Gobshite Shiva
Kymco Downtown 300i the 'Dolphin Noise'

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
UTC quote
Dongoose wrote:
gopam wrote:
I'm going to sound like my father here, but I like to hear all on the road. Like some engine revving into my lane like when some chump in a SUV Lexus decided to pass me on the right in my lane. I'd be nervous to listen to music while I ride. I need both my ears. I'm sounding like my father because he won't turn on his radio in his truck just so he can hear traffic to avoid accidents.
I'm going to sound like Pam's father too, but add that I actually think headphones can throw off one's sense of balance/equilibrium. I don't ride with tunes on my scoot but I tried riding my mountain bike with an iPod and I turned into a total trail turd. Stuff I previously had almost innate etherial flow on became a thunky sucession of biffs. And that's in an enviroment without traffic!
concentration and ambient noise don't even register on my worry radar. my reluctance to listen to music while on the scoot has to do with the effect that tunes have on me. playing music - any kind of music, though drum n bass is by far the worst - whilst driving a car just makes me grind the accelerator pedal into the floor. i get way too excited by music to even consider listening to anything if i'm taking the scooter out in london traffic. i'd be road pizza before i got to the end of my street.
@wonder_machine avatar
UTC

Size of a Chaffinch
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)

Size of a Chaffinch
@wonder_machine avatar
PX 125 "The Bruise" (SOLD)
UTC quote
road pizza - what a great phrase, may I borrow it?

i.e "Look at that courier undertaking a bus, he's road pizza"
@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
genie wrote:
playing music - any kind of music, though drum n bass is by far the worst - whilst driving a car just makes me grind the accelerator pedal into the floor. i get way too excited by music
My first ticket happened right after I installed a cassette player in my '72 Subaru. I was "Rockin' Down the Highway" to the Doobies.
@oscillator avatar
UTC

Molto Verboso
1974 Rally 200

Molto Verboso
@oscillator avatar
1974 Rally 200
UTC quote
genie wrote:
...the effect that tunes have on me...
Heheh.

\osc
@genie avatar
UTC

Gobshite Shiva

Gobshite Shiva
@genie avatar
UTC quote
Wonder Machine wrote:
road pizza - what a great phrase, may I borrow it?

i.e "Look at that courier undertaking a bus, he's road pizza"
by all means - 'road pizza' is an open source quip
@bssart avatar
UTC

Enthusiast
Vespa 250 GTie

Enthusiast
@bssart avatar
Vespa 250 GTie
UTC quote
Don't mix up "Street Pizza" with "Road Pizza."

Two very different meanings.
⬆️    About 1 month elapsed    ⬇️
@rkirt avatar
UTC

2006 GT 200(I think my wife's now) , 2005 BMW R1200RT

@rkirt avatar
UTC quote
Has anyone mounted a set of amplified speakers on your scooter? Seems like the glove box might be a handy area to hold a couple small ones. And there is voltage nearby.

My idea would be to mount them inside, not on the door. Cut some slits or vents in the door and cover with waterproof fabric. Kind of like they do on motorcycles. It would be nice to have a setup that would not only amplify sound but run your IPod/MP3 player as well.

Any radios been installed? CD players?

I am new here, just got a GT200. It's fun so far.

Rkirt
2006 GT200
2005 R1200RT
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator
LX 190, Aurora Blue + Stella FOUR STROKE FURY! + '87 Helix

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Rkirt wrote:
Has anyone mounted a set of amplified speakers on your scooter? Seems like the glove box might be a handy area to hold a couple small ones. And there is voltage nearby.

My idea would be to mount them inside, not on the door. Cut some slits or vents in the door and cover with waterproof fabric. Kind of like they do on motorcycles. It would be nice to have a setup that would not only amplify sound but run your IPod/MP3 player as well.

Rkirt
2006 GT200
2005 R1200RT
A lot of people have done variations of this and I've seen speakers for sale which mount in the glove box of a P-series/Stella. They're pricey, though.

