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
UTC quote
There has been many variations through the years.

This one will get your arse pumping Razz emoticon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ7Ni11_5uM

Cheers
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
I'm going to sound like my father here, but I like to hear all on the road. Like some engine revving into my lane like when some chump in a SUV Lexus decided to pass me on the right in my lane. I'd be nervous to listen to music while I ride. I need both my ears. I'm sounding like my father because he won't turn on his radio in his truck just so he can hear traffic to avoid accidents.
I'm with you on that. but a lot of people who wear full face helmets really can't hear that much traffic when riding anyways. When I went from a half to a 3/4 I noticed I'd lost a lot of my ability to listen to traffic. If I wind up getting a FF/modular at the motorcycle show, I expect I might start thinking about some riding tunes. I've yet to decide if they'd help me focus or be a distraction, though. I may just experiment on some short rides.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I like the cheap headphone breaking idea. In accordance to the law I may have to be as I'm about to put the Motorola HS830 Bluetooth device on the helmet and that'll take up one of the earsockets. I originally bought that thing because I was under the impression that it would play music also. Now I'm trying to justify my purchase with the intercom feature it has and am trying to pressure my fiancee to buy one too. Personally I"m not one to gab on the phone while I ride, but it will be nice to actually pick up phone calls while i"m out instead of helplessly staring at the incoming call.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
I might consider the expensive earbud thing, but yeah, I don't want to block out the sounds of the road entirely.

gopam, after a while you learn to filter out the sounds you need to... although this is also probably because the earbuds have fallen out.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
jimh wrote:
There has been many variations through the years.

This one will get your arse pumping Razz emoticon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ7Ni11_5uM

Cheers
I've seen similar setups, but I would never put a system like this in a bike that didn't have a kickstart!!!
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
UTC quote
I agree Drew, However, i have never got into listening to anything other than the motor on my scooter. I just would feel out of touch of what's going on around me. Besides i love the sound of a 2 stroke

Cheers
@boulty avatar
UTC

Moderator Australis
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)

Moderator Australis
@boulty avatar
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone, 2014 Vespa 150 Primavera (sold) 2003 Vespa GT200 (sold)
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
+1
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
Oops! missed this
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
maybe the opening wasn't clear enough:
<b>For those of you who dare listen to music while you ride</b> if you don't listen to music, then this doesn't regard you. please politely don't say anything. thank you.
@eenie816 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4

Addicted
@eenie816 avatar
'65 sprint, '75 primavera, '01 et4
UTC quote
i ride with my ipod sometimes, usually on a really long ride. i have disc shaped headphones that i slid into the built in speaker pockets in my helmet. that way it's out of my ear and i can still hear traffic around me, but i have some background music. i won't buy a helmet without speaker pockets now. earbuds hurt my ears anyway.

i don't ride with music at night or bad weather conditions or if i'm near the end of my ride and tired when my concentration is low.
@jimh avatar
UTC

MV Saint

MV Saint
@jimh avatar
UTC quote
salazam wrote:
maybe the opening wasn't clear enough:
<b>For those of you who dare listen to music while you ride</b> if you don't listen to music, then this doesn't regard you. please politely don't say anything. thank you.
Mate, You forgot a smiley face! Or did you?

Salazam, members will chime in regardless and maybe express their views regarding your post, good or bad on your part. That is part of the MV history.

Smiling whilst typing

Cheers
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John
p200, vbb, gt200, px150, vnb

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
chad, that's a great idea! and way cheaper than say something like a Camos setup (the BHS-600 is $200!!!) I just wonder how it would fit under the helmet.
@glasseye avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125

Ossessionato
@glasseye avatar
GTS, LX, VSD, VSX, VNX, LD 125, Chucky, LI125
UTC quote
I hear better on a bike with earplugs......always.

Wind noise kills me, can hear nothing else.

So adding music is a win win for me.

I use Shure in ear earbuds....seal out the wind altogether.

my $0.02.....

R

8)
@ariw22 avatar
UTC

Addicted
'07 LX150 (Dragon Red), '06 GTS250ie (Black)

Addicted
@ariw22 avatar
UTC quote
i use a grippit cupholder with a cup containing little speakers plugged in to my ipod shuffle. the cup acts as an amp. works really well and i don't have anything in my ears.
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
ariw22 wrote:
i use a grippit cupholder with a cup containing little speakers plugged in to my ipod shuffle. the cup acts as an amp. works really well and i don't have anything in my ears.
With the cupholder on the helmet? Razz emoticon
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
glasseye wrote:
I hear better on a bike with earplugs......always.

Wind noise kills me, can hear nothing else.

So adding music is a win win for me.

I use Shure in ear earbuds....seal out the wind altogether.

my $0.02.....

R

8)
I was thinking of that too... although Shures are expensive (worth it I'm sure, they make excellent microphones that rival AKG). They don't get pulled out of your ears when you put your helmet on?
@starreem avatar
UTC

Ossessionato
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas

Ossessionato
@starreem avatar
07 GTS250(RIP), 13 GTS300, Several Lambrettas
UTC quote
scootercat wrote:
Zumo 550 (MP3 player built-in) with 8GB SD card, and a Nolan N102 N-Com Bluetooth helmet. I can't get earbuds to stay in my ears period, so helmet speakers are the only way to go for me.
How well do the speakers compete with the wind noise? I have an N102 N-Com, and I find it very noisy. I bought it with the intention eventually of your same set-up. I tried my ipod ear buds on one trip, and the wind noise was an issue for me.