I'm never convinced that glovebox-mounted speakers would provide sufficient volume and decent sound. I'm not audiophile but don't want to be riding along, obnoxiously blasting tunes at all around me through tinny speakers.
@olhogrider avatar
UTC

I Break Jets

I Break Jets
@olhogrider avatar
UTC quote
The only one of those I have seen that worked was an Electra-Glide. Both saddlebags were filled with amps, subwoofer in the topbox along with PS3 and plasma screen TV. Speakers were mounted in the fairing. He cranked up a movie louder than his Harley pipes would go! I'll stick with my Ipod and Etymotic ER6s.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
Rkirt wrote:

Rkirt
2006 GT200
2005 R1200RT
Get 'em while their hot!

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/Scooter-Stereo-System-BLACK-SPEAKERS/1407/

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan
1985 PX200E Arcobaleno : 2010/14 GTS300 S: RIP GTS250 @ 40K

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC quote
ericalm...
wouldnt it be funny to roll up on ur scoot, thumping "boys in the hood" while a car load of thugs stare at you. ROFL emoticon
@rkirt avatar
UTC

@rkirt avatar
UTC quote
Too late, on backorder.

[/quote]

Get 'em while their hot!

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_detail/Scooter-Stereo-System-BLACK-SPEAKERS/1407/

External inline image provided by member with no explanatory text[/quote]
@dudel avatar
UTC

Hooked
custom mini-motorcycle

Hooked
@dudel avatar
custom mini-motorcycle
UTC quote
I added speakers to my helmet. That way, you can set the volume as background and still hear what is going on (as opposed to earbuds). I used the speakers from my old Giro snowboarding helmet. The Giro system has a "mute" button in-line which allows you to simply reach up and turn off the sound if you want to pay more attention.
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC quote
Not realistic...
but its too bad you couldnt run the radio off another battery thats seperate from the scooters, and then have the radio battery recharge off solar power.

Will the GTS electric system support the radio without the above. Id hate to have to jump start my scoot.

Drew have u installed or played with the above system?

Damn Drew you the man, I ve bombarding you with questions all morning.

curious,
@teller avatar
UTC

Vespa GTS 250

@teller avatar
Vespa GTS 250
UTC quote
I've experimented with listening to music while riding. It didn't make me feel unsafe, nor loose my balance (although it was a different story when I tried that while snowboarding). It made for a nicer riding experience and I was still aware of the traffic around me. Just didn't turn the volume up too much.

I used some random tiny in-ear buds (you don't need anything super expensive) that fit nicely under my Vespa Copter helmet. The experience was similar to that of riding with earbuds - wind noise filtered out, but you can still hear other cars, sirens etc. The longest ride I did while listening to music was 200 km / 125 miles, I think.

I'd encourage you to give it a go. If you're hesitant then take it easy - go off peak, smaller roads, see how it works for you.

And I'm with Genie here - good music really makes you to crank up the speed

Safe riding, Teller
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC

WHOoligan

WHOoligan
@snapshot05 avatar
UTC quote
newyears eve...
I had my mp3 player strapped to my arm with a set of extrenal speakers I bought from Toy r Us for $5 something. worked great at slow speeds.

"What sound wifey, oh that, that was the nineth live for some cat. Ouch, I was only kidding."
OP
UTC

Addicted

Addicted
UTC quote
Chad: I went to Best Buy with my helmet and they let me try on the Motorola S9. My head's too big, the thing fits weird. Even without the helmet it pinches right above my ears. I almost bought one too, I'm glad I tried it on first. The idea just seemed so good!!

I'll start saving up for some Shure's I suppose.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
Re: Not realistic...
snapshot05 wrote:
but its too bad you couldnt run the radio off another battery thats seperate from the scooters, and then have the radio battery recharge off solar power.

Will the GTS electric system support the radio without the above. Id hate to have to jump start my scoot.

Drew have u installed or played with the above system?

Damn Drew you the man, I ve bombarding you with questions all morning.

curious,
I knew a guy in Philly that had a set in his P. Not a bad setup on a bike where you're not depending on the battery to start your bike. The sound was ok, not awesome, but hey, it's a scooter..

I use these and they're a great upgrade from the iPod stock in-ear phones:

If you want a totally non-bike powered setup, try the Hymini for power. http://www.hymini.com/

It's a super cool mini wind turbine that you can also attach solar panels to. You could easily rig them to power an iPod on your bike, as it generates more power than the iPod consumes. You could use speakers that don't have a self-amplifier, as most cheapies usually are. You could also use ear buds, with a headphone splitter if you have a passenger.
@cary_alburn avatar
UTC

Hooked
LX150

Hooked
@cary_alburn avatar
LX150
UTC quote
My old Kaw Voyager XII had a pretty good stereo, but the cycle mounted speakers were only good for relatively low speeds, such as in town. Since I also had an intercom on the bike, we used the speakers in the helmets to listen to music on the highway. Still, it didn't provide very "hi-fi" sound--but better than nothing on longer rides.

I never felt that I was unable to hear the traffic around me, whether I was using the bike speakers or the helmet speakers, so I wouldn't hesitate to use some sort of music system on the scooter.

Cary
@ericalm avatar
UTC

Wiki Moderator

Wiki Moderator
@ericalm avatar
UTC quote
Burton makes a $650 snowboarding jacket that has built-in Bluetooth and speakers in the hood.

I'm not a boarder but some of their other jackets are pretty cool. Maybe they should expand into scooter gear-just slap some denier nylon on there, drop in some armor...
@godoggo avatar
UTC

Addicted
06 GT200

Addicted
@godoggo avatar
06 GT200
UTC quote
earbuds
-
gopam wrote:
I'm going to sound like my father here, but I like to hear all on the road. Like some engine revving into my lane like when some chump in a SUV Lexus decided to pass me on the right in my lane. I'd be nervous to listen to music while I ride. I need both my ears. I'm sounding like my father because he won't turn on his radio in his truck just so he can hear traffic to avoid accidents.
+1

Godoggo

-
@genoaj avatar
UTC

2012 Yamaha TW200, 2006 GT200

@genoaj avatar
UTC quote
[quote="Rkirt"]Has anyone mounted a set of amplified speakers on your scooter? Seems like the glove box might be a handy area to hold a couple small ones. And there is voltage nearby.

I never ridden with my iPod, but have cranked up a hand held radio and put it in my glove compartment. It's enjoyable, but the radio can be a drag when you're stopped at a light and Britney's blaring.
@drewteague avatar
UTC

Ossessionato

Ossessionato
@drewteague avatar
UTC quote
[quote="GenoaJ"]
Rkirt wrote:

I never ridden with my iPod, but have cranked up a hand held radio and put it in my glove compartment. It's enjoyable, but the radio can be a drag when you're stopped at a light and Britney's blaring.
Hmm.. Well, I would think you would know which stations in your area are prone to playing Britney, and avoid them at all costs!! If you don't, then you have no one to blame but yourself..
@genoaj avatar
UTC

@genoaj avatar
UTC quote
I'm stuck with the local pop station with the strong signal.
Maybe I should reconsider the earbuds!
@dru avatar
UTC

Addicted
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e

Addicted
@dru avatar
Piaggio BV500, Genuine Stella, P200e
UTC quote
olhogrider wrote:
genie wrote:
playing music - any kind of music, though drum n bass is by far the worst - whilst driving a car just makes me grind the accelerator pedal into the floor. i get way too excited by music
My first ticket happened right after I installed a cassette player in my '72 Subaru. I was "Rockin' Down the Highway" to the Doobies.
When I was 18, I had a series of 5 tickets in 4 months, all listening to one of two songs, and oddly all for the exact same offense, 63 in a 45, but all on different roads ..

Radar Love & Twilight Zone both by Golden Earring.

Needless to say, while great songs in their day, neither are included in any of my driving playlists
DoubleGood Design banner

Modern Vespa is the premier site for modern Vespa and Piaggio scooters. Vespa GTS300, GTS250, GTV, GT200, LX150, LXS, ET4, ET2, MP3, Fuoco, Elettrica and more.

Buy Me A Coffee

Shop on Amazon with Modern Vespa

Modern Vespa is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

All Content Copyright 2005-2024 by Modern Vespa.
All Rights Reserved.

[ Time: 0.0353s ][ Queries: 3 (0.0214s) ][ live ][ 313 ][ ThingOne ]