BTW, I usually wear foam earplugs for any journey that takes me out of town.
@oscillator avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Rally 200

Molto Verboso
@oscillator avatar
1974 Rally 200
UTC quote
While I believe effective and safe moto/scoot riding demands full concentration, hence no music while riding, others may not share that opinion (hi M@).

You will find custom molded earplugs w/ embedded earbuds @ the LB motoshow for ~ US$150.

An alternative is Etymotic isolating earbuds: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

FWIW, I use the high-end ER4 @ home and the above ER6i when travelling. The ER4's are the best audiofile EB's I've have found so far & the ER6i are no slouch and considerably more affordable - they can be had ~US$70.

\osc
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
ariw22 wrote:
How long have you been using your Grippit? I've had 2 fail after a couple months because the suction cups crapped out.

Can you really hear well while riding using this set up? What kind of helmet do you wear?
@ariw22 avatar
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
@ariw22 avatar
UTC quote
salazam wrote:
ariw22 wrote:
With the cupholder on the helmet? Razz emoticon
glovebox... i should try my helmet!
@chad avatar
UTC

Olivia Newton-John

Olivia Newton-John
@chad avatar
UTC quote
salazam wrote:
chad, that's a great idea! and way cheaper than say something like a Camos setup (the BHS-600 is $200!!!) I just wonder how it would fit under the helmet.
i have a hjc full face that i use it with sometimes, works great.
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
There was a Motorola Bluetooth headset made to mount on helmets, the HS830. I see them on eBay all the time, but be careful because I think there are several versions of it.

Check it on Amazon.
@bssart avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 250 GTie

Enthusiast
@bssart avatar
Vespa 250 GTie
UTC quote
Satellite radio rocks.

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text

@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
art.in.memphis wrote:
Satellite radio rocks.
And, apparently, so do drop shadows!

How do you actually listen to the radio? Helmet headphones? Standard earbuds?
@bssart avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 250 GTie

Enthusiast
@bssart avatar
Vespa 250 GTie
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
art.in.memphis wrote:
Satellite radio rocks.
And, apparently, so do drop shadows!

How do you actually listen to the radio? Helmet headphones? Standard earbuds?
Earbuds with drop shadows.
@nola_john avatar
UTC

Addicted
GTS, PX125E, P200

Addicted
@nola_john avatar
GTS, PX125E, P200
UTC quote
I got some of these: Motorcycle Helmet Speakers w/ Volume Control
They are fairly flat and velcro inside the helmet. They sound pretty good, but you have to position them just right for sound quality and comfort which takes a while. They are more for long rides that you can prep for, not really for grab and go.
@dongoose avatar
UTC

Addicted
GT 200L named Prosciutto

Addicted
@dongoose avatar
GT 200L named Prosciutto
UTC quote
gopam wrote:
I'm going to sound like Pam's father too, but add that I actually think headphones can throw off one's sense of balance/equilibrium. I don't ride with tunes on my scoot but I tried riding my mountain bike with an iPod and I turned into a total trail turd. Stuff I previously had almost innate etherial flow on became a thunky sucession of biffs. And that's in an enviroment without traffic!

When scooting, I think my helmet and earplugs filter out a certain level of noise but still allow me to hear well. It also takes a certain amount of concentration to listen to music particularly when its in your ear and I think it detracts from your available attention/reaction span...kinda how breaking in a leaned turn uses up available traction. But that's me...your results may vary.

All that said, I do know people who have fitted Giro TuneUps--an MP3 and phone audio kit for snow sport helmets--to motocross helmets with relative ease. I imagine it would work well for street helmets too...here's the gist: http://reviews.cnet.com/specialized-electronics/giro-tune-ups-ii/4505-3505_7-30979134.html. Again I wouldn't do it, but I'm not you...and at least these aren't in-ear headphones.

Dongoose
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
There was a Motorola Bluetooth headset made to mount on helmets, the HS830. I see them on eBay all the time, but be careful because I think there are several versions of it.

Check it on Amazon.
The HS830 doesn't play music because it's not A2DP enabled. I found this out the hard way and now I have one. Anyone want? $40 and it's yours! Razz emoticon
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
salazam wrote:
ericalm wrote:

Check it on Amazon.
The HS830 doesn't play music because it's not A2DP enabled. I found this out the hard way and now I have one. Anyone want? $40 and it's yours! Razz emoticon
Well, crap. Even from a music device with built-in Bluetooth such as an iPhone? So all this is good for is phone conversations?
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
ericalm wrote:
salazam wrote:
ericalm wrote:

Check it on Amazon.
Well, crap. Even from a music device with built-in Bluetooth such as an iPhone? So all this is good for is phone conversations?
Yes. There are headsets that do accommodate A2DP, like the Camos BHS-500 and BHS-600. But I think I'm going with what chad suggested, the Motorola S9. I too have an HJC helmet! We could be brothers!
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0321s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0119s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]